East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi - really like how this is looking now.

Can I suggest some form of cattle grid arrangement around the rails by the level crossing? They are quite obvious in a lot of photos of these ungated crossings, seem to be triangular or upright sections of wood arranged parallel to the rails, filling the gap between fences, rails & in the "4-foot" too. Couple of photos in this collection

Hi Rich,

These are on the list of things to do, but not got there yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Really fantastic progress aided by some nice photography too. I like the 'half relief' trees.

Can I ask how you produce the ground covering in the siding area? - it really looks great (sort of textured paint - but better) and I'd like to try to replicate something like this on my siding.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

The ground cover is a very fine ash that I was given a long time ago and now down half a jar! You could try sieved ash from a wood burner.

Looking gorgeous Richard, especially the area around the level-crossing. There can't be much more left to do is there?

I will watch out for that, never had much success with trees myself.

Is the layout booked for any shows yet?

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Still a few more things to do (including the trees) and hoping to get some scenic work done before the weekend.

No shows booked at the moment, but you never know where East Yarde may turn up!

Richard,

Can I make an observation on the two buffer stops ?

I think you've left in some addition plastic used by Peco to help anchor the stops on the track, but which is not a part of a real item.

post-7025-0-23706900-1332164929.jpg

These are taken at Truro Stn, and are as similar to the Peco one as I can find (other than having extended rails alongside the running rail).

post-7025-0-90018700-1332164960_thumb.jpg

Other than that, fantastic as always.

Stu

Hi Stu,

I take your point, but I'm happy to leave the buffer stop as is. I only used the Peco one because it was readily available. I'm looking at alternatives for future projects.

• Like 1

Blue Point

Can you still get those?

I trawled the net looking and could only find a supplier in the US.

Any chance of letting me know where I can get them?

Cheers!

Frank

This is one UK retailer that lists them

http://www.modeljunc...php?cPath=37_68

I got mine here, but only the controls are listed at the moment

https://clarahost.cl...?categoryId=151

Edited by uglykidjoe

• RMweb Premium

Can you still get those? I trawled the net looking and could only find a supplier in the US.

Any chance of letting me know where I can get them?

Cheers! Frank

Hi Frank,

Paul Martin at EDM Models stocks the Blue Point turnout switch, illustrated on their website here: http://www.ngtrains..../track.htm#Blue

For anybody not familiar with the Blue Point, it works like a Tortoise Point Motor, (under baseboard mounting, adjustable throw, auxiliary switching) but its considerably smaller and not motorised. You need to apply a linear push-pull motion to drive it.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

All the grass work is now finished, along with a few other foliage. Just need to get the trees finished.

post-7854-0-41475200-1332707283_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-06420500-1332707288.jpg

post-7854-0-55317000-1332707291.jpg

post-7854-0-97618300-1332707298.jpg

post-7854-0-90505500-1332707294.jpg

Although the class 37's were too heavy for the Torrington line, oen of my 37's is seen passing through East Yarde.

• Like 12

All the grass work is now finished, along with a few other foliage. Just need to get the trees finished.

Richard

This layout just gets better and better. Wonderful detail and texture. Love the low level shots of 25057 and 37251. Superb!

Stephen

HI Richard

This has come together very well! , do you plan to put the cattle grid in around the level crossing?.

Well done on a fine bit of modeling .

Darren

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

How do you get the grass so long ? I'm guessing it's static, but which tool and which variety of grass are you using ?

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

I've used 4.5mm fibres, starting with a single coating of spring green (I think) all over where I want the grass. Then when almost dry, flick slightly watered PVA using an old toothbrush onto the tops of the fibres where I want the longer grass. I then add later summer fibres and apply over the glue. Additional layers can then be added, but using the late summer fibres only until the desired heights are achieved. Also, between each stage I use the nozzle from a vacuum cleaner, about 50mm above to pull up the fibres and suck away the loose fibres. Also, but moving the nozzle in one direction or circles, a light effect of wind blown grass can be achieved.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely and simple, I wish I could adopt that philosihpy with my layouts, LESS IS MORE, brilliant mate, all the best Andy.

Richard

This layout just gets better and better. Wonderful detail and texture. Love the low level shots of 25057 and 37251. Superb!

Stephen

Great work - loving that 3rd pic of the 25 passing thru'....

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, Andy, sometimes less is more! I like to see the trains running through scenery than filling the board with track!

HI Richard

This has come together very well! , do you plan to put the cattle grid in around the level crossing?.

Well done on a fine bit of modeling .

Darren

Hi Darren,

Yes, I do need to add the cattle grid at the level crossing - maybe something that can be done at the weekend!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No further progress on East Yarde itself, but I've been doing a little more weathering to some locos and just passing through East Yarde.

post-7854-0-06571100-1333213599.jpg

The 08 is puling a wagon loaded with concrete huts. I will post some more photos and details on my Burrington Arms thread.

post-7854-0-47456200-1333213602.jpg

I know that the 50 is far to large and heavy, but looks good coming through East Yarde.

post-7854-0-80276800-1333213605.jpg

Heljan 33 shunting the siding.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

Great photos again.

Just one minor point - I saw your comments to Stu about the Peco buffer stop but I noticed on the pic with the 33 the front looks to have lifted a little and needs a bit of superglue (am only wary as I assembled and fixed 7 of those on my sons layout yesterday!)

Who cares if the 50 is too large and heavy - we love it!

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

Great photos again.

Just one minor point - I saw your comments to Stu about the Peco buffer stop but I noticed on the pic with the 33 the front looks to have lifted a little and needs a bit of superglue (am only wary as I assembled and fixed 7 of those on my sons layout yesterday!)

Who cares if the 50 is too large and heavy - we love it!

Hi Pete,

It's actually a problem with using Peco buffer stop with code 75 rail and doesn't sit down correctly. The more I think about and taking on board Stu's comments, I may well invest in a new buffer stop - or may even scratchbuilt one ....

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent Richard, the grass has come out really well, very effective.

Thanks Rob.

I'm very pleased with the grass and general scenary. Not much to do on that side now though.

Hi

Layout looking great Locos blending in with the scenery.50 looks good your layout run wot you want.

steve

Hi Steve,

I do like the Hoovers! Yeah, I'm sure that this one can trundle through a few times!

I know that the 50 is far to large and heavy, but looks good coming through East Yarde.

Mmmm, class 50!

Richard - looks very nice creeping through the undergrowth. Takes me back to when I saw Warspite on china clay wagons many years ago. Excellent modelling. :-)

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Mmmm, class 50!

Richard - looks very nice creeping through the undergrowth. Takes me back to when I saw Warspite on china clay wagons many years ago. Excellent modelling. :-)

Stephen

The 50 does look, even if I say so myself!

Superb MM, cracking work. Loving the Hoover!

Thanks - looks like I will need to take a few more photos of the hoover on East Yarde!

Hi Richard ............ Cracking layout mate !!

I just love the level of detail you have got into such a small scene ......... I only hope I can do something similar with my first layout.

Inspiration indeed !!

Simon. :)

Thanks Simon - I'm glad to see that you have been inspired!