Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

The thing with the EFE Leyland national Mk2 is the front is too flat and the Mk2 (like the mk1) is heavily rivetted. I replaced the front on mine with one from Pirate models and the rivets were done using the Archers rivet decals. Makes a big difference to the look IMHO

nationa%202%20in%20progress%202.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

The only route I know of to a 4mm scale Mk3 transit is the well hard to find MBC kit. This is one I brought virtually finished from Bernard of this parish.

MBCtransit.jpg

Regards

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Modelzone are selling off what they claim to be 1:87 scale Radio Controlled fire engines. Either the prototypes are huge or they aint 1:87 scale. But what they are is the same width as 1:76 scale trucks. Question is, what to do with the chassis?

RCfireengine.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum and being of a certain age am wondering if there is any interest in the slightly older vehicle, say, from the fifties? There seems to be an almost total domination by 70s-90s stuff and lorries in particular. Is nobody doing work on earlier stuff and saloon cars and saloon derived vans?

I speak as one who has made brass masters for around 400 models made in white metal and resin over the years, mainly in 1/43rd scale, so, I know the topic, but not the more recent subjects apart from the Leyland Atlantean bus which I once did for Gearbox Models and they cast in white metal in ONE piece!

Interested and curious, is all.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Paglesham

While this thread is going to be heavily biased towards the 80's because thats what I model the road vehicles picture thread is far more varied (click here)

Welcome to the forum BTW

Jim

Aha, duly corrected. Thankyou Jim.

I clicked on your link and came straight up against an Austin Seven Van!!

I have heard of Ixo models (1/43rd I think?), but didn't know they did such a plebean subject as an Austin Seven.

Of course the Post Office treatment is horrible, but those wheels look very nice and are probably worth the price on its own. A7 vans have the spare wheel inside the back, vertically, btw, which means if you buy four and modify them, you get a spare set of wheels!

As the poster said, you could easily chop that model into a Chummy tourer, in which case the spare would go on the back. Also possible would be a Chummy saloon or a Top Hat saloon. All these would have been very common sights on our roads right up until the early fifties. The ten year test killed a lot off, but a lot were also turned into specials by impecunious young lads...see my blog for evidence of same. http://oddsoracle.blogspot.com

Please don't judge the SEF cast models too harshly. Making white metal models isn't cheap and is practiced by Englishmen who like to live to a reasonable standard, not sweatshop Chinese. Until the undeniably good Chinese stuff came along, white metal kits were the only choice and Dave Ellis at least gave us photo-etched wire wheels

for our vintage cars. The well known Gordon Gravett used Dave's SEF models to great effect on his superb Ditchling Green layout and was most generous when I told him at a Spalding Show that I'd done the masters many years ago!

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Back to my fleetlines - I have my test back from the etchers and this is how the parts look fitted to the Britbus Atlantean

brummy%20fleetlines%203.jpg

brummy%20fleetlines%204.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Jim

That etch has done wonders, but I am not sure it is 100% mate.

There is something about the destination box that doesn't quite sit right for me. I think it might need to me moved up a couple of mms, or deepened by a similar amount. The trouble is, the bottom of the box is recessed into the GRP moulding, which slopes back so that the top of the box stands out proud.

Have you tried measuring one down at Wythall or Aston Manor ?

I work with one of the 4738 Ailsa gang - the box of which is identical. I'll ask him for dimensions,

The other thing I'm not 100% about on yours is the windscreen aperture. As you know, the screens were very slightly inclined and also had a very slight downward slope from the middle glazing bar toward the outer edges a la Brush type 4. I presume you are considering ways of fitting the windscreens into the aperture, but I think you'll need a fillet of an mm or 2mm at the top of the aperture to bring the top of the windscreens down.

I notice you've drawn the sliding window for the cab, with the correct slope for the corner window pillar - which was a grp moulding narrowing towards the top.

Those MCW moulded bus fronts were a pig weren't they !!! full of subtle changes.

Great stuff so far and looking forward to you finishing this in your own totally inimitable style.

(And no I am not taking the p!ss Jim - your work is fantastic)

I know you have Clare Pendrous' piccies - been comparing this one ;

Allens Croft Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, 1985

Guest jim s-w

Hi Phil

Well spotted - I missed off a half etch line on the destination box where I was supposed to fold ot back to give the slope. I tried to score and fold it but it went wrong! Thus the bit of microstrip at the top.

I have been on several visits to Wythall to look at the fleetine (its about 10 mins from my house!) My plan it to cut the top of the windscreen pillar and push it back to match the prototype.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Picked up the Oxford Diecast VW camper at the weekend - this is how it looks out of the box and after a quick spray of matt varnish. One nice little feature is that its screwed together and not riveted.

Behind it is the Carama Camper (I assume the oxford one is the right size but I havent checked it yet.

Cheers

Jim

campers.jpg

Guest jim s-w

One thats been OMWB for a while is this

dodge.jpg

Base toys chassis and modified flat bet with a RTI dodge cab. I must say I was very impressed with the Service from RTI and will definately use more of their stuff in the future.

Cheers

Jim

Base toys chassis and modified flat bet with a RTI dodge cab. I must say I was very impressed with the Service from RTI and will definately use more of their stuff in the future.

Cheers

Jim

Who's RTI then Jim? I've had a search through Google and got nowhere. I'd like a Dodge G13 Mountain Range Fire Engine and I don't think anyone makes one in OO but that Dodge cab would certainly form the basis for one.

Guest jim s-w

Bay window van - 14' 7" long, 5' 11.5" wide, 6' 4.25" high on a 7' 10.5" wheelbase (1967 Daily Express Motor Show guide)

Thanks Bernard

That means

4mm scale (oxford)

length 58.3 (57.5)

width 23.8 (22.0)

height 24.4 (25.0)

wb 31.5 (31.5)

HTH

Jim

So, the VW scales out pretty close, but I think the slight narrowness may be the reason it doesn't quite convince from the front, though perhaps fitting a new, wider screen that goes over the front face of the pillars (which it should anyway) might help, but that would be one pain of a shape to make! I think there may well be a Commer PA camper parked at Aberyn, rather than a VW one; better still a Bedford Dormobile!

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim, long time no bothering you :D

The RTI Commando cab (or Dodge G100) is OK but the fascia in front of the windscreen is too heavily raked down - it's nearly flat on the prototype - and is too rounded at the corners where it joins the sides. I've got a silver-grille one in stock which is due some attention with the Milliput and fine wet'n'dry.

I'm not at all convinced by the Oxford VW Bay; I've picked one up and put it back twice now. The profile and tumblehomes are wrong, and the front panel shape is miles out; it's also not nearly 'dainty' enough - the whole thing looks like it's been over-inflated by a few psi. It appears to scale quite well though. In reality, the Bay is significantly bigger than the Splitty which seems to support the theory that the Cararama Splitty is closer to 1/72. The Bay also suffers from narrowed-track disorder, giving it an unfortunate Commer Spacevan appearance. Spacing the wheels out a little may improve the appearance considerably.

I've just managed to acquire a Corgi Cargo and MAN 16.170 so I'll be taking inspiration from your efforts when I get around to them!

Archived