390010 new livery

• RMweb Premium

Another bland livery then. Thanks for posting . I hadn't thought the Pendolinos were in line for relivery. Is it maybe only one? Virgin have a habit of applying advertising liveries.

Edited by Legend

Another bland livery then. Thanks for posting . I hadn't thought the Pendolinos were in line for relivery. Is it maybe only one? Virgin have a habit of applying advertising liveries.

They're all going through the shop - they have a facility near Runcorn where they can shunt a set in and vinyl it.

DfT grey strikes again! But then, if your paymaster was telling you they wanted grey, youd do it.

We now have:

- Virgin West Coast Class 390

- Northern

- South Western Railway

- Great Northern/Thameslink

- IET 800001-036 (to be vinyled GWR Green).

It is not off-white, but very much grey at the DfT - some grey spark thought if the entire fleet is painted in a base all over grey, the individual TOCs can put on their branding and save a fortune.... of course, being a grey spark, they have not realised it is difficult to sell a grey dull railway to car and air users...

Luckily, Virgin Trains East Coast shall have their own Virgin branding to the Class 800/801s - 800101 is only a celebration livery....DfT grey with a little red.

All we can agree, the pendolinos, as the VTWC is a management contract, are losing their smart livery instead for DfT grey, yay!

• Like 1

They're all going through the shop - they have a facility near Runcorn where they can shunt a set in and vinyl it.

It's a full repaint with bodywork repairs. pendolinos are at half life so this work is programmed. DfT insistent on neutral livery that can carry over to next franchise (i.e. Peel off the red virgin vinyl and nothing else needed).

Too bland and unimaginative for what is the  most advanced passenger train in service in Britain by a British manufacturer, Mett-Cammell, and I wish we could have  lots of different liveries for the fleet just to break up the monotony of the  railway scene.

Let us have liveries which say "Pace  and Grace"

Edited by Pandora

Who says this livery is DfT specified?

Also, whilst the Pendolini might have been screwed together in Birmingham and the electrics came from Preston, the bodies came from Italy and the bogies from Switzerland, and the interior fittings from a variety of countries.  "British" built is stretching it a bit.

• RMweb Premium

It's odd we live in a world now where mundane freight companies have the most colourful and outstanding liveries on the railways.

Maybe this is part of a cunning DFT plan to make railfreight stand out and win new business 

"DafT", "cunning" and "plan" are unlikely ever to appear in the same sentence.

• Like 1

Rather a pity.

I thought that the livery, the 'face', and the overall look of the train in original red worked very well. As someone says above, this makes it look as if it ate just a few too many pies, or stopped going to the gym a month or two back.

We all know that a bland, pale grey colour on a train gives an eminently forgettable look, devoid of charisma, and that only a dolt would select it, don't we?

post-26817-0-91191400-1505418268_thumb.png

• Like 2

I always thought that, but apparently not .......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=435M5j_fTpo

(Worth it for the narration alone)

Did he say 'it's pucking ancestors' really, I am shocked.

And it's only just in colour, took a minute to show some green - maybe colour was introduced slowly to the world.

Another one here, proper stirring music too

Edited by woodenhead

Not an improvement on the original in my humble opinion. The original is understated, this one is arty farty!

Davey

• RMweb Gold

DfT grey strikes again! But then, if your paymaster was telling you they wanted grey, youd do it.

We now have:

- Virgin West Coast Class 390

- Northern

- South Western Railway

- Great Northern/Thameslink

- IET 800001-036 (to be vinyled GWR Green).

It is not off-white, but very much grey at the DfT - some grey spark thought if the entire fleet is painted in a base all over grey, the individual TOCs can put on their branding and save a fortune.... of course, being a grey spark, they have not realised it is difficult to sell a grey dull railway to car and air users...

Luckily, Virgin Trains East Coast shall have their own Virgin branding to the Class 800/801s - 800101 is only a celebration livery....DfT grey with a little red.

All we can agree, the pendolinos, as the VTWC is a management contract, are losing their smart livery instead for DfT grey, yay!

Aren't we forgetting who had whitish trains before anyone else (I think) & also c2c. The Stansted Express used to have a apple green stripe, but that now seems to have succumbed to the white/grey regime. 

post-14351-0-99365300-1505423522_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-30334100-1505424133_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-90858000-1505424421_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1