Unidentified locations can you help

Blandford1969

• RMweb Premium

The "Great Northern somewhere in Notts" photo is almost certainly Stathern Junction, south of Bingham where the direct Newark-Melton Mowbray line met the cut off line from Nottingham avoiding Bingham (Great Northern & L&NW Joint line) The train is coming from the Nottingham direction and heading south towards Melton Mowbray. This junction was closed in 1962.

Many thanks, I was in sort of the right area.

Still more in the north east to solve - and lots more unidentifed locations to follow.

Regards

Duncan

Thanks Porcy and PH for the identifications, could some of the other NE negatives which are all the same size and taken by Eric Hockling in about 1954 (from the information i have) also be on either of those branches.

I was going to ask who the photographer was. Glad he took these images. They are superb and some are quite historic. I think a mate and I may have some of his negs in our collections as they are very similar and mid 1950's seem to be around the timescale.

The information on the German spy was also interesting. I take it he gave up easily

From what my dad told me. G'dad had a pistol. The Gorman(s), didn't! There was also a linked story about a landing craft that was in Banff harbour ramming the "delivering" U boat but I've never researched the authenticity of that story.

A few more locations for you.

Could this be Stanhope branch?

Yes. Broadwood railway Bridge, Frosterly. Entrance to Broadwood Quarry behind trees on right. That looks like West Aucklands J39 Shunting the sidings. That would make it 64982 in about 1954.

Untitled-17

Fighting Cocks (Stockton & Darlington Rly.) Waiting room. Fighting Cocks station, Middleton St George. Thats the first pic I've seen of that building when it isn't almost buried in undergrowth.

Untitled-19

Butterknowle again.

Untitled-20

I've been looking for a Phot of this exact location for years. I'll keep you in suspenders for a bit longer if you don't mind (Unless someone else gets it) as I've challenged a mate to come up with the location. (Come on Axlebox. Peoples waiting. I've even E mailed you a map of the location! :mocking_mini: )

Untitled-28

Between Norton West and South Junctions. The white building and Chapel was the old Norton-on-Tees Station.

HTH (More to Come)

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

I was going to ask who the photographer was. Glad he took these images. They are superb and some are quite historic. I think a mate and I may have some of his negs in our collections as they are very similar and mid 1950's seem to be around the timescale.

Porcy

He appears to have been active in the North East - I have 20 or so taken on a trip from Newcastle to Hawick via the Border Counties and about 60 or so on the Stainmore route. What areas do the ones you have cover?

There are still some more unidentified locations from Eric

I have updated the images with your information. Now are there any North Staffs or Midland experts who may recognise the juction or station with the 78xxx on brake vans.

Once again thanks to everyone for looking and making suggestions

Kind regards

Duncan

A few more:

Untitled-18. Stockton South Goods. The Arch led through to the yard behind "The worlds oldest railway Ticket office".

EDIT. See 1977 View

Untitled-30. Stockton South Goods.

Untitled-16. Croft Depot, Hurworth on Tees.

Untitled-20. Hamilton Row (Ivesley Cottages) Deerness Valley branch. About 4 Miles West of Durham.

I'll do a fuller replay later. Bit pushed for time at the mo.

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks ever so much for the additional locations, what was it about Hamilton Row that was so elusive for you, did you grow up near there?

Those outstanding to be solved are:

2,5,12,13,14, 29

25 could be on the Southern Region as there is a rail built signal in a standard SR style

There is an L&Y station - from the architecture, with a goods shed in the background with a slighly overhanging signal box

There is one, which I think is a Midland Region junction by the look of the signals

Finally is one on the North Staffs with a 78xxx on a brake van special running into a station where the second platform road has been lifted and intregingly there appears to be another station building in the background with no track to it.

Any more ideas really gratefully recieved.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the suggestion on this one My linkwhich has now been identified as Kidsgtove London Road.

This one My link has been confirmed as not Clapham junction. The signals are interesting as they suggest loops not far away on both diverging lines, yet it is in the countryside?

• RMweb Gold

25 could be on the Southern Region as there is a rail built signal in a standard SR style

Concur on your thinking. The bargeboards on the shelter are slightly SER in style - but all the SER shelters in Wikeley & Middleton are of the sloping-flat roof style in your original item. The Hastings line comes to mind, having regard to the angle of the sun, but I lack sufficient info to pursue it, and Google Images isn't v helpful. Also, many Hastings line stations had the SER tradition of staggered platforms, with a foot-crossing for all and sundry, yet this has a footbridge, without third-rail as a driver for its provision.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd throw Welham Jct as being a possibility for the Midland Jct pic. I'd need to check the plan, but there may have been a facing access into Welham yd which would match the signals and the topography and bridge locations match.

• RMweb Premium

I'd throw Welham Jct as being a possibility for the Midland Jct pic. I'd need to check the plan, but there may have been a facing access into Welham yd which would match the signals and the topography and bridge locations match.

Thanks for this id say by this photo http://www.meltonmowbray.steamrailways.com/Welham_junction_10aj.jpg taken a little way back from mine prooves it.

I will scan some more when i get home at the end of the week for you to all have a go at. there are still three more left to go, but they are looking harder to identify. Maybe we will come back to them in the future. For now thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

After several months off digging up Mangotsfield and working on drawings of various S&D related locations I have finaly got round to scanning another batch of the unidentified locations.

Unidentified locations 2

There is a mix of M&GNR, GW (South Wales), GNR - possibly round Luton?, Midland, NW (possibly in the West Midlands), maybe the Border Counties and some NE stations. As ever i have no records on when or where they were taken. Before uploading I have tried blowing up nameboards on the signal boxes, however they are un readable.

As ever I really appreciate your help in identifying these locations.

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Duncan,

"an ex L&Y branch" is Meltham near Huddersfield and the first 'no ideas' (the one with the station) is Batley.

Thanks for Batley and Meltham definatley agree. I have also rotated the MR box.

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

The one in the Birmingham area is Galton Junction SB, looking north. The canal is to the right, the first bridge is Telford's road bridge and the second is the one which now carries Smethwick Galton Bridge high level platforms.

Thanks that makes total sense now.

Kind regards

Duncan

Archived