• RMweb Gold

No, no and thrice no to a third Peckett!

The directors of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway have distinctly said that they cannot justify the second one, let alone a third. Get on with more track laying, you idle blighter and stop worrying about Pecketts!

Rather nice and not in the least bit troublesome.

Rob.

I have laid more track last night and this morning. Slow, small increments, but the tandem turnout, the run-round crossover and a bit of plain track linking the two are now in situ.

YEY !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Track laying has now started, with the tandem turnout, the run-round crossover and some plain line connecting them now glued down:

post-57-0-39110400-1532772963.jpg

post-57-0-26646700-1532772974_thumb.jpg

This compares with an earlier view of the scenic section, with some track and buildings placed loosely for effect:

post-57-0-05394400-1532773002.jpg

• Like 16

Coming along nicely matey, the change in the weather certainly benefits us at the moment.

As an aside vis a vis our chat, and just for theoretical purposes, can I ask the overall length and height of the backscene please.

G

• RMweb Gold

A bit more track laying completed on the run-round loop and point controlling access to the coal siding:

post-57-0-25800400-1532809317.jpg

Southern followers may wish to note that a book on 'Bulleid Locomotives' is doing sterling service helping to weigh the track down as the glue goes off.

This is the run-round crossover, which I laid in place earlier today:

post-57-0-82380500-1532809379.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Once I'd finished my toast and marmalade this morning, I had the first instance of locomotion under electrical power this morning, when one of my panniers tested a piece of track.

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

And driving your first train isn't bad either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Once I'd finished my toast and marmalade this morning, I had the first instance of locomotion under electrical power this morning, when one of my panniers tested a piece of track.

Tremendous stuff, CK. I must say, I eagerly await the opportunity to do same on a post-inlaid Bleat Wharf.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The bad weather today in South Devon has meant that more track laying has been done.

First of all, some loco cassettes from 'Callow Lane' do service as weights, while the glue holding the coal siding goes off. The Gaugemaster controller behind is weighing down the spur from the run round loop, which I had glued down previously:

post-57-0-70742300-1532891290.jpg

By tea time, this was the extent of the track laying, with only the goods shed road at the back and the short spur siding off it remaining to be laid:

post-57-0-17739900-1532891343.jpg

I made a start on removing the plastic webbing from between the sleepers of some track that I had laid a few days ago:

post-57-0-74896100-1532891380.jpg

The view looking towards the buffer stops (or the place that they will occupy):

post-57-0-86600300-1532891427.jpg

The most recent track to be laid was the last set of points and a short connecting piece on the goods shed road. First of all the position of the point was worked out (using the full layout-size paper template, not pictured) and the short connecting piece of track cut to fit:

post-57-0-48825600-1532891511.jpg

Alignment was checked:

post-57-0-51355000-1532891529.jpg

Track to be glued was then removed for PVA to be brushed on and a slot cut in the baseboard top for the operating rod of the Cobalt point motor, to be mounted under the baseboard:

post-57-0-34084200-1532891557.jpg

PVA was then applied and the track replaced onto the glue:

post-57-0-23177000-1532891617.jpg

Finally, 'Bulleid Locomotives' and the Gaugemaster controller were pressed into service once again as weights:

post-57-0-88863300-1532891651.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff once again CK.

'Pressed into service'.......what,what .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tim what couplings will you be using I've a friend looking into building something similar to your layout

for his Huntley & Palmer loco's he wants it to be totally hands free.

• RMweb Gold

Tim what couplings will you be using I've a friend looking into building something similar to your layout

for his Huntley & Palmer loco's he wants it to be totally hands free.

Hi Bob, I use 3 links for all my locos and stock, not exactly hands-free, sorry!

• RMweb Gold

While waiting for the glue to dry on the last major piece of track to be laid on the scenic section, I turned my mind to the Cobalt point motors. As you may have seen, I'm not very quick on the update when it comes to electrical matters and I've got a thread going in the 'Held & Advice' section.

I've recently bought (thanks to help received from some RMWeb folk) an uncontrolled 12v DC power supply and I connected this up to one of the Cobalt motors this evening and managed to get the motor to operate.

But try as I might, I couldn't work out how to wire the connections to the motor to enable me to change polarity from the control panel, so I've had to ask for help again. My query is shown here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135310-cobalt-point-motors-wiring-for-dc-further-queries/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3249771

Edited by Captain Kernow

While waiting for the glue to dry on the last major piece of track to be laid on the scenic section, I turned my mind to the Cobalt point motors. As you may have seen, I'm not very quick on the update when it comes to electrical matters and I've got a thread going in the 'Held & Advice' section.

I've recently bought (thanks to help received from some RMWeb folk) an uncontrolled 12v DC power supply and I connected this up to one of the Cobalt motors this evening and managed to get the motor to operate.

But try as I might, I couldn't work out how to wire the connections to the motor to enable me to change polarity from the control panel, so I've had to ask for help again. My query is shown here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135310-cobalt-point-motors-wiring-for-dc-further-queries/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3249771

This technophobe septuagenarian discovered that DCC concepts have a number of PDF instructions which are really clear to understand; they are also very quick to pass on information to help if you e-mail them.

• RMweb Gold

Virtually all the track on the scenic section is now laid:

post-57-0-29222100-1533069385.jpg

post-57-0-43720600-1533069401.jpg

post-57-0-37693700-1533069418.jpg

post-57-0-69846300-1533069428.jpg

I have also tested all the Cobalts and finalised the layout diagram to go on the control panel.

CTMK has also taken the washing off the line and beaten me at Scrabble again.

• Like 12