Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

An up-date on my Thumper.

I got hold of some new Kadee couplings to give them a try on the unit as the ones I had on it have been fouling the corridor buffer above the buckeyes. They come with the buckeye in line with the shaft, lower than centre or higher than centre. I ordered a set of the lower than centre and centre ones and was surprised to find that you get two pairs in a pack for under £5. So I have used the lower ones in the middle and the centre ones on the ends.

I have got some whitemetal castings to go on the corridor buffers. Normally these are up under the corridor so you can't see them but they are very visible on these between the coaches.

post-6766-0-81624400-1359372038.jpg

post-6766-0-55509400-1359372041.jpg

Pulling the trailer on the straight.

post-6766-0-58556300-1359372043.jpg

Pushing the trailer on the straight.

post-6766-0-41810700-1359372047.jpg

Pushing the trailer on a curve. Can't see the paint lasting long on the ends of the corridor buffers.

post-6766-0-62419900-1359372049.jpg

Pulling the trailer on a curve.

post-6766-0-42897300-1359372052_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-03217500-1359372055.jpg

Water fillers on a Berkshire are internal and not up the ends and over the roof as a Hampshire is fitted. So I made the fillers from plasticard.

post-6766-0-05907500-1359371998_thumb.jpg

Copyright Peter Clark.

post-6766-0-59103700-1359372057.jpg

I had made the handrails on the front of the trailer and power cars from .7 wire but I thought they were too thick so I have changed them to 5 wire. Also added full length foot boards to the trailer and driving trailer.

post-6766-0-13164600-1359372036.jpg

Speedo added to the driving trailer from Westdale.

post-6766-0-07930100-1359372061_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-58106800-1359372075.jpg

Life guards made from brass strip.

I am also slowly adding the door hinges etc. I added it up and there are 8 solder joints to make to each door which adds up to over 350 for the 3 coaches!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

It's about 5 minutes per door and the Easybuild hinges are 2 part to put together. Easybuild have just as much to do but it's glued together. JLTRT only have 3 bits to glue per door so much easier. As they say, no pain no gain, and the fingers on my left hand certainly have the pain from holding these parts on whilst soldering from the inside of the coach!

The new Kadees are an improvement on the standard 805. The buckeye has a different spring arrangement on the knuckle and I find works well.

The new range is here. http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/Opl.htm

I have used them for my O gauge stock and have no complaints. If the do the short and long over / underset versions as well I will be very happy.

It's about 5 minutes per door and the Easybuild hinges are 2 part to put together. Easybuild have just as much to do but it's glued together. JLTRT only have 3 bits to glue per door so much easier. As they say, no pain no gain, and the fingers on my left hand certainly have the pain from holding these parts on whilst soldering from the inside of the coach!

Coaches, whilst I love riding in them, to model, as kits etc. are a real chore LOL!

• 5 weeks later...

Blimey it looks like have been away for a while. I can assure you I have been beavering away on Heljan stuff and building a JLTRT BG.

post-6766-0-70790100-1361973781.jpg

The door hinges are from Easybuild.

post-6766-0-40372700-1361973784.jpg

I have added a label clip that I had etched some time ago.

post-6766-0-14983600-1361973786.jpg

Nice etched bogies and I fitted a Westdale dynamo as per my other Mk1's.

post-6766-0-47167500-1361973788.jpg

It's also a Westdale vac cylinder.

post-6766-0-62558200-1361973790.jpg

The uprights on the guards steps were changed to a more sturdy piece of brass instead of the etch that is inbetween the two steps.

post-6766-0-26002200-1361973792.jpg

A few bits of the interior resting inside to give you an idea of it, there is more to add.

post-6766-0-95882600-1361973793.jpg

For some reason it had a hole for one to many roof vents.

post-6766-0-87761800-1361973795.jpg

I found the indents under the floor for the tyres to go in were not as long as on their 64' Mk1's so I lengthened them as the wheels were rubbing the ends.

post-6766-0-14927600-1361973798.jpg

To put the vac cylinder to the right of the V hanger I had to move the brake cross shaft out a bit to squeeze the cylinder in between it and the truss. You could put the cylinder on the left of the V hanger if you want the pull rod to the bogie to go over the top of the axle instead of under it.

post-6766-0-98736700-1361973799.jpg

I used a JLTRT lost wax buckeye at one end and a Kadee at the other. This end also has Westdale working buffers as they are easier to spring than the supplied ones.

post-6766-0-09296700-1361973810.jpg

For some reason the roof locating screw is right up behind the bufferbeam one end which means you can't get a Kadee dragbox in there. I even had to shorten the casting on the JLTRT buckeye to get it in.

Oh and I have just thought of something else I can add to the Thumper if Westdale will play ball at Kettering.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 4

Blimey it looks like have been away for a while. I can assure you I have been beavering away on Heljan stuff and building a JLTRT BG.

attachicon.gifIMG_2063.jpg

The door hinges are from Easybuild.

attachicon.gifIMG_2064.jpg

I have added a label clip that I had etched some time ago.

attachicon.gifIMG_2065.jpg

Nice etched bogies and I fitted a Westdale dynamo as per my other Mk1's.

attachicon.gifIMG_2066.jpg

It's also a Westdale vac cylinder.

attachicon.gifIMG_2067.jpg

The uprights on the guards steps were changed to a more sturdy piece of brass instead of the etch that is inbetween the two steps.

attachicon.gifIMG_2069.jpg

A few bits of the interior resting inside to give you an idea of it, there is more to add.

attachicon.gifIMG_2071.jpg

For some reason it had a hole for one to many roof vents.

attachicon.gifIMG_2074.jpg

I found the indents under the floor for the tyres to go in were not as long as on their 64' Mk1's so I lengthened them as the wheels were rubbing the ends.

attachicon.gifIMG_2075.jpg

To put the vac cylinder to the right of the V hanger I had to move the brake cross shaft out a bit to squeeze the cylinder in between it and the truss. You could put the cylinder on the left of the V hanger if you want the pull rod to the bogie to go over the top of the axle instead of under it.

attachicon.gifIMG_2076.jpg

I used a JLTRT lost wax buckeye at one end and a Kadee at the other. This end also has Westdale working buffers as they are easier to spring than the supplied ones.

attachicon.gifIMG_2077.jpg

For some reason the roof locating screw is right up behind the bufferbeam one end which means you can't get a Kadee dragbox in there. I even had to shorten the casting on the JLTRT buckeye to get it in.

Oh and I have just thought of something else I can add to the Thumper if Westdale will play ball at Kettering.

Hi Brian,

Lovely work.

Love the doc. clip etc.!! WOW!! - those JLTRT coaches really do look a treat, can I ask, why you never 'went to town' on the LMS BG with U/F detail etc., when most of your stock is so highly detailed (no value judgements on my part, just, as a poor lost soul, an observation/wondering why - in otherwords do you have a standard set of criteria for all your models or is such on a model by model basis?).

JLTRT do a Guards Compartment 'super-detail' set, which is superb, just a shame that such cannot be seen!

BTW I have sent you a PM about those etches.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Nice looking coach there Brian. Why have you modelled an early build BG with un-equalised brake gear on the bogie as against a late build with equalised bogie brake gear? (unequalised version has symmetrical vee and vac cyl inboard of hangers... equalised version has assymetrical vee and vac cyl outboard of hangers)

regards, Graham

Good question CME. I think if I was building the LMS BG from a kit then I probably would add a bit more but with RTR stuff I don't tend to go too far, don't ask me why, and I know diddly squat about LMS coaches! But do know a bit more about Mk1's. Which leads to the Grahams question. I do like my Mk1's with BR1 bogies to have the pullrods hanging off the bottom of the brake cross shaft, it just looks right. On my B4 and Commonwealth bogied coaches I have them going the other way so I have got a variety. You do get both V hangers in the kits. With the vac cylinder on the left you need a V hanger with a straight upright on it.

I do have some window frame etches that I could add to this but think I will leave it like this for a change as I have seen them in the late 70's still without them.

Edited by brian daniels

Very nice Brian.

Mine looks like yours, gosh !!!!

The body roof fixing screws I changed for countersunk ones have first countersunk the holes of course and it cured all sorts of issues.

I used Easy Build etched brass window frames and for me it adds to its appearance.

As for wheel rubbing, not noticed it on mine. Got Roxey Moulding ones and the bush the bogie mounts onto in the floor of the coach is flush with the underside. Will look this weekend when at home.

Good idea to reinforce the guards steps, I have lost one already by just picking the coach up and my finger hitting it and folding it over fracturing the very thin brass supports.

It was my first JLTRT coach and the experience of building it and the well known issues with their kits set me up well for my second coach a 722 TPO. But it certainly is a good place to start.

Edited by two tone green

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the insight.

I tend to like adding the cross-shafts/brake gear, yet I havent bothered with my MK1's as I am using the EZ Build bogies (I will add some to their Commonwealth Bogies as they look bare without). I must admit those JLTRT BR1/2 Bogies look very good, I first remember seeing Dave Lowery knock some up and I thought that they were superb - he usess the adage of, so I am told, '....if you cant see it then why model it...'. That's what I love about model-making its a broad-church. I agree on the LMS BG, I have followed your lead and just added what can be seen (yet that is a challenge as MTH haven't placed all of the U/F gear accurately as far as I can tell) and I have found the info I need to make it suitable to run in the BR era, yet such info is sketchy, whereas the likes of Jenkinson and Essery have covered the vehicles - very well -  prior to Nationalisation.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Looking good Brian, how is the thumper coming on?

Ian G

Sorting some etches out from Pete Harvey at the moment Ian so it will be on the back burner now. Also I might do something with the door windows if my idea works at Kettering on Saturday.

I must get and sort out my 4 warwells next.

Well I had a semi productive day at Kettering. The downer was that I can't get any Easybuild etch door hinges for the BG as they are out of stock and won't get any for a couple of months, they hope!

But on a positive note I have ordered a JLTRT class 27 to do as 27025 with ploughs and no boiler tanks.

I also picked up 80 Westdale whitemetal MkI window inserts to recess the droplights on a MkI door. As you can see in the pictures I taped one behind a door and added some glazing to see if the glazing did show up that it is recessed. I think it should look ok with all the windows done looking down a coach side. I think I will solder them in as the profile of the Westdale casting is a bit more curved than the side of the coach so a bit of low melt should fill the little gap in ok. It's going to be a long and tedious job tinning then low melt soldering them in but worth it in the end, I hope so anyway!

post-6766-0-45764500-1362313007.jpg

post-6766-0-86008200-1362313009.jpg

post-6766-0-11204700-1362313012.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Those inserts make a big difference Brian, though I didn't know they even existed!  Funnily enough, I'd thought about trying to do something similar to my MMP Mk1, when I get around to building it, which won't be for some time unfortunately....

Regards

Dan 

I have always been meaning to do an NB 27 and your conversion rekindled the flame and then that pic on Flickr of 27025's boiler exhaust cover just clinched it. My resistance was low yesterday!

Carry on with your rebuild as you are doing a cracking job

• Like 1