Blue peak syp

Oh she's gorgeous, and I'll be linking that uber-fine spot to my Waverley thread somewhere, because she is a confirmed Waverley Route performer, and as such fair game for the retro treatment from a 45053.

Have a cyberpint on me for that find, absolutely incredible cool.gif

It's about time Bachmann did their Peak in this livery - there were around 20 45s in BSYP.

Here's one Brian Kirby repainted for me:

P1040327s.jpg

The old thread linked above also mentioned the Blue Trains with experimental warning panels. I recently bought an original colour slide of one - unfortunately only a half-frame shot, so not brilliant:

AM3 with chevrons

• 2 weeks later...

You are not going to like me for this one Robert but I dont think 119 was early blue.....

There is a shot of it in Kev derrick's heritage traction in colour-the peaks but if you look closely it looks like 109 which was early blue.

119 was reported in green in Derby Works on July 19 1969 as one of the last few to remain in that colour.

It was also listed as lined green in jan 1968 Railway Observer as of September 1967. I dont have iron proof but strong cicumstantial evidence says it wasnt.

It's about time Bachmann did their Peak in this livery - there were around 20 45s in BSYP.

Here's one Brian Kirby repainted for me:

P1040327s.jpg

The old thread linked above also mentioned the Blue Trains with experimental warning panels. I recently bought an original colour slide of one - unfortunately only a half-frame shot, so not brilliant:

AM3 with chevrons

You are not going to like me for this one Robert but I dont think 119 was early blue.....

There is a shot of it in Kev derrick's heritage traction in colour-the peaks but if you look closely it looks like 109 which was early blue.

119 was reported in green in Derby Works on July 19 1969 as one of the last few to remain in that colour.

It was also listed as lined green in jan 1968 Railway Observer as of September 1967. I dont have iron proof but strong cicumstantial evidence says it wasnt.

Yes, it should have been D109 but I went with the caption, which stated (wrongly) D119. Looking at the photo again under a magnifying glass I can see it is D109. However, it's not going to change now.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple of locos had no D prefix before steam ended, we had at least one green type 3 at Dairycoates that had no D before the end of steam.

Al Taylor.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chard

1M51 would not be a Manchester to London train. Is the caption correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm...

I need to do loads more research on that photo, Clive.  If the date's correct, the service could have come via the Peak main line.  The lack of the D-prefix on a 45 makes me suspect the date, and the line closed before steam was extinct, so I'm inclined to think the train is a Newcastle - Birmingham or the like, date unknown but possibly April '69.

This may be either a red herring, or a long shot at evidence, but I thought there were station nameplates fixed to the end of those concrete platforms awnings in the late 1960s?

There certainly was one at the end of platform 2/3 in Feb 1969, which had been removed by early 1971, but I cannot remember about platform 4/5.

Example of what I mean here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/23256063@N02/2686597024/in/photolist-56pvGm-aiqEcW-dEGK5m-dfjggq-eKE3dk-ac8FAm-dKpPxp-bx5UWt-bx5Qxn-fxYaDS-9uCn3o-9uCJEf-cAxj5Y-cAxi5w-7fQsmp-c5UM2N-cAxe2Y-cAxeY9-cAxewY-cAxjAA-cAxfnd-9uCKmY-aUHM6a-aiYb7G-an8z24-9uCGKA-9uzLKK-9uqA9h-9uCjhw-9uzxuP-9uCumd-9uCEEU-9uqD77-9uzMpr-9uCizj-9uzF7T-9uzv56-9uCNCj-9uzwLT-daHRm-dkHjJw-e34gMP-mJ1xV-9eEFme-9uCHzJ-9uqCG1-9unDat-9uzk9k-9unDKz-9uqG5w-9unEhc

This may be either a red herring, or a long shot at evidence, but I thought there were station nameplates fixed to the end of those concrete platforms awnings in the late 1960s?

There certainly was one at the end of platform 2/3 in Feb 1969, which had been removed by early 1971, but I cannot remember about platform 4/5.

Example of what I mean here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/23256063@N02/2686597024/in/photolist-56pvGm-aiqEcW-dEGK5m-dfjggq-eKE3dk-ac8FAm-dKpPxp-bx5UWt-bx5Qxn-fxYaDS-9uCn3o-9uCJEf-cAxj5Y-cAxi5w-7fQsmp-c5UM2N-cAxe2Y-cAxeY9-cAxewY-cAxjAA-cAxfnd-9uCKmY-aUHM6a-aiYb7G-an8z24-9uCGKA-9uzLKK-9uqA9h-9uCjhw-9uzxuP-9uCumd-9uCEEU-9uqD77-9uzMpr-9uCizj-9uzF7T-9uzv56-9uCNCj-9uzwLT-daHRm-dkHjJw-e34gMP-mJ1xV-9eEFme-9uCHzJ-9uqCG1-9unDat-9uzk9k-9unDKz-9uqG5w-9unEhc

Red Herring I think, not on Platform 4/5.

Tony

According to the May 1969 Railway Observer, 26 was noted in the Derby works paintshop on 29th March. If the date of the photo is meant to be 23rd April 1969, this would tie in with the reasonably fresh livery, lack of D pre-fix and the fitting of air brakes. 1M51 would then be the 08:10 Manchester Piccadilly to St Pancras.

Mark

When St Pancras-Manchester trains travelled via Matlock they remained within the London Midland Region and the headcodes were H for destination Manchester and C for destination London St Pancras. Therefore in the 1967/8 Working Time Table the 08:35 Manchester Central to St Pancras was 1C37. After the re-routing they crossed in and out of the Eastern Region during the journey and became inter-regional trains with a London Midland Region destination and were therefore M in both directions, hence the 1M51 head code for the equivalent train from Manchester Piccadilly.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark and all

I did not realise that if a train started in one region, left it then re-entered the starting region,  it would carry the headcode with the letter of the final region not that of the divison within that region.  And to think it never left Midland Railway lines. All part of the rest of British Railways hating Derby and the Midland railway :no:

Archived