Nuclear Flask transfer sites

jhock

Does any one know where one of these is so I can use Bing or google to have look? Or this kind of thing going to land me in hot water with the 'man' if search google to much looking fot it!

Very tempted for my next layout to based on one now the Bachmann wagons are on their way.

Does any one know where one of these is so I can use Bing or google to have look? Or this kind of thing going to land me in hot water with the 'man' if search google to much looking fot it!

Very tempted for my next layout to based on one now the Bachmann wagons are on their way.

Try Dungeness(http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=50.93443,0.953493&spn=0.001406,0.003428&t=h&z=18&lci=com.panoramio.all )

The terminal is that yellow gantry, which looks as though it's stuck in the middle of a desert. When it's not in use, you can drive within yards of it.

• RMweb Premium

There is the one at Southminster, Essex as well. This was taken with the sun low in the sky giving excellent shadows of the security fencing and gates surrounding the compound and the crane. The crane is very similar to the loco shed one produced by Ratio except that it is wider than the single track one made by Ratio. If you click on the camera nearest to the station building and swing the view to the south you can see the gates and a fair bit of the crane.

• RMweb Premium

I presume from what I can see on the internet that the sites are used to transfer the flasks to trucks, presumably to complete the last part of the journey?

You would also expect traffic in the other direction with spent fuel.

• RMweb Gold

without revealing too much (as i have signed the official secrets act to be able to work flask trains) the yards generally have a fixed crane so both the flask road wagon and train have to be precisely lined up to be able to transfer between them, when i say precise its got to be within an inch of a fixed point, there is a knack to doing it and i only ever got it first time a couple of times!!

ratio do a fixed crane that would be suitable for a model, its bigger than the loco lift kit and spans the track and roadway.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.cowgill.fotopic.net/p65084956.html

http://www.cowgill.fotopic.net/p65084957.html

This is the terminal at Sizewell, immediately by the level crossing on the Leiston to Sizewell road. Generally there are no problems with taking photos of the location from a public place when there is a train on site, the police are used to the interest, however they do pay attention every so often. I wasn't bothered on this occasion at the terminal but the police decided I was the ideal candidate for a 'stop and identify' (no search carried out, just had to confirm who I was and details of my car taken) for this photo a couple of level crossings towards Saxmundham at Knodishall on the same afternoon. http://www.cowgill.fotopic.net/p65084959.html

Martin

• RMweb Premium

You would also expect traffic in the other direction with spent fuel.

The flasks are for the spent fuel which is irradiated - they run empty from Sellafield to the transfer point and onto the power stations. The spent fuel doesn't take up much of the loaded weight - it's mostly in the flask.

AFAIIA, the fuel rods are delivered by road. In it's normal state, (U-235?) the Uranium fuel rods can actually be handled - the biggest risk is heavy metal poisoning from dust/skin ingress.

I've done the tour around BNFL Springfield works near Preston many years ago - we were taken into a room where Uranium blocks were openly sitting on racking before being processed (machined) into fitting into the casings. Pre-processed Uranium Oxide - "yellowcake" was delivered to Springfield in 45 gallon sized drums.......

Cheers,

Mick

........... Generally there are no problems with taking photos of the location from a public place when there is a train on site, the police are used to the interest, however they do pay attention every so often. I wasn't bothered on this occasion at the terminal but the police decided I was the ideal candidate for a 'stop and identify' (no search carried out, just had to confirm who I was and details of my car taken) ...............

Amazingly enough there are plenty of coppers who, after a couple of sentences of 'small talk' can tell the difference between a 'bod' and a potential "AQ" terrorist.

Unfortunately 'Joe Public' doesn't realise that a number of forces are party to 'stop and account' whereby officers who challenge a member of the public and seek an explanation of why the person is in a certain place, at a certain time, are required to record each and every account - and for which that member of the public may be able to obtain a written copy.

Amazingly enough, there is no requirement on 'Joe Public' to provide his/her name, and the forms allow for a 'brief physical description' of the person stopped.

However, it should be borne in mind that a refusal to identify oneself may heighten the officers suspicions (or may prove to be a challenge to his/her authority) and may lead to more 'formal' action.

Police officers, like everyone else, are nowadays burdened with KPI's (key peformance indicators) with some forces judging an officers' "proactivity" by the number of 'stop checks' they perform.

A copy of 'Freightmaster' can be invaluable here, after all, if 'Joe Public' can buy, off the shelf, a book that gives the times, days and routes of trains carrying spent fuel - that sort of negates any 'secrecy'.

Most officers are fearful of being bored to tears by a 'bod' and give up after a short while !

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

There's one next to the A5 main road at Valley on Anglesey. I have never stopped to take photos though because I don't want a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

The transfer site at Valley is easily spotted from the road (and hence on Google Street View).

I'd guess that if a transfer was taking place at the time you paid it a visit, a quick chat with any police officers on site would give a quite yes/no as to wether or not they're happy for you to take some photos whilst the flask(s) is/are loaded.

Another option is to get in touch with BNFL and see if they have any publicity type brochures that have some inspirational pictures.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

I have been planning a model of the Bridgwater and wanted to take some photos. I thought that getting permission was the best way ahead so got in touch with the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) who said it was not their responsibility and to contact DRS.

DRS are happy for people to take photos etc as long as they know when you will be there and why you are doing it. You must not enter the site

Contact details here http://www.directrailservices.com/

Easer to get permission than to spend your valuable time explaining to the law what you are doing

I am not sure that this applies to all sites as I only enquired about Bridgwater ;)

I've had building a flask transporter on my "to do" list for a while, after some googling i found some useful links

Magnox north image library

another magnox image library

There's some nice pics of transhipment sites and shots of the transporters, i've also got an old truck magazine with an article from when the 5axle transportes where introduced

and this pic from the chapelcross group clicky for ruston and flaskis just crying out for a micro layout!

Dave

Thanks guys, I have found a few pictures of the trucks being used, if they are of help to any one.

Looks like a good conversion from a Oxford Diecast lowloader would be possible, but the cab is Daf CF and Oxford don't make one at the current time, they do Daf 105XF, so you could always upgrade BNFL's fleet for them!

Flask truck on BBC news

Open Truck

Truck being loaded Click on the picture to enlarge it.

*Removed the images just in case they where subject to CW.

I started hacking one of the Oxford stepframes around with the same intention, but after finding out the prototype is a 2.5m wide trailer and the model is a 2.75m wide version, i'd come to the conclusion it may be easier to just rob the wheels of the oxford and scratchbuild the rest. for the remainder fo the basic dims i'd just got a drawing of one of our 5axle stepframes from work as the axles etc are all in same postion

Road transport images did do the Daf 95 version but i think they have dropped from the range. i'd be tempted to take the super space cab roof of the oxford tractor and build a flat roof out of plasticard, unless mr oxford has a Daf85 lurking as part of the firengine range

Admittedly when we've moved flasks, we used a selection of trailers but the flasks we shifted were a bit bigger!

Dave

Those links in Jhock's last post all show the same (type of) truck, just one has the hood slid back

All the pics I have seen of recent stuff shows these 5 wheel trailers with the hoods similar to those on an FNA, but bigger

cheers

jo

Guest stuartp

With due apologies for hijacking jhock's thread, does anyone know what tractor and trailers were used in the 60s when the original Flatrol MJs were in use ? I suspect even Mervyn's Foden* is a bit modern for that.

(*Knightwing ex-Keilkraft Foden tipper should be a starting point if anyone fancies a bash at that. Can also be used to create the TCHD2 Polaris/Trident warhead transporters with a bit of imagination and carving).

• RMweb Gold

With due apologies for hijacking jhock's thread, does anyone know what tractor and trailers were used in the 60s when the original Flatrol MJs were in use ? I suspect even Mervyn's Foden* is a bit modern for that.

(*Knightwing ex-Keilkraft Foden tipper should be a starting point if anyone fancies a bash at that. Can also be used to create the TCHD2 Polaris/Trident warhead transporters with a bit of imagination and carving).

Presumably depends on the haulier? At Bridgwater I believe it was BRS in the late '70s (well that was who some of the lifting tackle belonged to so they had definitely been involved at some time).

Guest stuartp

Presumably depends on the haulier? At Bridgwater I believe it was BRS in the late '70s (well that was who some of the lifting tackle belonged to so they had definitely been involved at some time).

Thanks, I had assumed it was an in-house job, so even that snippet is useful. Specifically then, Fairlie (I think) for Hunterston if anyone knows please.

Archived