YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

Watch the brake gear on that chassis, Tom; on the J71 one I did the pull rods were wrongly etched and you can't fit them and keep the shoes clear of the wheels.  I thought it was me for a while.

Arthur's J73 was a joy and I imagine his J77 will be as good.  Which cab does it have?

Well, I didn't like having to re-solder the last con rod, but it was my own fault for getting complacent with it being the last one......and soldering it back to front.

Was easy to sort out though wasn't it! :yes:

The key thing is that you were modelling!

Stuff does go wrong (and if anyone on here says things never go wrong for them, they're lying!), but the key is swearing/cursing then sorting it out and continuing! I'm pretty sure I've put coupling rod laminations on back to front - and as you saw, it wasn't that major a task to sort it. And actually, when things don't quite go to plan you can learn even more than when they go perfectly!

Each step of completing your first loco adds to your confidence and means you're more comfortable as you tackle the next stage or future projects. In just one day you've got a chassis from basic frames to being ready for pick ups!

You should be really pleased with what you did yesterday :) 

Watch the brake gear on that chassis, Tom; on the J71 one I did the pull rods were wrongly etched and you can't fit them and keep the shoes clear of the wheels.  I thought it was me for a while.

Don't worry, I'll look after him :)

• RMweb Premium

The key thing is that you were modelling!

Stuff does go wrong (and if anyone on here says things never go wrong for them, they're lying!), but the key is swearing/cursing then sorting it out and continuing!

Hi James,

I never have anything go wrong, just a lot of practice runs. :)  I am good at the swearing  and cursing bit of modelling. :shout:  The louder the better. I also have quite a lot of stuff that has been put to one side for sorting out. :dontknow:

Hi Tom

Just enjoy model making. Even if it involves lots of practice runs.

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Tom. TW once said to me "........ keep the first loco you build and then, some years later, place it next to your completed and painted Pacific and see how you have progressed......." ; fine advice.

However, you are making a grand job of this little tank so your Pacific is going to have to be one hell of a super job isn't it mate..... :D

Quack. :blackeye:

P.S Oi, Wealleans, where's the lamps and metal thieves have been at work on the front loco? :nono:

And as for you, Mr. Ladyboy, that's taken in the Works yard, so no need for lamps or buffers.

I'm sure Phil has been called many things.....but Mr Ladyboy!!! :O :mosking:

"He has made good progress and shows promise".  That's the sort of thing teachers say, isn't it?

Chris

Haha, yes Chris. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we shall have the J72 pottering up and down. As I mentioned last night, I really was surprised at how simple laminating the con rods was. I defintley recommend James's suggestion of using a wooden clothes peg to hold the two together rather than using ones fingers while soldering. That did make me turn pale when watching Mr Wright on Right Track 1! :O

Quick update, I've now filed down the rodding from cranks so it's now flush with the crackpins.

post-6764-0-49769700-1359572186_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-59569600-1359572195_thumb.jpg

Ready to commence work on the J72 body removing the Bachmann handrails and knobs tonight.

The two locos by the end of the day -

post-125-0-40073700-1359582586_thumb.jpg

Tom's looking a little more complete but I managed to erect the frame, sort the rods out (the first one to show Tom before he did his - told him there was nothing to worry about!), make four High Level hornguides and add them to the frames :)

The body on mine has already had some work done; removing material around the tank fronts, the bunker shortened, handrails removed as the stanchions are in the wrong positions for an early loco and all sorts round the cab!

Nice seeing them together James. Mine just needs propping up with plasticard now seen as it currently looks like its suspension has collapsed!  :mosking:

Arthur's J73 was a joy and I imagine his J77 will be as good.  Which cab does it have?

It's one with the BTP engine cabs. Arthur kindly supplied the body (one of the test builds) already done so doesn't require any forming.

Great work on the J72s James. Will one be the York pilot? Lovely little locos.

Thanks Mike

It most likely will be pottering about the yards and carriage sidings. It will be joined by a J71 and J77 at some point to. York's loco pilot will be a Y8. I believe Dave Alexander will be bringing out a kit of one as currently the only one around is the old Ks kit.

I wonder if Ian would allow this little J72 to do some shunting on Haymarket Cross at some point. ;)

I wonder if Ian would allow this little J72 to do some shunting on Haymarket Cross at some point. ;)

I think you can count on it if you 'just happen to have it with you' next time you bash HX shed! lol

Work has carried on this evening on the J72 body. I need to contact Mainly Trains as I've lost the boiler underside, although as James says, next time I'm over some brass and rolling bars should do the job. 

Last night I removed the oversized Bachmann hand rail knobs and filled them with squadrons white putty. Tonight I filed the excess off and drilled new holes. Finally adding the knobs and threading the hand rail. I've only soldered the hand rails on the smokebox so to keep the curved shape.

Quite pleased for a first go. :)

post-6764-0-63083600-1359670936_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-61234900-1359670953_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-23820800-1359670977_thumb.jpg

Again, nice work Tom. This is one of my favourite parts of the hobby, 'improving' rtr. Although it's increasingly not required with the latest releases. The J72 is ripe for the attention that you and James are giving it. Will you stay with the black livery or take the plunge and give it the fully lined out LNER green?

Afternoon all on what has been a very cold, but beautiful day.

First call of the day was a brief meet up with my modelling friend Simon at Ferrybridge Services to collect some items of mine he had picked up recently from Tim. Due to his continuing work on Peterborough North and his own modelling commitments, Tim no longer has any association with Leaman Road, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his help in the early stages of Leaman Road's development.

I have now finished the O1 and it seemed only right to photograph her beside the line that 63755 actually worked on in 1950. As a Hull Dairycoates (53A) locomotive she would have been seen working back and forth from Hull, so having the Hull-Selby line in the background seems very appropriate. I used a photo taken in August 1950 of 63755 as the basis for the weathering job and I'm pleased with the results. It can be found on page 218 of Yeadon Register 24B.

post-6764-0-43657500-1359821723_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-50684700-1359821731_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-99626200-1359821738_thumb.jpg

I'm very pleased how the new smokebox door has worked out. This was my first attempt at any type of hacking towards a RTR loco, so I'm very pleased how it has come out.

post-6764-0-28024200-1359821745_thumb.jpg

Remember the Mike Edge B16, here she is ready to be taken home and given a coat of filth in the coming weeks.

post-6764-0-83514600-1359821751_thumb.jpg

Now back home I decided to set her up on Leaman Road. Having worked in with a Hull-Dringhouses Class H (Via Gascoigne Wood) we see 63755 on 50A.

post-6764-0-53737900-1359821697_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-10768500-1359821705_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-00495000-1359821712_thumb.jpg

Thank you David and Simon. :)

I took my time with this one, must have been a 3 hour job. Worth it though as I think got the right effect. I got a rollicking though for stinking the house out with white spirit!

Archived