Scared of Weathering

Quite simply, I don't want to ruin my trains!

At the moment, I can't really afford to buy some coaches or trucks to give weathering a go, but I have got Hornby's weathering book and a few articles in Model Rail to ready through.  But I'm still afraid, more so because I feel it might end up like cooking.  I can cook, but I always find food better when the wife has cooked for me.

I'm thinking I can try on some infrastructure (like a retaining wall) to get myself started.

How did you get started?

Were there any mishaps on the first few?

• RMweb Premium

At the moment, I can't really afford to buy some coaches or trucks to give weathering a go, but I have got Hornby's weathering book and a few articles in Model Rail to ready through.  But I'm still afraid, more so because I feel it might end up like cooking.  I can cook, but I always find food better when the wife has cooked for me.

I'm thinking I can try on some infrastructure (like a retaining wall) to get myself started.

How did you get started?

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Thanks for asking the question.

I will follow this thread with interest.

• RMweb Gold

I started by reading books and watching DVDs. Then I bought some equipment by asking about suitable items from a retailer. Then I kept everything in a drawer for 18 months while I plucked up courage. Finally, I went on a course at Missenden Abbey. That was when the penny dropped and I realised that it's not difficult. If you plan things properly you can even correct seemingly terminal errors.

I've had a few mishaps, but used them to remind me what not to do in the future. I document what I use (tools, materials and techniques) for every subject and take a photograph of the finished subject. Sometimes I remember to take photographs while working as well.

• RMweb Premium

Weathering is all about having courage to have a go.

Start on something cheap and cheerful..BUT first have a good look at colour photographs of the subject. You can paint a piece of plasticard and weather that - as I use ink rather than paints generally I can clean the weathering off with CiF and a toothbrush and use bits of Ian Kirk O Gauge coach sides as items for people to weather at demos..

It also pays to look at all types of weathering - you can use a multitude of weathering coats - and you don't always need to buy a spray gun (my original weathering worl made use of a Humbrol spray gun and very thinned down paint) and try different techniques to find the one that suits you

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't blame you being scared of spoiling your models. Everyone thinks it is easy, but most folk overdo it, some almost to the point of slapstick. 

and don't start on something Coachmann has lovingly painted and lined.. it could be expensive returning it to the original state..

Baz

I just use Tamiya powders and sometimes a few dabs of artist's acrylic for rust. They stay on well yet will come off easily with a wipe of alcohol on a cotton bud if necessary, so easily reversible.

I never seal them and with careful handling they only need to be topped up just occasionally. I always think less says more, so perfect for me anyway.  

post-17874-0-01885400-1512559536.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

How did you get started?

Get your wife to do your weathering?

Seriously, follow Barry O's advice and you won't go far wrong.

I agree, I'm in the same boat! I have some older models that I had as a child that I am one day going to have a go at weathering. I also have an airbrush, but at the moment nowhere practical to use it! I certainly don't want to weather all of my models but there are one or two I want to have a go at. However, I don't want to 'spoil' them. Like others have said it is more common to see weathering overdone than underdone!

Whenever I go to shows, I always see cheap wagons or even coaches on the second hand stalls, that have no boxes and are often a bit tatty, and that can be had for a couple of quid. You might also get lucky in a charity shop, local village hall market stalls or car boot sales, where you could find something cheap to practice on. You never know, you might even turn a cheap toy into quite a nice model!

Keep us posted with progress....!

1) use powders, don't bother with paint - it doesn't behave like real weathering and is too clunky

2) follow these videos - they're good

3) this one especially

4) start on something cheap and disposable!

5) don't bother with an airbrush - again, as with point 1 airbrushing does not really mimic how weathering behaves.

Other folk will have different approaches, but this works for me.  Examples of mine below.

post-238-0-32258300-1512561097_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-26430300-1512561109_thumb.jpg

Good luck, you'll soon get the hang of it!

• Like 5

How did you get started?

When I weather an item I keep this mind " no matter how over enthusiastic you think your weathering may have been you only need to look at the prototype to see that nature can and often will leave you far behind" ,

Edited by pctrainman
  • Like 1

Take a look at some military modelling sites or mags. Some of their weathering can be inspirational and is often streets ahead of what is sometimes seen on layouts. The old adage of always work from a photograph and not from another model is something to follow at all times and bear in mind that different stock might require alternative techniques. For instance, a smooth sided coach will vary widely from a dirty planked wagon and what may be good for one might not have the same results on the other.

Whatever, have a go and see where you get. That's what modelling is all about, doing things you haven't tried before and adding another skill to your abilities.

I would concur with most of what has already been said; its very good advice. I would add that not trying to do too much at once is the best policy. Don't try and do a whole vehicle in one go. 

Start with something less obvious than bodysides, for instance. Try a bogie side frame or something that can be all manner of colours/shades in real life, and concentrate on that for your first attempts - with the help of colour photos. 

Build the effect up over a number of sessions, and you will begin to get a feel for what you can do easily and what is going to take a lot of trial and possible error. 

Weathering is very much an individual thing as to how you want the finished item to look . There are many techniques and different products out there to use, I use several different modelling products but also you can think a little out of the box and look in pound shops for things like makeup brushes, art shops for charcoals, pastels, pencils and paints. The main thing is to use a photo whenever possible and be patient. Just remember we all started from scratch and everybody made mistakes along the way.

• Like 1

Read Martyn Welch’s book “The Art of Weathering”. Get an old wagon, second hand, and have a bash. Tread lightly, it’s easy to overdo it but if you follow the book you will be pleased.

All usual disclaimers apply.

HTH

David

Edited to correct predictive text that got it wrong.

Edited by davknigh

All good advice and I'd definitely recommend the books mentioned, there's also loads of inspiration on here, just look through the weathering and painting forums and find some techniques that you feel you could do.  Get something cheap and have a play, enjoy yourself and don't forget to show us how you get on.  

Good luck.

Steve.

Jonathan Wealleans did a simple demo at Warley using Hornby trainset wagons - there are loads out there for a few quid - the boxes under the tables at swapmeets being the place to start - you don't start with the good stuff, you work your way up to it

Practice is the key, but I've been to lots of shows this yer with a weathering demo - take time to sit and watch someone else do it. There are plenty of videos online as well.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I started using Airfix, now Dapol, kits, I built, painted them and weathered them, if I wasn't happy, I stripped them and started again. The range includes Steam engines, Diesels coaches and wagons, so you get to practice on the full range of stuff. I built them as supplied as non were of prototypes I wanted or needed.  As others have said a good photo or two helps. The only costs are the kits, solvent, paint and time.

Tread lightly, it’s easy to overdo it

Lots of good advice on this thread, but this 1 statement stood out to me.

Everything seems to look more weathered after it has dried, so avoid the temptation to keep going until it looks right because it will look too dirty once it has dried. If you find you have not gone far enough, you can always give it another coat.

Think about where the dirt comes from: Brake dust is heavier around the brakes. Coal dust from the tops of wagons & tenders, Soot from the chimney of steam engines or exhaust of diesels. An airbrush is good (but not essential) for dust except that rain washes in down a little causing streaks. Rust spreads out from seams & hinges then rain washes it downwards (Mark 1 coaches were particularly prone to rusty door hinges).

Some get good results from thinned down paint & others prefer powders. It comes down to what experience you have had with them in the past.

• Like 1