Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

• RMweb Premium

It's gone really quiet in this post for a long time - however I had a call from Olivia's Trains last night to obtain up to date credit card details; if all goes to plan the despatch of pre-orders are expected to commence towards the end of this month - be prepared...!!

Hi Keith

HJope you are well

Nice to see the pic of 26020, I used to see the real one regularly, And i clearly remeber the TV news the day it pulled the first train thro the \ (New) Woodhead Tunnnel,

I would love to own one but I dont think it would go well with the 0n30 stuff which is in predominace at the mo!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Got the call a couple of days ago. They're here!

2 x 76 just arrived today. One in black, one in green.

Initial thoughts are excellent, except the handrails are a bit flimsy (you get a spare set) and I am not sure you will ever get the pantographs to work well with the overhead wires (springs seem a bit strong to me)

I plan to add some extra detail and weathering and I may decide to modify or replace the pantographs. Otherwise a great little model and worth the wait.

Paul

My noisy blue multi working one arrived today....If I am honest I cannot remember what noise they made but the model sounds effective enough. Typical whine and buzz of an electric loco. Delighted with the model. The carbon deposits are going to have to go on the roof during weathering process. Runs nicely. A little expensive but congrats to Olivia's for making it happen!

• RMweb Premium

My matt black EM1 arrived this morning, looks better "in the flesh" than the photos and articles had led me to expect. I think that the cab side windows are a bit too low, probably by 1 - 1.5mm, and the cab roof is a touch flat. I think that I can live with those problems, but the cab window issue might be more obvious on the blue 76's. It's now in bits, awaiting :-

P4 wheels.

New pantographs.

Grey transfer line.

Black plasticard extensions to bogie rears.

Insulator mounting plates lowered.

and if I can figure out how, lower body on bogies.

Nothing too taxing there.

Alex.

What brand of replacement pantograph is recommended ??

The ones on Deepcar are either Sommerfeldt or from Lima 87's, and I believe Judith Edge does a kit. I wouldn't write the pan off just yet, as the spring force can be reduced by stretching a few coils.

I would echo 'some' of the issues but not glazing, mine is fine, printing, again fine on mine, pans will be a whole lot better when toned down and detensioned just a little. Grilles again mine all fit fine. Then again there shouldn't be inconsistency coming out of the factory in terms of finish. Would like a solution to the bogie gap that fills in the space but still allows running around curves? Linking the bogies is not an option. Still love it. Just got to work out whether Sommerfeldt Dutch catenary with some judicious tweakery will pass for Woodhead or whether we scratch build? Balmy class 76 summer of '76 at Guide bridge with my butty box and Instamatic all over again!

Having heard about this project right at the beginning from a work colleague, I was quite interested until the price came out.

Speaking personally, I'm finding prices for RTR more and more unjustifiable, this being way beyond both my means at present and what I am willing to pay,

That said, for those that can, and there are plenty, good luck but I won't be buying.

Yes, it looks good, better than my DC Kits ones, although it still has issues. The oldest of my DC ones was put together in the mid 80's, and has served very well. Currently I have 13 DC kits ones to replace those would cost over £2,000!

Deepcar will probably be retired in the foreseeable future, our first show was in 1991, we don't have any invites at the moment and are building a new non-Woodhead layout, so the requirement for the locos will be purely personal. With the advent of these models hopefully Deepcar will be replaced on the exhibition circuit by several good MSW layouts.

It would be nice to see one or two posed for photos under wires, that way a proper impression of them can be gained.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I really ought to get on and finish the O gauge one!

Edit: Apparently we have an invite for Northampton show in July?

My batch of 5 arrived yesterday morning, 3 blue 76014 (2 to renumber), 1 76022 (always a favourite!) and 1 in green (just because it looked nice!) and I have to say im impressed and glad I bought them. Ive been waiting for a decent model of these for years and all credit to olivias for doing it!

However, I am slightly disappointed in the fact that a couple of mine arrived with loose bufferbeams and loose cab steps. I dont know wether this is down to quality control issues or the postage but its still a bit annoying, especially on a loco thats not exactly cheap! Still at least the bits were still in the box and they were easy to refit.

Im a BR blue fan myself but I think my favourite is the green version, it just looks perfect in that livery with the lining.

I am definatly willing to overlook the slight inaccuracies with these, they are way, way better than my old DC kits models and needless to say they run perfectly, something my DC kits ones could never do! Im even very tempted to order a few more!!

I cant wait for my EM2 to arrive later in the year now.

The down side to all this, I suppose, is I need to find some more room to build a model of woodhead! Theres no excuse not to now!

Would like a solution to the bogie gap that fills in the space but still allows running around curves? Linking the bogies is not an option.

I've heard of a small piece of black foam used in a similar way on an articulated steeplecab, it sounds crude but fills the gap between the bogies and gives the impression the linking arrangement is there.

Hi all, this is a question for anyone else who has the EM1 model or has read a decent review of it: what sort of functionality should I be getting for the lights?

I recieved 76014 yesterday and the instructions only go so far as to say that a 4 function decoder is needed. I fitted a Hornby 4 function 8-pin with adaptor (all I had lying around) but all I can get is one corner light at whichever is the leading end using F0. F1 and F2 do nothing. The decoder has previously been used in a Bachmann 37 with cab lights on F1 so I know it does work.

Anyone have any suggestions or at least some advice on which lights should be coming on?

Cheers

Well, im so impressed with these ive just ordered another two! This brings my total to seven EM1s!! :O

Has anyone else ordered this many, can anyone beat my seven!?

This is becoming a very expensive obsession!

I have plenty of renumbering to do now, and catenery to start building... :locomotive:

Hi all, this is a question for anyone else who has the EM1 model or has read a decent review of it: what sort of functionality should I be getting for the lights?

I recieved 76014 yesterday and the instructions only go so far as to say that a 4 function decoder is needed. I fitted a Hornby 4 function 8-pin with adaptor (all I had lying around) but all I can get is one corner light at whichever is the leading end using F0. F1 and F2 do nothing. The decoder has previously been used in a Bachmann 37 with cab lights on F1 so I know it does work.

Anyone have any suggestions or at least some advice on which lights should be coming on?

Cheers

8pin / 21pin adapters may not pass every output through,on some Aux 1 isn't

Hi

had a good look and took my 76014 out of the box yesterday, the inner bogie ends (if that makes sense) were loose in the box but some superglue will fix that! Not sure what it is but I just don't like it! It's not the model -although i think the pantographs are a bit crap- it must be the prototype! I have read books and looked at the pictures of the real thing but holding the model in my hands i just didn't like it! That said i'm not sending it back!!!

I don't know the prototype well enough to say this or that is wrong so it can't be a fault of the model. I also don't discourage anyone from buying it maybe its a 'its not you it's me' moment! Was considering a future order for a 77 but maybe not now!

mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi

had a good look and took my 76014 out of the box yesterday, the inner bogie ends (if that makes sense) were loose in the box but some superglue will fix that! Not sure what it is but I just don't like it! It's not the model -although i think the pantographs are a bit crap- it must be the prototype! I have read books and looked at the pictures of the real thing but holding the model in my hands i just didn't like it! That said i'm not sending it back!!!

I don't know the prototype well enough to say this or that is wrong so it can't be a fault of the model. I also don't discourage anyone from buying it maybe its a 'its not you it's me' moment! Was considering a future order for a 77 but maybe not now!

mark

I think that EM1s were always an acquired taste when it came to aesthetics - a sort of visual equivalent of Marmite perhaps (although that might be too strong a comparison). And that 'taste' can obviously transfer to a model so I can easily understand someone unfamiliar with the prototype not liking the look of the model (especially if it happened to be in Rail Blue instead of the 'proper' colours the class carried - and that's revealing one of my Marmites ;) ).

Archived