Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

41 minutes ago, xm607 said:

Thanks for your reply, I knew of the Q kits resin body kit for the Super Deltic, but your approach is worth looking at for a model, I might be tempted to try one myself.

No trouble at all Steve, it was very much make it up as you go building it with a bit of guidance from some diagrams. Did not know Q Kits did one at somepoint, don't think iv seen another model or kit come up for sale. Interesting.

If any extra pics would help you ill get a few better ones taken.

Cheers

James

James, 

I n the past I have had a go at some nearly built loco’s, here are two inspired by an article by Colin Marsden on the class 58’s that never were, first is the straight electric class 88 for the west coast, converted from a BHE N gauge kit, and an export version of the 58 that Railfreight considered to replace the 20’s on coal trains, built from Hornby 58 components.

Picture 398.jpeg

Picture 222.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I don't remember the Canberra either, from earlier. Did well to land into that narrow strip between the two tracks 😀😀!!

John.

Oh there's all kinds of aircraft loitering about, other side of the layout has a V2 and one of them funny little German jets whilst an XB70 is dangling overhead, proper rule 1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xm607 said:

James, 

I n the past I have had a go at some nearly built loco’s, here are two inspired by an article by Colin Marsden on the class 58’s that never were, first is the straight electric class 88 for the west coast, converted from a BHE N gauge kit, and an export version of the 58 that Railfreight considered to replace the 20’s on coal trains, built from Hornby 58 components.

Picture 398.jpeg

Picture 222.jpeg

Evening Steve, now I think that's the first iv seem an electric 58/88, that looks a smart thing, is it shorter than a 58 or just the pic? Conversely 58 201 looks longer! Nice job on them both

After a fairly productive weekend last weekend this week has slowed down somewhat, too much work, parents evenings and then getting a cold really hasn't helped the pile of stuff thats ongoing.

Thr CCT is nearly there, just needs a bit of dirt on it, I found this interesting livery variation on flikr and had enough bits of transfers so it makes for an interesting addition. The others idea is done as a standard Eastern region one.

20231112_213617.jpg.57c2de1c67aaced50b697a95e703aa29.jpg

The pile of staniers are just awaiting the top lining on one side, may power through that lot tonight.

20231118_111136.jpg.45b84771ca6a8b834b16ca3a0e0e06ba.jpg

PoP Train is now 95% structurally complete, mixed up a big batch of milliput last night for a few bits and bobs and tried to fill in the 3d print lines on the cabin sections. Just primed them up and another round of filler required there.

20231118_111117.jpg.e228e5eaa364f6148ff2006f6f1a9842.jpg

From the batch of coaches my Dad has sent down, the Thompson BG and TK got more filler in the gaps and a sand doen this morning. These have been bashed together from a selection of BTK/BTK bodies I acquired in the summer when I did the sleeper BSk. I was going to sell them on but Dad decided to take on a challenge and they are coming up pretty well. The chassis will be heavily modified Tri Ang mk1s as we have plenty knocking about.

20231118_111121.jpg.93e1026f9947054d16402847ee6cca2f.jpg

The tank barrels also had a bit more filler, these will be getting RT Models ladders etc as per the previous class A Esso tanks I did earlier, got 2 sets of transfers left so these will get used up there.

20231118_152710.jpg.e1a2df9f1359404b639867b1f086d365.jpg

Also on the go is a Lima LMS BG I got pretty cheap, now on LMS bogies and will be going into blue to bolster the parcels rake.

Just to add to the pile, I picked up 6 resin ICI hopper wagons for 30 quid off Ebay for a bit of a surprise for my Dad, I think they may be the High Peak kits which are 80s vintage, they look alright but a fair bit of fettling needed and some bogies and wheels but should make up into an interesting rake. I need to do a bit of reading up on whether diamond frame or plate frame bogies for the early/mid 70s time frame I'm normally working in.

Lots to do but I'm having a day out to Bury tomorrow for their DMU weekend.

Cheers

James

• Like 8

Enjoy your day at the ELR - happens to be right on my doorstep, but unfortunately I’ll be rehearsing the on-stage kids’ band slap bang in the middle of the day (being a musician/MD/teacher, I often find my weekends are booked out to activities other than railway or modelling related events *sigh*)

I was going to say, if you see a chap with a beard and a real ale pint nursing a dirty great big camera taking photos of both trains and people, say hello to one of my old bosses, Laurence - he will talk with (rather than to) anyone, as he is an avid student of human nature…

Then I realised that maybe my description might need refining a little! 😆

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Enjoy your day at the ELR - happens to be right on my doorstep, but unfortunately I’ll be rehearsing the on-stage kids’ band slap bang in the middle of the day (being a musician/MD/teacher, I often find my weekends are booked out to activities other than railway or modelling related events *sigh*)

I was going to say, if you see a chap with a beard and a real ale pint nursing a dirty great big camera taking photos of both trains and people, say hello to one of my old bosses, Laurence - he will talk with (rather than to) anyone, as he is an avid student of human nature…

Then I realised that maybe my description might need refining a little! 😆

Steve S

Thanks Steve, I love a trip on the ELR, usually get across for each of the diesel galas but missed the Sept one this year so really looking forward to heading over today.

So a chap with a beard, drinking real ale and a camera... knowing The Trackside that's about 80% of the clientele on a gala day hahaha!

Cheers

James

• Agree 1

One of the kids who used to play in my concert band at Bury Music Centre as a teenager is now a guard on the ELR - he only learnt of my interest in railways etc after leaving for university and, last time we spoke, he promised me a footplate ride on a steamer - just let him know and he would organise it!

Needless to say, I’ve still not managed to arrange that!

My late father did one of their locomotive driving experience days when he was 70 - started the day helping prep a loco, then fireman, then drove the engine, then finished the day with one of their fine dining experiences (and yes, everything was booked a long time in advance to ensure everything dovetailed nearly. Have to say it was a very happy day for him indeed - thanks to the ELR.

Needless to say, we used to visit the ELR when it was literally just “Bury Transport Museum” based in the former goods shed at Bolton Street Station. To see it blossom into the railway it is today has been a joy.

How preserved lines running steam engines are going to fare with the price of coal rising through having to be imported, or the clamp down on CO2 emissions is a whole new chapter in the preservation story.

Have a great day (and take an umbrella!)

Steve S

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it doesn't feel like nearly 4 weeks from my last post but then again it's been a pretty busy few weeks with onr thing and another that doesn't involve trains. Although I did get rather wet over at Bury after my last post.

So, here is what's been going on in the last few weeks:

The pile of maroon Staniers and CCT's got lined  numbered and varnished and are running around the layout now behind the home made Stanier mogul and I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with how they came out, u have got a set of port hole 2nd open sides on the way so another one will be added to the rake at somepoint.

20231206_200626.jpg.cdef1a8fc8d73f6daf358e3078b5fee6.jpg20231214_182539.jpg.35138f8a15520071824aeb68e271ad01.jpg20231214_185705.jpg.d9630297856438ad32d3f4e9111fb96c.jpg

My Dad has grafted in a toilet window to one of his suburban bargain coaches to create an ER prototypical set, I'm just doing some last bits of filling and I'll have all 4 ready to go into blue which will be quite a good rake and something a little different.

20231214_182509.jpg.8d1bad0ab108fda886f018f20d0a7cd2.jpg

The PoP Train is slowly edging along, transfers ordered from Railtec so should have that nearly done soon.

A newcomer is our bashed 'Ferry CCT' we have had an idea of how to make one for a while so when I got a Lima CCT body going cheap on Ebay the plan got into gear. Body chopped down and married up to a Dapol Interfrigo van chassis, wheel base is slightly short but itl do for me, just on with tidying the body up then ill think about what bits are needed for the chassis.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferrymotorcarvan

20231207_181822.jpg.79d102d5eeb79dd249e953d2f6d54986.jpg

20231214_182559.jpg.75704f0f2e4d6be7575106425a85fa76.jpg

Couple of other bits in process are some Thompson coaches, a pair of Esso class A tanks and a LMS CCT and a mk2d TSO made from 2 BSO's amongst the things closest to completion/ in boxes hiding around my house.

Roll on the Christmas break from work!

Hopefully more updates soon as I need to clear some space.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Looking at that Ferry CCT I’m amazed how you’ve got the sides so smooth with the detail undamaged.

The ferry CCTs originally had windows, as did the prototype CCT on which they were based.

However, the Customs Service rejected them as being insecure, so the windows were plated-over. The outline of the windows could be detected throughout their life.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 2

33 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Looking at that Ferry CCT I’m amazed how you’ve got the sides so smooth with the detail undamaged.

Thanks Colin, my Dad is pretty pleased with it, cleverly he did the cuts on the plain sections to preserve as much as he could, and to get the little grills in the right places, if you look closely you will see the model is missing a set of grills against protype but that's doen to the Lima CCT having a set less. I bobbed a little bit more filler in here and there so should come out pretty flat but like John says you could see where the windows were plated up so won't lose too much sleep over it.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Ah, never thought! Rare to see them go cheap at mo, couple of quid for a CCT body was close enough haha!

Not that I was doubting you, but, not having paid more than a tenner for a Lima GUV, I was interested to see on eBay where the prices have gone, crikey!!

Mike.

18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not that I was doubting you, but, not having paid more than a tenner for a Lima GUV, I was interested to see on eBay where the prices have gone, crikey!!

Mike.

Oh exactly, some crazy prices out there at the mo....

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Thanks Colin, my Dad is pretty pleased with it, cleverly he did the cuts on the plain sections to preserve as much as he could, and to get the little grills in the right places, if you look closely you will see the model is missing a set of grills against protype but that's doen to the Lima CCT having a set less. I bobbed a little bit more filler in here and there so should come out pretty flat but like John says you could see where the windows were plated up so won't lose too much sleep over it.

Cheers

James

I have done the prototype CCT and GUV, and the 4W (as built) and bogie Ferry Vans - all from Lima models.

I'll try and dig out some photos.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have done the prototype CCT and GUV, and the 4W (as built) and bogie Ferry Vans - all from Lima models.

I'll try and dig out some photos.

CJI.

Brill, yeah please do as they are on the 'list' 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm sure I did a post just before Christmas but obviously not!

So anyway, happy new year all and hope everyone got through the trials and tribulations of the festive period unscathed?

Modelling wise took a slight back seat as we went away for new year but being back at work and the tedium of January starts to bite iv been ploughing on with the various projects trying to get things tidied up.

So, I suppose to sum things up, here is the batch of stuff now ready for a coat of varnish:

The 4 suburbans now all blue and lettered, yes I don't think a composite got into blue but it looks nice and the other side is just 2nd. The 2nd Lav just needs a bit more blue on the toilet vent but it just about done. 

20240107_212646.jpg.b90cd9d80eeec057f63fac622986a725.jpg20240107_212653.jpg.66da75d1b86e573aa811593d218b8cd8.jpg20240107_212707.jpg.1eaeeb12931ae98bad3e7b636ad4b18c.jpg

PoP Train ready for varnish then I can put the windows in and the roofs on etc and it's done.

20240107_212551.jpg.b3b9ca0602e7a1b073b588347ca17370.jpg20240107_212627.jpg.1676e8a19f502700c2af0061460eb675.jpg

Esso class A tanks all lettered and dirtied as per the others to bolster the rake.

20240107_212802.jpg.550ba6686f422f915646c93856ee52f8.jpg

Lima 50ft LMS BG new bogies and repaint into blue to go into the parcels rake (s)

20240107_212719.jpg.d7f4680f22545d3bf2ab3159d7fdf5e4.jpg

Bulleid SK, mash up of the Southern Pride sides left over from the one I did with brass sides in maroon, we had a couple of SP clear sides which have been mated to a Hornby chassis with SP boxes etc, still on BR1s for now- door furniture put in today so ready to head back for Dad to number.

20240107_212734.jpg.9aa6a173f16db1188f404154978ba690.jpg

Here is the list of stuff now in the 'painted, ready for transfers and chassis'

Thompson full brakes, the planked one is comet sides which I'd had for years on another chassis which got repurposed so the sides etc have been put on the remains of a tri ang southern bg with Thompson ends, not sure exactly where the roof cane from. Anyway it looks OK and worth the effort doing door bump stops etc this time around.

20240107_212831.jpg.30ce6da62cb1fc75e0a7c1c4be0ebdaa.jpg20240107_212820.jpg.b6c9cbf7aa1576ff9c1f83048a146b11.jpg

The steel one is an amalgamation of bits using up the box of BSK/BCK bodies I got last year, painted up in 'crimson' this may get changed.

20240107_214557.jpg.9a9510810c96ae631a4f08827bf502d4.jpg

20240107_214549.jpg.8c3b7b7abeba0d5e328f1a7d60ddad7e.jpg

Sk- again made up from bits of the BSK/BCK scrap heap, turned out pretty nicely.

BSK- best of the bodies so straight repaint

20240107_212921.jpg.7eca2cadf4059a45c0919a174da63c1f.jpg

Now to the 'Nearly Started' job- I think these are High Peak ICI hopper kits, iv got enough bogies now so these are jumping up the queue, filler applied to the tops of the tubd to fill up any air bubbles, as you can see some of them were a bit rough, sanding and filing will have to be an outside job so could be a slow project with the weather but very much looking forward to cracking on.

20240107_213021.jpg.677671d059a08806b495785aad885846.jpg

Other bits waiting in the wings-

Stanier SK porthole sides to mount to a Dapol donor to go into blue and grey.

Another suburban 2nd and another to do brass sides for a lav comp.

Thompson BZ chassis to be ordered from Comet as well, saves faffing about trying to make one!

Ferry CCT currently researching chassis stuff so this will probs get going again this week when I raid the wagon underframe bits box.

Plus plenty of other odds and sods sat in boxes to get finished.. I may even get back into detailing locos again this year as I don't think we have much room for more wagons/coaches!

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
Adding pics/sorting spelling
  • Like 7

James 

Great to see all this stuff making progress. When modelling takes a back seat at your house your still doing a lot more than me at the moment. hopefully that should change soon. 

Can i ask at about your extended Esso tank wagons, how are you cutting up the tanks to extend them? Is there a specific way of doing it to keep the bands etc in the right place or is it easier than that? Also,do you need to do anything to the chassis and under frame or do they stay as is?

John

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, John76 said:

James 

Great to see all this stuff making progress. When modelling takes a back seat at your house your still doing a lot more than me at the moment. hopefully that should change soon. 

Can i ask at about your extended Esso tank wagons, how are you cutting up the tanks to extend them? Is there a specific way of doing it to keep the bands etc in the right place or is it easier than that? Also,do you need to do anything to the chassis and under frame or do they stay as is?

John

Cheers John, yeah seem to have a lot on go at the mo.. it's my Dads fault, he churns stuff out and sends it to me for finishing!

So for the tankers, I havnt a really good pic of what we did but off top of my head we used 2nd hand tankers mainly so if we had a pretty bad one we would use that barrel for the extensions, from memory it's 1cm to be extended so we cut 2 5mm slices from the donor barrel then added them in to the 'good' barrel just after the ring I think.

Hopefully the crop below from another pic you can just see where the cuts are?

20230506_142400.jpg.b45e6dad5bc8a670e7e911fd408bb942.jpg.c040a62176b0f1e6f2ad3d296fc88d49.jpg

As for chassis we kept as standard, Eagle eyed people may spot some are made up the wrong way round but that is what we worked with. The etched walkways and ladders from RT Models are well worth it. I think the rake of 7 has cost us less than 40 quid all in all. Not including the amount of filler and new wheels haha!

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all, not done a great deal for a couple of weeks after the last posts, I got a lot of stuff varnished up and rebuilt and sent back up to the layout and got some other bits down to my house to mess about with.

20240204_213228.jpg.564b439a53764154356a648c078b8c04.jpg

Currently on the go is a the Met Cam prototype FK, Southern Pride sides mounted on an old mainline mk1. Extra gutter strips added and new shell vents added following a delivery of bits this week, door hinges added this weekend and holes drilled in prep for door furniture. Need another coat of primer now.

Also on the go is something a little bit special, this is what we think is the only Comet Diagram 32 Booth Car, the box is marked up as a demo build which i dont think ever went into production so this could be the only one. It has come to me via @Clive Mortimore and @Mallard60022 who got it from Geoff Brewin when he had Comet models.

20240203_192814.jpg.09368fc1329e76f5acd89aa11a9d7973.jpg20240203_192807.jpg.f119691fde690921f60958be6f2345ec.jpg

It's been with me since summer last year, it had been partially built and had got a little bent I'm guessing in the post etc, I think it's been in the box a while as there is a very perished elastic band in there. I de soldered the sides from the ends and popped it away pending acquiring some extra bits for it although it came with all main components and hand written notes I had an idea so go the extra mile and get an interior etc.

Various bits have been sourced over the last few months, notable some self adhesive window frames from Southern Pride and an interior kit.

I set to this weekend cleaning up the brass and the ends and slowly straightened things up and started the rebuild, once the shell was solid I added all the usual end detail etc and made sure the roof sits nicely. Not having made a Comet kit in full before iv built the shell round the underframe and ends.

20240203_192822.jpg.2d6bda7a84a76725eeeb39cb0e3df35e.jpg

Door hinges are from Southern Pride and the underframe gear on do far is a mix of Comet and Southern Pride, the kit didn't come with the catering etched bits like the refrigeration unit so I'll probably scratch/bodge build somethings that look right, coming along nicely.

20240204_213132.jpg.b47b83972f38269ad61e0239a7a09434.jpg20240204_213156.jpg.72de55a59e754099000b987a218737fc.jpg

The bogies came already wheeledvand built but with BR1 side frames so I've ordered some B5 sideframes from Dart Castings, it's already weighing a fair bit so adding them on I doubt itl need extra weight in.

There doesn't seem to be too many pics out there of it but I have seen it got refurbished in around 1970 when an extra toilet window was put in on the corridor side, these etches look to be original format so was only in service 2 years as per my model. I think the Southern Pride etches portray the later side layout, if anyone has any pics of it I'd love to see them!

Thanks to Phil and Clive for allowing me to give it a home, can't wait yo get the interior in with the prototypes green tables!

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1