RMWeb 2010 Challenge

Kenton

2010 Layout Challenge  

222 members have voted

1. 1. If we agreed a layout challenge for 2010 would you take part?

• Probably/Possibly
    • Probably not
    • It would depend on the final criteria
    • Definitely not

• RMweb Gold

According to the conversion website I use, it comes out at 1.297 m??

Thanks. I also checked it on two conversion sites - but they came up with different responses blink.gif . Still, 1.297 m?? is what I get if I do the math myself, so that seems right.

Arghh, why did Andy have to put in that bit about part completed layouts being allowable! I now have a major quandary, do I enter Jerusalem Works, which despite my glacial progress stands a reasonable chance of being finished for the deadline, or this:

post-6908-12584140358397_thumb.png

I've just finished an excellent book on the Dalmellington Ironworks in Ayre, and was inspired whilst doodling, by the idea of a wagon incline, (working, somehow, of course!), on a windswept moor with a little yard at the top and bottom. It would certainly be a more appropriate use for the High Level RSH I have in the kit pile, rather than as the works shunter at JW.

What to do? :D

A plan I had been working on from months back but never materialised beyond pencil marks on paper seems to fit this competition quite nicely.

In the interests of the environment I'll be recycling some old baseboards for this project but I need to make sure they stay within the 2010 sq inches size which I can't measure up until I get home.

Whether it'll be finished or not remains to be seen, of course ...

• RMweb Gold

Strangely the domestic authorities haven't said no to my proposal for a small layout!

Neither has mine - but then she never looks at RMWeb. And I can only hope that when laddo pops home from uni this weekend he will keep his mouth shut and that if daughter gets fed up with writing her thesis and moves up from RMWeb3 she too will keep schtumm ;)

Hi Kenton,

I am a bit puzzeled at the moment, 2010sq ft how big is that??smile.gif would 4ft by 1ft (including fiddle yard) be acceptable for the challenge?? I would like Jessop Yard to be in the challenge??

2010 square feet would be a barn... you mean 2010 square inches :)

One square foot is 144 square inches so 6ft x 2ft is 1728 sq in, for example.

• RMweb Gold

Well,

I've stuck my neck out and drawn up the rules that may be found here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/3343-2010-challenge-rules/

There's a new forum area too for the Challenge itself.

Stuck your neck out? Hardly! This is an excellent set of rules on a site that you run for our benefit, so how can you be wrong? I will certainly be attempting something compliant. About 30 years ago, BR showed me a film called the GOYA Syndrome - nothing to do with Spanish art, GOYA is an acronym for Get Off Your A**e! Thanks for the opportunity.

I don't think I fully appreciate just how big this is for N gauge. If I've worked it out correctly, it's just a fraction shy of a 14 foot x 1 foot baseboard. That's a decent size OO terminus-to-fiddleyard setup, so if anything the challenge in N is to not get carried away and keep it to a reasonably sized layout that is achievable within the time limit.

• RMweb Gold

Got a couple of thoughts on the go at the moment, firstly a bits of station type project modelling the station throat up to the start of the platforms, the first thought being to model the first couple of boards of my Bodmin plan (meaning that in the future it could be further expanded with the platform board if space becomes available.) Have a couple of other concepts in mind along similar lines, its made a little more difficult by the lack of terminus stations in the south west, (much as I'd love to model Penzance) I suspect thats a little over 2010 just to do the throat :P I think the next step is going to be looking online for some track plans showing the steam age layout of a couple of branch terminuses (whats the plural?) The idea being to go down a similar planning route to that I used with Bodmin and use a similar set of assumptions to increase the size and complexity of the station throat, number of platforms etc.

The other idea was a diesel depot type layout, but trying to do things properly. Was looking at doing something based upon Wessex Trains depot at Exeter, Stock wise it would probably require buying more DMUs though which would be a bit of a problem (particularly as I have already slimmed down my DMU fleet.) That said, with everything in the works/on order finished that would give me a pair of 153s (could easily buy 2 of the Devon and Cornwall one to bring that up to 3), 2 150s, and 3 158s. Plenty of photos of other locos (particularly the Wessex 31 and Freightliner 66s) stabled there as well.

Going to have a play on templot with some photos scanned in over the next couple of weeks and see what I come up with......

2010 square feet would be a barn... you mean 2010 square inches smile.gif

One square foot is 144 square inches so 6ft x 2ft is 1728 sq in, for example.

oooh its inches... upsbiggrin.gif so 4ft by 1ft would be completley fine or does the layout have to be that actual size?? if not then look out for Jessop Yard!!laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers

George

oooh its inches... upsbiggrin.gif so 4ft by 1ft would be completley fine or does the layout have to be that actual size?? if not then look out for Jessop Yard!!laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers

George

Having seen your current thread on Jessop Yard - it fits the challenge (the size rule is the maximum including FY for your scale.

Entries have to be posted in the 2010 forum so if you do wish to enter probably the best way is to send the Mods/Andy a PM and ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind moving your thread to that Forum - jut give them the url to save them the trouble of having to find it.

Thanks. I also checked it on two conversion sites - but they came up with different responses blink.gif . Still, 1.297 m?? is what I get if I do the math myself, so that seems right.
Hmmm, looks an interesting challenge - assuming Andy Y will accept metric icon_biggrin.gif . I make 2010 square inches to be 1,296 square metres.

It looks like we are going to need information on acceptable tolerances and/or 'official' conversion factors in the rules :rolleyes: It's not just our european neighbours who may have problems with imperial units. Whilst I'm happy with them, even if I've only rarely used them in the last forty years, some of the questions here and elsewhere remind me that many younger people have perhaps never used them in anger and may only be familiar with them in a historical context.

The reason I mentioned acceptable tolerances was that I did some quick calculations on the imperial/metric conversion and it would appear that Il Dottore is quite safe with 1.296m2 (2008.8in2) but Mikkel is on dodgy ground with 1.297m2 (2010.35in2). All this was based on a conversion factor of 1m = 3.280839895ft, which I believe to be reasonable close (though others may have something better?).

This all started when I noticed the figure of 3.28 ft to one meter printed on an aluminium ruler on my workbench. Reasoning that, as this did not look very precise, the 'true' value probably lies somewhere between 3.2750 and 3.2849 (the last figure infinitely recurring in both cases). Using these, I arrived at figures between 1.2935m2 and 1.3014m2, figures which differ by over twelve square inches (more than 400ft2 in 4mm scale!) So, beware of conversion factors :unsure:

Well, I had to do something when the RMweb database went down for a while last night and I had finished soldering grab handles on my IKB coach kit...:rolleyes:

Nick

ps. will P4, S7, etc. modellers be required to work to finer tolerances on the 2010 figure than others?

• RMweb Gold

The reason I mentioned acceptable tolerances was that I did some quick calculations on the imperial/metric conversion and it would appear that Il Dottore is quite safe with 1.296m2 (2008.8in2) but Mikkel is on dodgy ground with 1.297m2 (2010.35in2).

Aw, you foiled my devious plan of sneaking in an extra 0.35 in2 laugh.gif.

Seriously though, if I enter I'll go with the 1.296 m2 just to be on the safe side. I'll probably end up lower than that anyway, just for the fun of it smile.gif

Archived