Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

Well Olivias BP is a dead'un so the topic can remain for the 76. I did consider re-titling it but then people wouldn't be able to reference the early part of the saga.

There are early posts that refer to both so it would be an unproductive task to untangle it I'm afraid.

E26002 Aurora certainly did appear in electric blue. Just found a couple of pics at Sheffield Victoria, without SYP in 1964 & with SYP in 1965.

The model I saw was of it in the light blue, complete with the lining (IIRC), but the model I have is in the later and darker early version, i.e. the faintly mythical Chromatic Blue, complete with a light grey roof.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I seem to remember these locos when I used to spot at Manchester Piccadilly as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's.

Think they were on the far platforms along with the 506 Units (wish they were available in 4mm).

My question is, which version of the 76 is most likely to have run passenger services into Piccadilly, the version with MU cables on the cab or the one without. Or did it not matter. Sorry I don't know the details of the class, just a memory of them from childhood.

Ive joined this thread late on, Ive skipped through the thread to see if there is an answer to my question but could not see, apologies if Ive missed it.

Thanks.

Garry

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I seem to remember these locos when I used to spot at Manchester Piccadilly as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's.

Think they were on the far platforms along with the 506 Units (wish they were available in 4mm).

My question is, which version of the 76 is most likely to have run passenger services into Piccadilly, the version with MU cables on the cab or the one without. Or did it not matter. Sorry I don't know the details of the class, just a memory of them from childhood.

Ive joined this thread late on, Ive skipped through the thread to see if there is an answer to my question but could not see, apologies if Ive missed it.

Thanks.

Garry

Without.

Pre-production samples here: http://www.oliviastr.../pages/1743/EM1

A few observations:

1. Green one - as a namer, the BR totem should be on a separate panel in centre/top of loco side. OK to cover on one side (the one with more grills/windows) as in correct position and size, but other side is in wrong position and large (so difficult to correct).

2. Location holes for discs either side of lights are very prominent on the full yellow ends.

3. Centres of lights on the later-period locos should not be wholly clear, but have non-concentric fill-ins leaving only a small clear circle at the bottom (lower three lights) or top (light between windscreens).

4. Very bottom edge of front, i.e. under the lip/shelf, on Blue FYE versions should be blue, not yellow (and also probably the upper edge of the lip too):

76027 Reddish

5. E26049 (and E26050)had different pattern of rain strips on cab roof to the standard ones shown on model:

Sheffield Victoria Yorkshire Spring 1969

6. Otherwise, looking great, especially lining on the black one!

• RMweb Premium

Mr Olivia, hold a piece of kitchen foil or white paper in front of the train to bounce light back at the model, then we can see how good it is.

..or my cheapskate method, a 'foil fresh' crisp packet turned inside out.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.oliviastr.../76/76022_2.jpg

What are the black marks either side of the lights?

No sign of them on the real thing

http://www.flickr.co...pool-943903@N23

Peter

They look like they're for fixing the 'headcode' disks, they do appear on the flickr photo, but not so obvious.

I'm very taken with them - despite the usual grumbles - but it mystifies me why all the blue examples come with cream roofs. Not exactly how I remember them - a banger blue version with a plain grotty roof would surely sell better than any 'special'?

• RMweb Gold

Difficult to tell the overall quality of the finish with such poorly lit images. Mr Olivia, hold a piece of kitchen foil or white paper in front of the train to bounce light back at the model, then we can see how good it is. Or PM me and I'll come and do them for you, I'm close enuff.

http://www.oliviastr.../76/26020_3.jpg

Nothing joining the bogies together either.

Difficult to tell the overall quality of the finish with such poorly lit images. Mr Olivia, hold a piece of kitchen foil or white paper in front of the train to bounce light back at the model, then we can see how good it is. Or PM me and I'll come and do them for you, I'm close enuff.

http://www.oliviastr.../76/26020_3.jpg

Re the photograph, why do we have such a big gap between the bogies, the real ones are tapered but in the model they are flat. Body looks OK but bogie sideframes too short. Sorry but the underneath of a Bo+Bo is 'All Bogie' not Bogie + Space + Bogie.

Charlie P. Sadly I offered them the drawings way back, thats LNER Doncaster drawings!!!

I'm very taken with them - despite the usual grumbles - but it mystifies me why all the blue examples come with cream roofs. Not exactly how I remember them - a banger blue version with a plain grotty roof would surely sell better than any 'special'?

All roofs were Cream/Buff colour just most of them were VERY dirty!

Archived