Livery Photoshopping

To be honest the hard work is already done with a 60 - it's a nice looking loco. Add in the fact the red base is quite to go lighter or darker from and it's ok all told.

Anyway, I've now created a Desiro template, and here are the first two out of Photoshop.

So what if Virgin got a blanket WCML franchise, with both the slow and fast services?

gallery_6899_468_182895.jpg

Ok, so if electrification ever comes down this way, how about some Desiros for Bristol area commuting?

gallery_6899_468_13370.jpg

I've tried a new technique creating the template for these - how does the lighting on the bodies work? The method I've used means it should be more adjustable to make the reflections look right for light or dark colours.

Next up should hopefully be NSE and Regional Railways Desiros

cheers

jo

I seem to remember an Intercity 158 somewhere which I think was on the old site thread (it won't load from the link in the first post for me), anyway that inspired some modelling from me based on XC keeping it's 158s a little bit longer.

These units may appear on my new layout when I get to do it so if anyone knows of a place I can aquire some 'Northern' transfers it would be appreciated.

Anyway, first up is my verion of what the Intercity livery might look like....

Virgin158Intercity2.jpg

Virgin's first livery is next, in this case I don't have the lining and don't fancy trying to paint them either so you'll have to imagine a bit....

Virgin158original.jpg

This third one is the better one IMO, Virgin's Pendelino/Voyager livery.....

Virgin158Pendelino2.jpg

If any talented Photoshopper would like to have a go at a 395 in NSE livery, there's one to play with here (taken by me on Saturday) Please feel free to do as you like with this picture

I've never noticed this on a 395 before but it says "Britain's Fastest", Britain's fastest what? Not train that's for sure, Eurostar and APT are both faster and if you are talking speed records the Intercity 225 is as well since I don't think the 395 has ever tried a record run.

med_gallery_6731_93_484374.jpg

Looks really good actually, only thing is maybe it would look even better if the yellow didn't extend above the cab (because that narrow window above the rest sticking up into the yellow doesn't look right.)

So what if Virgin got a blanket WCML franchise, with both the slow and fast services?

gallery_6899_468_182895.jpg

Virgin158Pendelino2.jpg

Not really enough for the Virgin logo between the door and the red and white bit, especially on the 158 (although you haven't put logos on that anyway). Therefore I think the logo might look better on the silver area underneath the first window to the rear of the door, almost right behind that post on the Desiro pic.

Also, I hear talk of templates, what is your method of doing this? I don't use templates on mine, I normally select the area to be changed with the magnectic lasso and then use the replace colour or somtimes levels tool to change the colour. Talking of mine, is it alright just to post a link to the source of the original image or would I have to ask permission to use it (in which case I don't think you'll be seeing any of mine)? Would I need to do the same for the images I've pulled logos off to put on the unit I've photoshopped?

I've never noticed this on a 395 before but it says "Britain's Fastest", Britain's fastest what?

Athletes, it's the naming policy

Not really enough for the Virgin logo between the door and the red and white bit, especially on the 158 (although you haven't put logos on that anyway). Therefore I think the logo might look better on the silver area underneath the first window to the rear of the door, almost right behind that post on the Desiro pic.

The problem with moving the logo further back is that you have to start the dark grey dotted line in mid-air, instead of at a natural break (ie a door), though I think the 158 would need this anyway. Wherever it went, the logo couldn't really be any bigger on the Desiro

Also, I hear talk of templates, what is your method of doing this? I don't use templates on mine, I normally select the area to be changed with the magnectic lasso and then use the replace colour or somtimes levels tool to change the colour.

Basically, it's a greyscale version, with all the different colours equalised, to give a flat base to any colour application. With most of mine, this includes the grill detail etc, but for the Desiro I created a flat grey body area from scratch, then added all the shadows and reflections by hand. It takes absolutely ages to make the template, but once done, various liveries can be done in a flash. Colour can be applied either by playing with colour balance and hue and saturation of the grey template, or by overlaying a colour layer. Both have pros and cons, and will need additional work on top to help create convincing shadows and depth. To be honest I find the lasso and wand are more hassle than they're worth, I much prefer to use the Pen Tool that allows you to trace a course or route.

Talking of mine, is it alright just to post a link to the source of the original image or would I have to ask permission to use it (in which case I don't think you'll be seeing any of mine)? Would I need to do the same for the images I've pulled logos off to put on the unit I've photoshopped?

You'd need to get the permission of the copyright owner, though it does depend on the original copyright terms. The simple way round it is to use your own photos, though one of mine is on someone else's picture, though I ask for permission and he sent me the full resolution to work with. Each time that image is used, I credit him in the caption, and I know when Paul does his, he uses images that are available for re-use, and still credits the source

HTH

jo

Replacements for the class 310 EMUs in use with Regional Railways, ok so they'd probably have got Centro instead, which gives me another idea...

gallery_6899_468_137529.jpg

Early Network South East, based on the application to CEPs, VEPs and CIGs

gallery_6899_468_14190.jpg

Network South East similar to that applied to 321s and the Networkers

gallery_6899_468_197623.jpg

Time for a browse for inspiration and some pie me thinks

jo

• Like 1

Hairyhandedfool, here's the Intercity class 158 I posted on the old forum:

med_gallery_6731_93_230548.jpg

This image by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

Your Virgin red and silver class 158 looks very smart. It's a pity they always seemed to disown their 158s when they used them on cross country services.

Jo, your Desiros are rather nice too. I particularly like the Networker-style NSE version. I heard somewhere that Siemens tried to bid for the Networker contract, but gave up due to a lack of cooperation from BR, so perhaps if they had persevered something similar might actually have happened for real.

Paul

Nice work on the 395 Paul, it's inspired me to crack out the Aquafresh paint!

gallery_6899_468_172464.jpg

So, what if instead of splitting the freight sectors by flow, it was split by region, and in the south east it was taken under the wing of NSE. Or, on shadow privatisation, TLF-SE became part of the NSE empire (60011 was a mainline tug) in some kind of twisted management buyout when Network SouthEast was privatised. I dunno, any excuse, it doesn't look bad in toothpaste express colours

jo

Jo, I like it! Perhaps it could gain a new number and be part of a new ETH Fitted class, built to the Class 60 Design, to replace the class 60s - perhaps the early 67?

Ive got a few photoshopped pictures - a few ive done and a few im doing...

Ones ive done are :

Class 25 in Loadhaul

Class 52 In Loadhaul...

And im sure ive done a few more, but anoyingly cant remember whichhuh.gif

But i am currently working on a First Great Western 22000 or 3000 / C3k , maybe even a Chiltern Railways liveried unit aswell...

And in models, well if it wasnt for the ficticious liveries fotopic, i wouldnt have my Large Logo 60 in production, and a new unit for FGW - Adam will know, i just need to sell a few things to get the vinyls produced though, and wait till Phoenix Paints have the paint produced and ready for sale...biggrin.gif

I'm kinda swaying toward a 'what if sectorisation never happened' theme on my layout, so 58's, 60's, 90's and units would be in blue grey or even large logo, any takers? I'm really interested in a 60 and 58 in LL livery, I'm just not talented enough on the computer programs to try it tho:blush: BTW, the 60 in NSE looks ace:icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Gold

I've had a bash at 153 in fully upswept NSE (in the later Turbo style), as if these units were in use by Thames for the Greenford shuttle.

post-7123-12656564483475_thumb.jpg

I think i shall produce these sides as full vinyls in N if anybody fancies having a go! I've just backdated my own Dapol unit to Reggie Rail.

Oh no Captain Electra! Don't start offering fictional livery vinyls you'll be draining my bank account! At least you didn't say in OO! If I modelled in N I'd be taking you right up on that offer and I'd love to see the results of anyone who tries.

Hairyhandedfool - I love the 158s you've done in different liveries. I'm currently about to start trying a Class 166 in Southwest Trains!

• 3 weeks later...

med_gallery_6731_93_9576.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

What if rather than being withdrawn in 1977, the class 71s were refurbished for use on the new Gatwick Express service instead of the class 73s?

Paul

• Like 3

What if rather than being withdrawn in 1977, the class 71s were refurbished for use on the new Gatwick Express service instead of the class 73s?

I'll have to be evil here and say that you'd need to add EMU jumpers, a Pullman rubbing plate and a drop head buckeye and it would be spot on then (but then contempory pictures of that front end arrangement are impossible to get). But still nice to see a 71 getting the treatment :)

A couple of RCH jumpers would do it as well..?

I thought the front looked a bit clean compared with a class 73. Excuses being easier to create than photoshops, perhaps with 14 71s available they could have swapped locos at each end of the journey, avoiding the need for MU jumpers? And I think using a MK1 BG for luggage at either end of the formation would have made the buckeye and rubbing plate unnecessary too?

Paul

I thought the front looked a bit clean compared with a class 73. Excuses being easier to create than photoshops, perhaps with 14 71s available they could have swapped locos at each end of the journey, avoiding the need for MU jumpers?

Or why not just top and tail with the trailing one being dragged? Works for FGW.

Cheers

David

med_gallery_6731_93_9576.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

Paul

I like that a lot. They look much nicer than the 73s. Classy!

....Your Virgin red and silver class 158 looks very smart. It's a pity they always seemed to disown their 158s when they used them on cross country services....

....Hairyhandedfool - I love the 158s you've done in different liveries. I'm currently about to start trying a Class 166 in Southwest Trains!

Thank you both. Good luck with your project Beacon.

I had forgoten about a couple of other units I did for my 'Scorton' layout (RIP), so here they are....

TrackgangatForton.jpg

fnw121b.jpg

Unbranded FNW Gold Star livery (the idea being Northern had removed the First North Western branding) on a couple of 121s. I shudder to think how many stars would be needed for the full livery!

med_gallery_6731_93_393547.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Oxyman distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

South West Trains have said in a web chat with passengers that they plan to replace the Island Line's 1938 stock with 1973 stock after it is withdrawn from the Piccadilly line in 2014 (Question 21 here http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/archive.aspx?p=13# ) This is what it might look like in the current Stagecoach blue livery.

Paul

• Like 1

If someone could Photoshop this with the coaches in Chiltern Livery for me i'd be greatful!!

Well, it's a very poor quality job and somebody else will probablly be able to do better but here you go:

post-7703-126809362135_thumb.jpg

post-6731-12687729018_thumb.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Chris Beaumont distributed under the Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike license, and as such is released under the same license.

GEC's bid for what eventually became class 60 involved GM class 59s to be built under license at BREL Crewe Works. This is said to have been BR's preferred option, but "Buy British" prevailed and Brush's bid won.

• Like 1

anyone fancy a class 50 in scotrail livery?

back in 1991 a mate who worked higher up in scotrail than myself knew i was going to the laira open day.

he asked me to have a look at the laira scrap line to see what condition the 50s were in. it has to be said they were fairly well cannibalised.

apparently scotrail were looking at using 50s as a temporary replacement for the class 158s which were unreliable. whether any detailed inspection of the 50s were done I don't know but its an interesting what might have been