Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Dave asked what price I thought it should be. Sorry for long delay in posting reply been doing other things.

I don't know what I think it should be (see below) but what I fear is that manufacturers will see the willingness of many to throw large amounts of cash (or credit) at their products and price all their future products accordingly. If I made things I would prefer to produce smaller runs of more profitable items than larger runs with lower margins. Stands to reason. And by limiting supply I can increase the price to the point that I satisfy the demand. Thus we do not have a demand led hobby but a supply driven one. Not ideal for the customer.

How much does the NRM get from each model I wonder?

If the Bachmann 9F is generally available for say ??120 (a 2-10-0) then a 4-4-0 should be about ??90 max. including normal retailer mark up. Presumably NRM are not only getting the usual mark up but also a premium as well. I think its called cashing in.

Perhaps my annual attack of Scroogeitis has started. Bah Humbug!

RichardS.

• RMweb Gold

Just had the call back from the NRM. Apparently their system doesn't process Maestro cards very well, but other cards should be ok.

I can either use another card, or send a cheque & letter to the NRM...

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Great news from Bachmann and NRM. As my budget is already committed to buying both Heljan West Coast Rly's "Glen" 33s I'll have to pass on this release. In any case I only wanted a bog-standard model to re-name and re-number as City of Birmingham, there were ten in the class. By the way how much from each model sold will be donated to the NRM?

Just what I needed, a ??150 extra hole in my budget before Christmas :unsure: Still as ever thanks to this forum I've got in early enough to avoid the glory hunters later and the Severn Valley Railway collection increases by one :rolleyes: You have to be impressed with the secrecy that Bachmann and the NRM have kept for this; to have a fully finished model shipped from China and ready for dispatch without a whisper anywhere is an impressive achievement in this day and age. The model looks superb, lets hope this isn't the last 4-4-0 they will be tackling. I was told it would be dispatched on the 16th Decemebr so a pre-Christmas arrival is realistic.

• RMweb Premium

I've no objection to NRM making money, if they were upfront and state "for every loco sold, ??XX will be donated to the NRM in support of its work". I think ??20 per loco would be reasonable, ??30 even better. It might attract even more interest if people knew how much they were suporting the NRM.

i.e cost lets have some thought about this area.

Basic material prices i.e steel, copper etc have increased in value year on year increase the cost at factory

China Labour costs is increasing

Tooling cost increased

Shipping increased due to increase in fuel plus some fleets are stored up due to the current finical situation which means less boats moving on the seas so space can be at a premium

Increase business and corporate lending cost.

So people want high quality models at last years prices good luck to Hornby and Bachmann etc as this is the path of destruction, stock on sheleves dont make anyone money nor can you get cash out of it quick. The problem in this finical climate is cashflow have to little and the nails are being hammered in your coffin.

So ??150 for a limited run model of say 5000 units with the above increased cost areas plus use of laser scanner equipment, engineering a new chassis since there is not one of the shelf, same goes for certain paint and liveries. Higher than normal finical risk than say a T9 so for those of us who pay the price they can get a model they may not be able to build from kit or scratch. The manufacturer stays in business can use some of the profit on the normal range. The NRM get a cut for upkeep and maintenance of the collection a win, win situation and it is interesting that more shops and magazines are commissioning higher finical risk models than the manufacturers themselves.

I suppose its only fair that as UK models creep closer to their foreign counterparts in quality so they should in price as well? Some people think nothing of paying ??150-200 for a loco by Roco or Fleischmann. Hell, the wee Roco Engerths in HOe can easily fetch over ??200 and thats narrow gauge! Besides, they will charge whatever the market will stand (??115 for a class 14 anyone?)

I seriously doubt they would only do one small batch if they are such "Hot Cakes" it makes commercial sense to produce as many as people will want to buy. Didn't they flog Deltic to death with various editions? Including the twin packs they did.

I for one am bloody impressed by their keeping a lid on it all though I am not at all surprised by the choice of loco. Also, The NRM has dealt with Bachmann before so it is only natural to do so again.

Would love to see one in the flesh before I part with the pennies. It's going to be an expensive couple of months (A1,A2, Truro...)

If the Bachmann 9F is generally available for say ??120 (a 2-10-0) then a 4-4-0 should be about ??90 max. including normal retailer mark up. Presumably NRM are not only getting the usual mark up but also a premium as well. I think its called cashing in.

The NRM have tooling costs to recover as well over a smaller run of models than the 9F. For the sake of argument (rather than being proper figures) say the tooling cost ??100,000 (not unreasonable). Divide that by the number in the Platinum edition which is 500 then you get to a figure of ??200 a model BEFORE you have manufacturing costs. If you're intending to make 5000 models, you're tooling costs work out at ??20 a model which is the more likely neck of the woods we're in, but those tooling costs are upfront, as are the stocking costs of the model etc. Until they have shifted enough stock to cover their costs, the NRM are certainly not cashing in.

Here we go, new models are announced and we get the usual comments about costs.rolleyes.gif

You get what you pay for.

This is a one off model only available for a short time, it won't be in catalogues for years to come like other models.

No doubt if it had been ??60 people would then be commenting on the lack of detail or quality etc.

Everyones got a choice, if you don't think its worth ??195 or ??145 then don't buy it.

Personally I think it is worth the premium to get something like this.

So I have put my money where my mouth is and just ordered one of each.

Nice lady at NRM stated both the Platinum and Standard edition are due in the next 28 days.

You sir, are a very realistic person. A refreshing change and pragmatist. I can't really afford one right now, but would love to obtain a Platinum edition as an investment as well as nice model to enjoy on my layout.

At the end of the day if the price is too high it will just mean it takes longer to sell out...

Considering the deltics origonal release (which iirc was around the ??100 mark) thats about ??40 over the price of a normal diesel loco from Bachmann. This also had the advantage of reusing chassis components from the 37 and standard deltic. Considering that the new A2 is around ??120, and CoT doesnt reuse any other components, I dont think that 160 odd is that bad relatively speaking in being only ??46 more than new steam locos in the 09/10 range, despite the fact that it requires a completely new tooling for everything.

Will certainly be interesting to see if Bachmann do end up following it up with a normal range city (they'd be mad not to...) but I suspect that it would certainly be a couple of years before it happens so that the NRM can get a decent return on their investment.

It certainly would' nt surprise me to see a 2nd batch come out late next year in current condition (with OHLE flashes etc and a slightly darker chassis) which would be suitably different to this release not to **** off the collector types. That black/green version would be another candidate.

Personally I would be quite happy to see it sell a bit slower than the Deltic as I have decided I will not order until I know if wheels will fit, but I suspect that it will be sold out by Christmas!

I think you will find that the Branchline DP1 model was also brand new from the wheels upwards. Chassis is a different length to a class 37 and service delitic. the bogies were unique on the original and the model followed suit. DP1 hardly shared anything in common with the production fleet. The motor was probably about all that was the same on the model, i'll check when i get home!

I think you are crack on with other Citys being released at some point in the future, but as you rightly say, probably leave it for a few years. I know the NRM is always struggling for cash since they stopped charging for admission. It is a cause worth supporting, but i like the idea of waiting for the more modern version with the new OHLE flashes. good idea, i'll hang on.

• Like 1

Guess what I've got. Richard picked one up from the Toddington press launch today and I've borrowed it for the weekend.

Will try to post a couple of pics later this evening.

Full review in the next Model Rail - looks like another working weekend!

(Finished the N gauge Hayling Island at 11.30 last night and was hoping for a couple of days off to do some decorating!)

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Guess what I've got. Richard picked one up from the Toddington press launch today and I've borrowed it for the weekend.

Will try to post a couple of pics later this evening.

Full review in the next Model Rail - looks like another working weekend!

(Finished the N gauge Hayling Island at 11.30 last night and was hoping for a couple of days off to do some decorating!)

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris,

If you can, would you mind taking a picture of the cab detail.

Thanks.

Garry

I would expect a product launch where COT is currently, GWSR Toddington, in short order if all that has been said is correct.

You may be correct, or perhaps it was a coincidence that a load of people in Bachmann jackets were taking photos of a OO City of Truro on the running plate of a considerably bigger City of Truro at Toddington earlier today!

• RMweb Gold

CHRIS LEIGH

That's the first time I've ever seen a statement like that......!

If the Bachmann 9F is generally available for say ??120 (a 2-10-0) then a 4-4-0 should be about ??90 max. including normal retailer markup

I really dont get this logic based purely on size - we had it last with the Hattons cl.14. Would you expect a Lotus to cost less than a Transit van :icon_what:

I think you will find that the Branchline DP1 model was also brand new from the wheels upwards. Chassis is a different length to a class 37 and service delitic. the bogies were unique on the original and the model followed suit. DP1 hardly shared anything in common with the production fleet. The motor was probably about all that was the same on the model, i'll check when i get home!

I think you are crack on with other Citys being released at some point in the future, but as you rightly say, probably leave it for a few years. I know the NRM is always struggling for cash since they stopped charging for admission. It is a cause worth supporting, but i like the idea of waiting for the more modern version with the new OHLE flashes. good idea, i'll hang on.

why would there use a class 37 chassie as it a deltic which Bachmann make anyway