New Atlas series

PhilJ W

Hi all,

Are all Atlas series to a fixed scale? 

Both of the Stobart series are 1/76th, as are the Buses but I've just received a Burlingham Seagull (from the Coaches of the World series) which looks a little too large. I have heard that it may be 1/72nd.

Anyone got any ideas.

Great thread,

Thanks,

Steve

• RMweb Gold

B78D8696-59A9-429F-BD6D-819A96DCBB72.jpg

I was thinking of finishing my subscription to the collection but now they have interesting stuff coming through, the house is getting a bit like Mr treebus' now though with altas boxes all over the place, I keep opening cupboards and wardrobes and finding more of the damn things!

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone has had the same happen to them that happened to me this morning?

So, the postman comes to the door with a parcel. Alarm bells start ringing when I put it on the dining table and notice that it is from Atlas. Why would this be? I haven't sent for anything from them for months, if not a year, that being the 1:72 Birmingham Seagull that was released in the classic coaches collection a while back.

Anyway, I opened the parcel to discover this (names and addresses blanked out for obvious reasons):

post-22613-0-73607900-1484392038_thumb.jpg

It seems to be one of the Stobart big Komatsu excavators (haven't opened it yet as I don't want to just in case that would be the wrong thing to do), but they say that it is free, if you start the Stobart collection, or pay £2.99 for the model to end it there, with no option to just send the thing back. Here is the wording they use:

post-22613-0-21784400-1484392042_thumb.jpg

This doesn't seem on, has anyone else had this experience with Atlas?

Atlas had their knuckles rapped recently for misleading advertising. Direct marketing by sending you something you have not requested seems unethical to me. Maybe send them a note back to say that you charge for receiving and storing their unsolicited mail, and asking for the £50initial set-up fee for their account to be paid within 14 days. :-)

+https://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2016/12/Atlas-Editions-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_350249.aspx#.WHoXuoXXLy1

• Like 1

The Plaxton Panorama is 1/76 . Not shure about the Bedford Val.

The VAL is a Plaxton Panorama, this and the two axle version share the upper half castings and the two different lower halves were tooled from the same initial master so they'll both be the same scale which as you say is 1:76th. 

Well before Christmas I had come the Unimog and to say I'm Peed off with it would be an understatement it's not 1:76th if you measure the gauge on the guide wheels it's not even a scale 4'8.5" which is 18.833mm in 4mm and not what I was expecting and I'm still thinking of stopping having the models,

Being with Atlas on this run of models reminds me of the program "Gold Rush" the majority of models are just dirt and then there are a few very nice gold nuggets dropped in every now and then.

The jury is till out on weather to finish or continue at the moment. 

• RMweb Premium

Well before Christmas I had come the Unimog and to say I'm Peed off with it would be an understatement it's not 1:76th if you measure the gauge on the guide wheels it's not even a scale 4'8.5" which is 18.833mm in 4mm and not what I was expecting and I'm still thinking of stopping having the models,

Being with Atlas on this run of models reminds me of the program "Gold Rush" the majority of models are just dirt and then there are a few very nice gold nuggets dropped in every now and then.

The jury is till out on weather to finish or continue at the moment. 

I've sat one on P4 track and it sits perfectly. All other dimensions are accurate as well compared to published data.

The VAL is a Plaxton Panorama, this and the two axle version share the upper half castings and the two different lower halves were tooled from the same initial master so they'll both be the same scale which as you say is 1:76th. 

You are correct with regard to the Corgi OOC models. However, the Atlas VAL/Panorama in Wallace Arnold livery is not based on the Corgi tooing and is an entirely new casting in 1/72 scale. The Samuel Ledgard 2-axle Panorama is Corgi based and therefore 1/76, although for some reason it has the smaller VAL wheels that don't look right.

You are correct with regard to the Corgi OOC models. However, the Atlas VAL/Panorama in Wallace Arnold livery is not based on the Corgi tooing and is an entirely new casting in 1/72 scale. The Samuel Ledgard 2-axle Panorama is Corgi based and therefore 1/76, although for some reason it has the smaller VAL wheels that don't look right.

Seems a bizarre thing to do, tool up a model from scratch when there's already one available off the shelf, even more so to then go and use the previous tooling for a follow on one. Very strange.

I'm just looking at the Atlas website.  There seems an awful lot to read, but it appears that if you sign up you receive a model each month which you can either keep or return?  Unless I'm missing something obvious?

To be honest, I'm only really interested in the Doosan Daewoo Mega 300-V, as below.  Is this an Oxford Diecast model as I can't seem to find a reference for it anywhere else?

$_86.JPG

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

I'm just looking at the Atlas website.  There seems an awful lot to read, but it appears that if you sign up you receive a model each month which you can either keep or return?  Unless I'm missing something obvious?

To be honest, I'm only really interested in the Doosan Daewoo Mega 300-V, as below.  Is this an Oxford Diecast model as I can't seem to find a reference for it anywhere else?

$_86.JPG

Its not an Oxford Diecast model. IXO, Hongwell and Real-X have all produced models for Atlas as have other manufacturers. The Doosan is quite common and can be found on E-bay quite cheaply.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just received this months model, a Komatsu bulldozer, a nice little model. Its modelled with road-rail wheels at the back but nothing on the front, I assume these are removed to fit the dozer blade which is adjustable from side to side. One of the better models in the Atlas series.

• Like 1

Just received this months model, a Komatsu bulldozer, a nice little model. Its modelled with road-rail wheels at the back but nothing on the front, I assume these are removed to fit the dozer blade which is adjustable from side to side. One of the better models in the Atlas series.

Any photos Phil?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

It looks like they add a skid under the blade

https://goo.gl/images/95iBcD