K2yhaven

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Gimme chance! ;)

They'll come much later and will be a separate fix on item printed onto 2mm Foamex.

Just don't leave them behind.....:rolleyes:

[Captain in Slow Dullard mode]

Will these new boards be joined to the existing Keyhaven board, Andy, or is the whole layout getting a complete re-build?

[/Captain in Slow Dullard mode]

biggrin.gif

K1yhaven will be rebuilt and will form the board at 90 degrees at the right hand side of the layout, slightly shorter and wider than the old quay.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly can, the boards will take up less than half of the load space and all of the legs combined take up less space than K1yhaven's two trestles.

The trestles are the downside of Cogirep and Paynestown, especially the latter. I can get the layout in the car, or the trestles - not both.

If only those Aldi/Wickes trestles were as compact as the boxes they come in...

• RMweb Gold

If only those Aldi/Wickes trestles were as compact as the boxes they come in...

They are - if you dismantle them :P

I'm giving serious thought to replacing mine with something smaller, lighter and wooden.

• 2 weeks later...

Remembers those Solvite ads decades ago where they papered a bloke to a plane and flew around and the one where they pasted him to a board and swung him from a helicopter? I never believed them for one minute but I now reckon they used this stuff:

tape.jpg

It's 1mm thick, 38mm wide, double sided and self-adhesive on a thin core of foam. I thought it would be worth a go for laying the track on the train turntable onto expecting something that would allow secure fixing without the use of pins ( being unsatisfied with latex-based adhesive last weekend) and the ability to lift and adjust if necessary. WRONG.

This stuff must rate high amongst 'sticky things that don't do what you want them to' with it's propensity to adhere to any organic substance within a 3 yard radius rather than where you want it to go. Face, body hair, clothing etc. Once it's in contact with wood or track that's it, fixed. Forever.

TT.jpg

Eventually I did get part of the TT and the approaches sorted; when I've got a day when I want something more agonising than a needle in the eyeball I'll get the other end done. I'll now be trying to work out how to slide some copper-clads under and solder for additional rigidity at the join as the only weakness is in the chairs - certainly not in the track being fixed to the board!

... rather than where you want it to go. Face, body hair, clothing etc.

Having seen many pix of Andy and met him on a few occasions, unless he's changed his appearance radically recently and joined us in the ranks of the beardies, I'm just wondering which body hair he's referring to :)

A similar product (albeit in much smaller rolls) is also used to stick receivers and esc's into higher end r/c cars (such as Tamiya et al), and I can vouch for Andy's claim of it sticking to anything and everything. It must be one the stickiest substances known to mankind....!

Could be good for mounting Tortoise point motors maybe? Provided you got them aligned first time...

The turntable looks very good - how long is the deck? I like the idea of one for my fiddle yard, but I suspect that 4-5' is way over the practical length and I'll have to use a traverser.

Will

The turntable looks very good - how long is the deck?

It's a metre long will; I could see that 4' would be quite achievable using the same construction.

Would ballast stick to it or would the surface area of the granules be too small?

It does; I did a small test last night as the approach roads will be ballasted for a bit of continuity off world. It would still need building up further for normal use though Gordon.

Crikey - no! If you want to avoid screws use Velcro! Infinitely adjustable until you are satisfied with the alignment.

Fair point - I do use Velcro at the moment but it's a mite wobbly and I ended up having to secure the things laterally with chocks. I suppose the tape would be going too far the other way.

It's a metre long will; I could see that 4' would be quite achievable using the same construction.

Thanks, that's good to know - four foot might be *just* about enough for me. I'll re-read your earlier entry to see how it went together.

Will

• RMweb Gold

Fair point - I do use Velcro at the moment but it's a mite wobbly and I ended up having to secure the things laterally with chocks. I suppose the tape would be going too far the other way.

I've also heard of folk using hotglue. That has a small window of adjustability, I suppose, but all these things which seem to avoid the tedium of the screws obviously appeal in awkward locations - just where their limited fine-tuning is least affordable!

• RMweb Gold

It does; I did a small test last night as the approach roads will be ballasted for a bit of continuity off world. It would still need building up further for normal use though Gordon.

I used a test piece of supermarket double-sided tape with Peco track some time ago and found the tape worked fine with the track, but the Chinchilla Dust (as recommended on RMWeb - minimum quantities apply on overseas orders, so I now have 15kg!) only stuck in a very thin layer, so there isn't any real saving in time/effort/Anglo-Saxon expletives. Other, larger granules would do a bit better, I'm sure.

Archived