Olivia's Class 76 LE (inc earlier Blue Pullman content)

Gulliver

Ive always liked the 76s. True, they do look very odd but theres nothing else like them, they are in most respects very unusual. I think that and their ugly looks is all part of the appeal for me!

Although I think they look nicest in green, their BR blue days were the highlight for me. BR blue was always my favorite livery and period, just my personal taste I suppose, most people seem to hate it!

Guest maxthemapman

Next decision, doI go for an LNER green one?....fancy it with a train of LNER Gresley teaks...it is my railway :danced:

Keith

LNER green for me too please, I need some for the GCR electrification extension to London, LT underground trains and LNER expresses at Rickmansworth.

Rail Blue or black with the 'cycling lion' totem were the best two liveries they carried - I always found the lined green a bit too fussy. Rail Blue, battered, and a bit unloved is the guise in which I remember them well. Black is the livery that, on a good day, I can convince myself I remember! (I was born a year before BR switched to green). In response to some of the comments above, I'm currently building my 14th (in 2FS). Does that make me more obsessive than anyone else on this thread? :-) The looks of the real thing? Maybe it was an acquired taste. I found them fascinating because while at first glance they were the original box on wheels, when you looked a bit more closely you found lots of curves and other features - like the inset cabs - that give them an interest that has captivated me for most of my life. Also makes them a devil to model well. They were trim, purposeful looking engines. Someone once wrote of them: 'it is a mountaineer and looks like one'. Just about sums it up for me.

Alan

Rail Blue or black with the 'cycling lion' totem were the best two liveries they carried - I always found the lined green a bit too fussy. Rail Blue, battered, and a bit unloved is the guise in which I remember them well. Black is the livery that, on a good day, I can convince myself I remember! (I was born a year before BR switched to green). In response to some of the comments above, I'm currently building my 14th (in 2FS). Does that make me more obsessive than anyone else on this thread? :-) The looks of the real thing? Maybe it was an acquired taste. I found them fascinating because while at first glance they were the original box on wheels, when you looked a bit more closely you found lots of curves and other features - like the inset cabs - that give them an interest that has captivated me for most of my life. Also makes them a devil to model well. They were trim, purposeful looking engines. Someone once wrote of them: 'it is a mountaineer and looks like one'. Just about sums it up for me.

Alan

14 EM1s - we have a winner!!, I dont think I can get near that without bankrupting myself!

I agree with you about BR blue with cycling lion totem, id forgotten about that livery on the EM1s (76022 aside) and it does look good on them. Ive seen photos of them in this livery but some seem to look more like chromatic blue as apposed to BR blue? I dont know if they ever did use this shade or if its just old photos making it look that way? anyone know for sure?

By the way Alan, and appologies if im wrong and its not your layout, your mini msw layout is fantastic. Its proving to be very inspirational to my own woodhead modelling (Just mines 4mm!). It just looks superb and really has a 'woodhead' atmosphere about it.

Ive also just found my last old DC kits EM1, it doesnt run anymore and looks a bit rough now but I was wondering what to do with it. Maybe a conversion into one of the grounded bodys at Reddish, something a bit differant.

I recieved my EM1 last week i ordered one with a DCC sound chip, however it dosent run on DC just gives a short cherp of the horn and no movement when the juice is applied ., Is this normal ? I dont have n operating DCC system yet and till now have no problems with other DCC sound chipped locos BTW I have a silverfox EM1 there are quite a few noticable differencies buffer beam height ,cab roof profile, buffer width and overall height i wll post some comparative photos shortly

• RMweb Premium

In response to some of the comments above, I'm currently building my 14th (in 2FS). Does that make me more obsessive than anyone else on this thread? :-)

Hi Alan

Slightly more than me, I'm only up to number eight out of the twelve 2mm kits I have.

Cheers

Paul

I'm currently building my 14th (in 2FS). Does that make me more obsessive than anyone else on this thread? :-)

Alan

I must be slightly less obsessive, I've got 13 DC Kits ones done. I can't really say build as they are a one piece casting, I have another three to do at some point! I must also finish my O gauge one, that would make 14 though ooeerrr :jester:

Saw a Heljan one in the plastic last night. The Rail Blue 76014, it looked very, well, plastic. The roof colour is what I would call beige, not the distinct yellow as shown in a book , may have been 'Rails in the North West', of a fresh depot repaint. The roof is a distinct yellow, but different from the warning panel.

It was universally agreed the pantographs are very crude and unlikely to work properly under wires as there is no bracing to keep them in shape. The bogie sideframes are lacking in depth, as seem to be most RTR non steam models, the real ones have massive springs and shackles. It still appears the cabside windows are set too low, somebody suggested taking out the glazing, 'moving' the window aperture up and reglazing, on a £160 loco :no:

Would I buy one? I'm afraid not, I can't justify it to myself, can't really afford it anyway. if it was absolutely spot on and usable I might consider it, more for the sake of having one in the same way I'd buy a Trix one if at the right price.

Hi 40 058... Mini-MSW is my layout - though not all the 76s are in rail blue. I'm currently working on a small batch of black ones with a vague plan to run them alongside my small collection of ex GC steam locos - also in 2FS,

Nice to hear from you Paul - keep on building!

Great Central - not for me to comment on the Heljan model because I haven't seen it in the flesh yet. But the roof in BR blue days certainly was not beige - it was more a primrose colour. Not that it lasted long. A combination of everyday grime and the special muck that came off the carbon pantograph strips saw to that.

Alan

LNER green for me too please, I need some for the GCR electrification extension to London, LT underground trains and LNER expresses at Rickmansworth.

Often thought of that myself. However the electrification would probably have avoided the Metropolitan route and used the GWR route via South Ruislip. Visions of EM1 & 2s and Standard & '59 Stock though on adjacent tracks.

.. I'm currently building my 14th (in 2FS). Does that make me more obsessive than anyone else on this thread? :-) .

Do 14 Trix ones, 2DC Kits and 1 NNK Kit to build plus 76014 from Olivias, Oh and an O gauge one to build as well trump that? I need to stay home more.

I must be slightly less obsessive, I've got 13 DC Kits ones done. I can't really say build as they are a one piece casting, I have another three to do at some point! I must also finish my O gauge one, that would make 14 though ooeerrr :jester:

Saw a Heljan one in the plastic last night. The Rail Blue 76014, it looked very, well, plastic. The roof colour is what I would call beige, not the distinct yellow as shown in a book , may have been 'Rails in the North West', of a fresh depot repaint. The roof is a distinct yellow, but different from the warning panel.

It was universally agreed the pantographs are very crude and unlikely to work properly under wires as there is no bracing to keep them in shape. The bogie sideframes are lacking in depth, as seem to be most RTR non steam models, the real ones have massive springs and shackles. It still appears the cabside windows are set too low, somebody suggested taking out the glazing, 'moving' the window aperture up and reglazing, on a £160 loco :no:

Would I buy one? I'm afraid not, I can't justify it to myself, can't really afford it anyway. if it was absolutely spot on and usable I might consider it, more for the sake of having one in the same way I'd buy a Trix one if at the right price.

Sorry but my Trix ones are not up for sale.

The roof of 76014 is an unusual colour, possibly because we are so used to seeing the locos with the roof covered in dust and grime . There is a picture on page 33 in Alan Whitehouse's book "On The Woodhead Route" showing 76020 in 1970 with what looks like a lemon yellow coloured roof. However because of the angle of the sun I wonder if the colour is accurate. But I agree that the roof colour does look unusual.

The pans are a disappointment especially if you wanted to run with them up under the wires.

The cabside windows could do with being a little higher set, but the overall impression isn't bad, at least to my eyes.

Am I pleased with it? Yes I am.What would I change? The roof colour, and the pantographs.

• RMweb Premium

iirc, the colour was primrose yellow - don't know if the paint had any insulating or other properties relevant to an electric's roof well or whether it was just used to indicate an area you shouldn't be too close to!

I recieved my EM1 last week i ordered one with a DCC sound chip, however it dosent run on DC just gives a short cherp of the horn and no movement when the juice is applied ., Is this normal ? I dont have n operating DCC system yet and till now have no problems with other DCC sound chipped locos BTW I have a silverfox EM1 there are quite a few noticable differencies buffer beam height ,cab roof profile, buffer width and overall height i wll post some comparative photos shortly

The problem is that the DC start voltage is set too high, or at least it was on mine. It would run fine on DCC but not on DC. The problem is the value for the CV controlling the DC starting voltage has been set at 90, which I think is around 9 Volts. The default value for CV 125 on the LS4 is 30 which I think is rather closer to 3 volts. Once I reduced it to 30 it then ran on DC, a 50 year old Duette..

The mapping of the lights is a bit odd too, all being combined with unrelated sounds. I've temporaily moved the light controls on mine to work off F15 to F18.

The Railcom Automatic Registration works, at least it does with my ECoS, but the function buttons for some of the sounds didn't seem to have been set correctly to permanent or momentary, I adjusted several of mine.

Hi all, this is a question for anyone else who has the EM1 model or has read a decent review of it: what sort of functionality should I be getting for the lights?

I recieved 76014 yesterday and the instructions only go so far as to say that a 4 function decoder is needed. I fitted a Hornby 4 function 8-pin with adaptor (all I had lying around) but all I can get is one corner light at whichever is the leading end using F0. F1 and F2 do nothing. The decoder has previously been used in a Bachmann 37 with cab lights on F1 so I know it does work.

Anyone have any suggestions or at least some advice on which lights should be coming on?

Cheers

On my 76014, which had the Loksound V4 pre-installed, all the lights in each corner work. The centre ones and the ones between the cab windows are dummies. I've remapped them so that I can switch each one individually.

With a 4 function decoder you should be able to replicate that, but you will need the 21 Pin MTC version as the 8 pin socket doesn't have space for the purple wired 4th output.

What a fascinating set of pictures. I did think on seeing the original projections that the front of the locos looked a bit tall for their width - an extremely subjective impression I must add! Bear in mind as well the different liveries, particularly the SYP vs one colour also has an impact. But these shots really do raise some questions, hopefully some kind soul who has already parted with the £165 will get their tape measures out.

On the issue of roof colour, my subjective memory of what is now a long time ago was of a pale cream, if anything with a beige tinge rather than striking yellow, and the shot above of 26049 looks pretty good to my eyes, and a light dusting of a pale grey with an airbrush would give a "Not long into service look".

I'm biased, having more EM2s than BR ever did, but I agree with you about the Triang EM2. It has the correct tapering of the cab so the cab front is not as wide as on an EM1/76. It is quite subtle but is clearly there if you look at the EM2 from above. It is noticeable in the above photo where you can clearly see the EM2 body sides as being wider than the cab front. I cannot remember when I saw the preliminary EM2s in Olivias whether their Heljan 77 had picked that up..

The Tri-ang pantographs are much better than the Olivias ones. Even the Trix EM1 pans are better IMHO. Both the Tri-ang and Trix ones work, in every respect, even if their collectors are somewhat unprototypical. I have already ordered some replacement Sommerfeldt pans for my 76.

I have already ordered some replacement Sommerfeldt pans for my 76.

Biggest complaint (apart from the bits that keep falling off, a buffer beam here, guards irons there) has to be the pantograph.

Which Sommerfeldt pan should I order and how easy will they be to fit?

Can't wait to start weathering the BR blue model, then it should really start to come alive.

Cheers

Paul

.....Which Sommerfeldt pan should I order and how easy will they be to fit?......

I've ordered the 941s as the closest in terms of look and dimensions. I think they may be the ones that No Nonense Kits used to supply with their 76 Kit.

The 941s are not a "Pull out the old and push in the new" type replacement. There isn't a pan in the Sommerfeldt range that would let you do that, at least not in my catalogue. I chose them because the frame is almost the same width as the base on the Heljan pan and they look more realistic.

The plan is to remove the Heljan pan arms but keep the existing base and work out a way to fix the new base to the old one. It will be fiddly to say the least, and may mean replacing the hinge pins at the base of the Sommerfeldt one with new pins.

No, I haven't as yet. But I will ask about them when I'm next at a show. The kay issue is the alignment with the mounting points o nteh roof of the EM1/76. If I think they are any better and the dimensions work then I'll get use those. But it does depend on the alignment of the fixing holes.

You know if i had some spare, I'd be tempted to use the Tri-ang ones. They are the right width across the loco, but very slightly too long. Strange how Tri-ang could make a pantograph that looked good and worked 50 years ago, but Heljan cannot do the same thing today.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The model I saw was of it in the light blue, complete with the lining (IIRC), but the model I have is in the later and darker early version, i.e. the faintly mythical Chromatic Blue, complete with a light grey roof.

They never had a grey roof!

They look like they're for fixing the 'headcode' disks, they do appear on the flickr photo, but not so obvious.

The real Class 76s do not have holes either side of the lights, the fixing/location holes for the tail/headcode discs are in the angle /footplate strip above the bufferbeam.

Archived