Ilkley locomotive shed, 4mm P4 1950s

Jub45565

Hi All

Been off topic for a week or so following our little earthquake.  Being a geotechnical engineer, I tend to get pretty busy when the earth moves.

I have some photos of the coal drops c. 1983, before they were butchered for the car park entrance.  I will try and dig something out and post it when I get a minute.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I would appreciate that, just to see what it reveals about the top structure.

Tom

Gday Folks

I've been meaning to write this for the last 4 days but every time I start I get a memory overload  

and have to give it away , sorry about that

First,  Thank You Tom , for posting that photo .It is magic,  yours is o/k our kid, but that is magic

Andrew, I think is right , the original privies probably went the same time as the foot bridge end,

to widen Springs Lane . In the 40s 50s the toilets were water closets and no sign of being anything  

else, I cant see the Midland Railway  putting that in when they built them in the 1880s. The coal

bunker was behind the toilet with the wash house next door. The house was as David says 2 rooms

down stairs 3 up The lean too at the back was a scullery and porch the front just a porch The only

features in the gardens was a shed at the bottom of our garden the 4th or no 7 and a large  cherry

tree at the bottom of no 3. If you wanted to  model the houses in November in the 50s ?. There

would have been a very large bonfire  built on that area between the gardens and  the first track

All the local kids would collect firewood from as far away as Crossbeck Rd for bonfire night ,we

always had the biggest fire in the district . I had better post this before I lose it all again if you want

more just ask                                       

Later Ron

Hi, Ron you're right they would have been a very large bonfire built there in the 70's one of the biggest in Ilkley for many a year, I was one of the local kids who use to build it every year, the Railway sidings use to be our playground spent many a time down there as I only lived on Springs Terrace, it was built by the kids from Springs Terrace, Tivoli Place, Richmond Place and from Railway Terrace and one or two other's. People use to ask us if they were allowed to come to the Bonfire on November 5th when we were building it as it was so Big, and yes we allowed people to come from all over. We use to play down there so much in the end the Railway Police I think just turned a blind eye and gave up as long as we didn't go anywhere near the Lines, I can say just on the odd occasion we may have wondered a little close as kids do. And your right we went all over Ilkley collecting wood and you name it anything and everything we could get our hands on we put it on the bonfire. Great times! Thanks Bryan.

Thanks for that Bryan

Nice to know the fires where still burning, I had left by then

Pulling trains across Australia.

Tom. or any one else. Will you look at Argyle Loco Works or

Trackshack  web sites 

in there gauge one offerings are some 4 wheel tanks are they same

as the ammonia tanks ??

Later Ron.

Hi Ron,

I can't see any of the ammonia tankers available on the trackshack website currently.  The right ones are from Hornby.  R6360 is in WD black as an example, and this livery did work through Ilkley.  They also did them in silver but I think those are labelled Methanol, though I expect CCT (Cambridge Custom Transfers) do a sheet suitable for them.

I think these tankers were previously in the Mainline range as these - though I'm not sure when they were painted blue.  I think WD Black or ICI white would be right for the late 50s.

http://picclick.co.uk/Mainline-00-gauge-ICI-Ammonia-Liquor-tankers-x-201704859705.html

My modelling of late has been sorting out a ex-LMS D1807 TO (I'll get some photos up later in the week) but should soon be back onto the turntable...

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Ron,

I can't see any of the ammonia tankers available on the trackshack website currently.  The right ones are from Hornby.  R6360 is in WD black as an example, and this livery did work through Ilkley.  They also did them in silver but I think those are labelled Methanol, though I expect CCT (Cambridge Custom Transfers) do a sheet suitable for them.

I think these tankers were previously in the Mainline range as these - though I'm not sure when they were painted blue.  I think WD Black or ICI white would be right for the late 50s.

http://picclick.co.uk/Mainline-00-gauge-ICI-Ammonia-Liquor-tankers-x-201704859705.html

My modelling of late has been sorting out a ex-LMS D1807 TO (I'll get some photos up later in the week) but should soon be back onto the turntable...

Cheers,

Pete

Sorry Pete

I'm looking at gauge 1. not ho/oo . with the right loco 10 or so would look good

running around a garden railway. repaint and new decals would not be a problem   

Later Ron

Hi Ron,

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Ron/Pete,

Just for the record, but not quite perhaps to your point Ron.  I have managed to find black WD wagons from Mainline and I supplemented these with other 20 ton wagons which I sprayed black and added white WD decals from CCT to make a reasonable length rake. I have purchased an odd Mainline  blue ICI 20t Ammonia tanker and again supplemented with other re-sprayed wagons with white decals from CCT.  I have not found a proprietary white 20t ammonia tanker nor were there CCT transfers, so I made my own by re-spraying other 20t wagons white and adding black decals which I made myself.  Dapol did make an unsprayed 20t tanker which I used as the base for many of my tank wagons.  In the 1950s there are photographs of black WD tankers and white ICI tankers in Wharfedale carrying ammonia between Heysham and Haverton Hill.  From my memory, the blue ICI tankers came along in the late 1960s/early 1970s, when the company did a major rebranding.  I have also come across a photograph of a white MOS tanker crossing Brook Street bridge pulled by WD 2-8-0 loco.  I am not sure what this was carrying and this is one of my current projects to track down and make.

Just completing my rake of black WD tankers.  Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

Cheers Tom - keep the photos coming too!

I have made some turntable progress!  The instructions are rather vague in places, and specific in others. This is theoretically because of the wide variety of configurations depending on the prototype location - however some of the specific bits in the instructions are wrong for mine, and some of the vague bits make it difficult to understand what it intended.  However, with the instructions and the prototype photos to hand (both those of Ilkley, and a few of the Garsdale one now at Keighley) I have pieced together what the intentions are, and what my deviations needed to be.

The instructions suggest the locking bar mechanisms should be on the outside of the deck, while Ilkleys went through it, so I needed to put in a slot. The standard build is also aimed at having 6 handrail uprights, while Ilkley had 7.  I also had to create a guide for the locking mechanism which will sit on top of the deck.  I have so far left the locking bar handles so they are free to move. I don't think it will be feasible to mechanise these, but I'll keep the concept in mind...

The plan is to complete the planking on the deck today, so it can fully cure in time for some more work tomorrow if time allows.

post-130-0-92083000-1481381817_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-86510200-1481381830_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-27935800-1481381839_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-69217700-1481381861_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-11958500-1481381879_thumb.jpg

I havent yet made any progress with how to drive the turntable, though my aim is to get it rolling nicely before Christmas, and I should be able to find time to play with the stepper motor when I'm not at home for a few days over the festivities.  Anything to avoid the final of baking on ice or whatever is on this year...

• Like 6

I have now finished the main deck planking, and one end of the fill in next to the locking lever. The wheel carriers have been reassembled in position, and placed in the well. This shows that (with code 55 flat bottom rail on the turntable) the height difference is 1.3mm, with the turntable lower - which is a nice little shimming job, in the right direction.

The well is currently the London Road former, which is vac formed. This is a good shape, and allows the (in my case) stone cladding to be added, but it is flimsy. The options are either to build a support structure to support this, or go for a full wooden replacement. There are members in the BS4 group who know more about wood turning than I do, so these will be discussed in more depth on Tuesday.

post-130-0-45479700-1481472321_thumb.jpg

So other than rails, handrails, and other deck details (built but not yet fitted) that is the turntable itself complete - but I won't be adding those bits until I've finalised my well.

Next job today is making a start on an ash pit - pretty much as Robin did the ones for Barrow Road.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/116/entry-5141-bristol-barrow-road-ash-disposal-pits-update/

I just need to work out the difference in width between the top of the channel and the bottom, and can then crack on. Unfortunately the drawings in the LMS Journal preview edition are inspection pits not ash pits - but I'm sure I've seen a drawing somewhere so will go to hunt it down!

• Like 2

Well unfortunately I'm not at home over Christmas this year - I have plenty to crack on with!

I have a way forward for the pits, and last night I received my etched window frames - I drew them up, as posted earlier in the topic, and passed them to Justin (of Rumney Models) who is a fellow member of the Bristol Scalefour society group, who had some test etches he also needed manufacturing so it made sense to split the tooling costs.

post-130-0-47501600-1481744067_thumb.jpg

The concept is for a window to have an inner and an outer, and the U shaped bit sits between them at the bottom. Another U shaped bit but with the half etched lines cut will sit at the top (ie just the top corners) so that glazing can slide in from the top.  If this isnt satisfactory then a full U could be used at the top too, but then it would all have to be glued rather than soldered.

The bars across the middle are to support the opening window section which is easiest to add in the closed position.  Once fixed in place the support bars will be removed.  I have an idea of how to make them open, and have etched a couple of spares.

I aim to assemble one tonight or tomorrow so watch this space!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was down in Ilkley a couple of days ago and could not resist taking a photo of the current station from the 'new' footbridge, just to focus my efforts for 2017.  sadly the weather was not great!

The major change to the area in 2016 was the demolition of the old Ilkley Brewery building and the area has been cleared for the building accommodation for old folks?

At home, I have been working on pulling together an operating timetable for my chosen date of summer 1955 and have a pretty good idea now of the basic outline of the trains that ran and how operations worked but am still refining.  If this is of interest, I am willing to share the spreadsheet.  I am also starting to build a rake of Engineering wagons which were regular but infrequent visitors to the line.

All the best to you all for 2017 and to Pete looking forward to seeing the completed windows.

Tom

post-27867-0-86407900-1483269602.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tom, and all,

Happy New Year to you all too - sorry for the delay, it has been a pretty busy start to the year (not helped by playing full size (well, 2' gauge) trains over the Christmas/New Year period!

I did assemble, and blacken, a set of window frames before Christmas though - which looks good but has twisted a bit as I cut the support frame out. I like the two skin arrangement in terms of looking right from both the inside and outside of the shed, but it does mean that looking at it from the wrong angle you can see through what should be the full thickness frame of each pane:

post-130-0-93310300-1483811488_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-51471400-1483811497_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-15678800-1483811504_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

I think that the windows look fine, looking forward to seeing the completed shed.

I have had a quiet Christmas but have made some progress since.  I have been working on a short Engineers train, which I understand visited the station on a regular but infrequent basis.  The photo attached shows the running trial of the two of the four wagons I am working on.  3 x Sole wagons and a sleeper wagon both of LMS origin. The trial went well so now need to finish them.

post-27867-0-84225400-1484894616.jpg

Just need to find a shark plough van to complete the rake.

Tom

Edited by LMS29

• 3 weeks later...

Well, while I have been getting some modelling done it has generally been centred around an Ivatt class 2 tank - until this weekend!

I have started the ash pit support castings.  These consisted of 5ft long castings butted end on end, as per Barrow Road (and thanks to Robin for the sketch!).  It appears that Holbeck had longer castings (far more long sections between the short pairs at the joints) but the photos of Ilkley confirm that they were as per the barrow Road design.

post-130-0-86195500-1486297478_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-90900100-1486297474_thumb.jpg

One down, one to go...

• Like 2

Well, while I have been getting some modelling done it has generally been centred around an Ivatt class 2 tank - until this weekend!

I have started the ash pit support castings.  These consisted of 5ft long castings butted end on end, as per Barrow Road (and thanks to Robin for the sketch!).  It appears that Holbeck had longer castings (far more long sections between the short pairs at the joints) but the photos of Ilkley confirm that they were as per the barrow Road design.

attachicon.gif20170205_104653.jpg

attachicon.gif20170205_104634.jpg

One down, one to go...

Hi Pete, The support castings are looking good keep up the good work.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew. Being winter here I should be making more progress, but other things keep getting in the way!  However, I now have the ash pit in situe.  It needs steps and a drain cover, but is otherwise all there.  I have the drainage plan so have double checked my drain cover will be on the correct side.  I'm not sure which type was in use here, but will go for a metal plate with holes as per the Midland Record ash pit drawing.  The packing height required was an easy to find sleeper:

post-130-0-00033100-1488124542_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-75634800-1488124562_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-74602600-1488124573_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-84877700-1488124584_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-03908600-1488124595_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-34554200-1488124604_thumb.jpg

Next up will be continuing that road into the shed, which was flat bottom rail.  Conveniently the code 55 FB to code 75 bullhead in a chair is a nice round amount:

post-130-0-57546700-1488124549_thumb.jpg

I expect it is just the lighting, but the two shed roads don't look the same to me.  The right hand road in the photo below is laid on bricks/blocks on their side, while the left hand road looks smoother.

http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/oldsite/historic/fws084.jpg

I will also need to work out how to make the frame solid. On the above pit, the main structure is all brass and nicely solid - but has the chairs to isolate the rails.  I am thinking of making a similar brass sub frame and cladding it in plasticard, with openings in the frame for power feeds to pass through.

• Like 3

The frame of the next pit is underway, but not yet to a state which would warrant a photo call.

This weekend I will be at the Leamington & Warwick exhibition, helping Robin (a fellow member of the Scalefour soc Bristol area group) operate Rolvenden.  If you're there, please say hello!

• 4 weeks later...

Pete,

Pete, glad to see that you are making progress. Like Andrew, I have been on holiday but that did not stop me doing some planning!  Currently I am working with my timetable for summer 1955 and trying to ensure that I have enough stock and locos to deliver a full days running.  It has proved quite challenging and has thrown up a lot of work modifying stock and couplings to ensure that the whole flows.  Not many photographs to show but will produce a couple shortly.

Tom

• Like 1

Sounds good Tom, please do share the photos when you have them.

A busy weekend balancing Bristols beer festival, making use of the good weather, and disappointing football results (no, I'm not Lithuanian, I'm referring to the big game today in League 1), has managed to include some progress.

The realigned pointwork has been laid, and all wired up.  Before tackling more pits, I decided to build the Lanarkshire Midland bufferstops.  These were procured at Scalefour North last year, so I thought I should do something with them before this years show next weekend!  Lovely kits, well designed and detailed and really do fall together.  There will be a few of these needed in the future with Embsay too, though I will also need 1 heavy duty variant.

post-130-0-89024500-1490552140_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-94855100-1490552143_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-91199100-1490552147_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

When you come to but he buffing plate onto the buffer stop, electrically isolate it from the uprights.  This will save on short-circuits when a vehical runs onto the rails that are part of the kit.

Yes Mark, it's all written up in the bufferstop instructions..... :beee:

Dave.

Yes, as Dave says it is in the instructions, but thanks nonetheless Mark. The only deviation I made was to use Rizla paper rather than tissue as it was closer to hand (& possibly thinner?).

I had fitted those on Sunday, & cleaned them up last night, though have as yet neglected to photograph them.

Pete,

Much earlier in this blog, someone pointed out that the small hut to the east of the foot bridge was infact a fogman's hut position close to the so called junction at Ilkley.  I came across a model of one recently and could not resist adding to the layout.

Tom

post-27867-0-41640300-1491145073_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Visible progress is slow at the moment, the latest build was a Cambrian kit of a Shark Plough Van which I need to complete a small Engineers train for the layout. I am looking for a suitable figure to ride in the van and will need to weather to complete.  Tom

post-27867-0-66152700-1492320871_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Tom - I have a Cambrian one though I think I will convert that into an Oyster (as per Jim Smith-Wright) and have a Hornby one which came in Loadhaul black which will stay as a Shark. That has been dismantled and paint stripped and is sat in a box...

I have been procrastinating over the pits inside the shed for a while.  They had brick tops, and flap bottom rail clipped directly to it.  I was looking at plastic option to scribe the bricks on, but it all seemed a bit too flimsy so have gone with a brass rectangular channel, rail soldered directly.  The edge with have a strip of plasticard which I can then scribe for that top brick course, and use that as a packer for the horizontal courses below.

Time will tell if metal expansion differences between the brass section and NS rail cause issues...

post-130-0-72737200-1493276943_thumb.jpg

I have also built 1 Masokits tiebar, and replaced the functional tiebar as per Flymo on the Scalefour forum.  I am happy with this, just needs a second tie bar adding.

My original method worked, but but this looks a far better solution to ensure the tiebar does move in the desired direction!

post-130-0-06392900-1493276945_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-43323100-1493276942_thumb.jpg

Looking good Tom - I have a Cambrian one though I think I will convert that into an Oyster (as per Jim Smith-Wright) and have a Hornby one which came in Loadhaul black which will stay as a Shark. That has been dismantled and paint stripped and is sat in a box...

I have been procrastinating over the pits inside the shed for a while.  They had brick tops, and flap bottom rail clipped directly to it.  I was looking at plastic option to scribe the bricks on, but it all seemed a bit too flimsy so have gone with a brass rectangular channel, rail soldered directly.  The edge with have a strip of plasticard which I can then scribe for that top brick course, and use that as a packer for the horizontal courses below.

Time will tell if metal expansion differences between the brass section and NS rail cause issues...

post-130-0-72737200-1493276943_thumb.jpg

I have also built 1 Masokits tiebar, and replaced the functional tiebar as per Flymo on the Scalefour forum.  I am happy with this, just needs a second tie bar adding.

My original method worked, but but this looks a far better solution to ensure the tiebar does move in the desired direction!

post-130-0-06392900-1493276945_thumb.jpg

post-130-0-43323100-1493276942_thumb.jpg

• Like 2