YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! :)

Hi Mike and Tony,

The thing I'm discovering is that not all the LNER period RTR sells as well as the BR (I suppose that is obvious when you think about it.)

For example, the Gresley A1s are numerous with York having 4 or it's books in 1938. The suitable donor is 4475 'Flying Fox' which Hornby released some time ago. I won one on ebay yesterday for £57......can't be bad.

As I promised, some more photos.

2548 'GALTEE MORE' of Grantham is being oiled up ready for her return journey South.

attachicon.gif_MG_6572.jpg

2548 is seen again, alongside Gateshead's 2571 'SUNSTAR'

attachicon.gif_MG_6724.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6721.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! :)

Hi Mike and Tony,

The thing I'm discovering is that not all the LNER period RTR sells as well as the BR (I suppose that is obvious when you think about it.)

For example, the Gresley A1s are numerous with York having 4 or it's books in 1938. The suitable donor is 4475 'Flying Fox' which Hornby released some time ago. I won one on ebay yesterday for £57......can't be bad.

As I promised, some more photos.

2548 'GALTEE MORE' of Grantham is being oiled up ready for her return journey South.

attachicon.gif_MG_6572.jpg

2548 is seen again, alongside Gateshead's 2571 'SUNSTAR'

attachicon.gif_MG_6724.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6721.jpg

Hi Tom, unusually perhaps, I've given you the *craft/clvr* tick as recognition that you've achieved "clean" weathering as good as anyone. Off the top of me 'ead, I can't recall anyone who has managed that oily sheen so well. Arts are a Craft, remember.  :D

Tony.

What is fascinating about 1938 is the sheer difference in motive power, when compared to 1950.

York had GNR locos allocated, two C1s and a D2. Worsdell and Raven Atlantics in the shape of C6s and C7s. B15s, Q7s, N8s and the larger Gresley Pacifics.

Very interesting period, sadly all to change within two years.

It's fantastic to have your superb weathering back on RMweb - I could never keep up with separate blogs, and was disappointed when you left, and delighted to find a new post on here this evening.

Until I saw your work (and Tim's) I never realised what a difference weathering makes to a model, but yours is so well done the locos look real. Keep up the good work, and I hope the issues behind your poor spirits sort themselves out, or have already done so.

Alan

It's fantastic to have your superb weathering back on RMweb - I could never keep up with separate blogs, and was disappointed when you left, and delighted to find a new post on here this evening.

Until I saw your work (and Tim's) I never realised what a difference weathering makes to a model, but yours is so well done the locos look real. Keep up the good work, and I hope the issues behind your poor spirits sort themselves out, or have already done so.

Alan

Thanks Alan, most kind.

Plenty more weathering to come. I also have a J25 I need to start building.

I will be going to Expo Em North in September, as there is a kit I will be picking up from London Road Models! ;)

Thanks again for the warm welcome back gents.

• RMweb Premium

I think Mr Duck has summarised what I wanted to say last night!  The oily rag sheen, with the soot and cinders on top of the boiler combine to produce an appearance that is just.....real.  Stunning. Modelling of the highest calibre.

That's not 'weathering', that's  artistry of the highest order. In fact it appears to have been done with a genuine 'oily rag'.

Superb.

(Oh yes, good to have you back Tom).

Quack

Smashing weathering Tom.

Really effective and looking very prototypical.

Sean.

Cheers Phil and Sean, that means a lot, it really does.

I'm very pleased with how these two turned out, plus I'm doing an alteration to the 1938 stock, which I didn't do to the 1950.

As the photos below show, I've added a small amount of coal into each of the tenders, to show them low down, after a long days work.

post-19999-0-86129400-1376410589_thumb.jpg

I've then added coal to top of the Hornby Coal insert, so to depict a large coal load after passing under York Cenotaph.

post-19999-0-83808900-1376410579_thumb.jpg

It's certainly not an original idea, but just allows variety on the locomotives coming on and off shed. For the kit built locomotives I will do the same thing, but use a makeshift base from plasticard, as the basis for the loaded coal.

Plus, the next Flying Fox donor model arrived this morning. £57 was certainly a good buy on ebay. Just a case of deciding which member of the class she should be....possibly Night Hawk as a second York locomotive with Gladiateur.

Cheers

Good to see you back on board Tom and welcome to the joys of modelling an era even fewer people remember than the 1950's!

Andy

Morning Andy!

Absolutely, and I think this reflects in the price of RTR grouping stuff generally being picked up that bit cheaper. 

Superb modelling and great to have the thread back. I've followed your blog but this is so much easier to stay up to date with. The latest models are really outstanding.

Thanks Mullie, hope you are well mate. :)

My biggest help at the moment, in researching the period, is the book 'LNER Locomotives in Colour 1936-1948. Lots of photos of locos on shed at York, in 1937/1938

and in colour! I'm getting a soft spot for the North Eastern Atlantics.

It's amazing what is there in 1938...but had gone 12 years later in 1950.

Hi Tom,

Good to see you are back here. Looking forward to your 1938 period. The weathering and the coal load on the A1 looks good too.

I picked up an Hornby A1 Flying Fox renumbered and renamed 2562 Isinglass for A$60, about GBP35, so not bad at all. Also 10 Kirk LNER coach kits including a RTS for A$10 (Gbp5.70)each. I am working on a Comet Restaurant Triplet Set at the moment while its cold outside here in OZ. Search Comet Rest triplet set and it will come up as another fellow on your side of the world is building a BR version.

Mark in OZ

£35 for a Flying Fox model sounds like a damn good bargain Mark, well done!

Decided on the identity for my new A1, 2577 'Night Hawk', another York Pacific. Next update shall be when I'm on with her.

Thankfully I have more Brassmaster detailing etches, as I'm going to be needing another North British Read Rod. 

Both 2548 and 2571 will be having an outing at the end of the Month....somewhere they can both stretch their wheels! ;)

This months Railway magazine has a colour picture of a LNER A3 in sparkling Apple Green in use with the slightest touch of underframe dirt. I am now more than happy to leave mine in immaculate condition  !!

I was not happy with my 247 Development version of the Night Hawk plates I am awating a reply from him at the moment re the size of the font used as they do not match any of the other plates I have bought from him (just in case you order any from him). My version is on my workbench a couple of pages back.

This months Railway magazine has a colour picture of a LNER A3 in sparkling Apple Green in use with the slightest touch of underframe dirt. I am now more than happy to leave mine in immaculate condition  !!

I was not happy with my 247 Development version of the Night Hawk plates I am awating a reply from him at the moment re the size of the font used as they do not match any of the other plates I have bought from him (just in case you order any from him). My version is on my workbench a couple of pages back.

The A3 could easily have been ex works. I have used reference photos for all of my weathering so they did get grubby and they will have picked up underframe dirt in daily work. But I hold nothing against you not weathering, as long as you hold nothing against me weathering! ;)

I remember seeing your plates, it's for that reason I've ordered from Fox.

It will be interesting to see how the plates look.

Your model railway do as it suits you !!  :jester:  :mosking:  I know I do !! :senile:

Keep up the good work

Cheers Mick. I'm looking forward to when you start the C7. :)

I'm busy rehearsing for a concert over the next 3 nights, so decided to crack on with 2577. Cab side numbers removed, plus Doncaster plates removed from the smokebox (very easy with microsol and cocktail stick).

I removed the plastic Hornby reach rod with pliers, and added the Brassmasters North Britsh type and finally made up the hangar for holding the reach rod to the underside of the running plate.

post-19999-0-46813400-1376504592_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to renumber tonight. I did that with 2571 when I felt tired and ended up scrubbing them all of and starting again as they wasn't straight.  :no2:

Afternoon all.

I'm off out shortly for a rehearsal in Knaresborough, so this morning I decided to crack on with renumbering 4475 into 2577.

Pressfix transfers as usual applied and now sealed with Klear.

post-19999-0-69154900-1376573768_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-09797400-1376573761_thumb.jpg

Working Time Tables for the period you are modelling are not the easiest things to find for the 1950s (thankfully I acquired a WTT for September 1950 covering Passengers, Freight and the whole North East Network) but trying to find WTTs for 1938 was never going to be an easy task. This has been solved by contacting the Ken Hoole Study Centre at Darlington Railway Museum.

I had already been in touch regarding other WTT some months back. After checking their catalogue they have several WTT for the late 1930s including

'LONDON NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY, NORTH EASTERN AREA- 2nd May-3rd July 1938.

Exactly what I need and it includes Passenger and Freight, so I'm heading over next week to get photocopies. This will certainly help planning an operating sequence for this period.

Cheers

Here is how things are looking this afternoon.

post-19999-0-90495600-1376664234_thumb.jpg

Firstly I have painted the tyre on the wheel up to the white line black as it should be, Hornby don't and you end up with a white line, that then goes green before reaching the metal tyre. It should all be black from the white line and although it is a little tedious to do, it's worth it for the result.

Nameplates arrived this morning from Fox, the font appears better than the ones from 247 that Mick bought, but I hate the fret design as it's a pig to get the tabs off under the nameplate.

Works plate added underneath splasher and now ready for weathering which will be done over Sunday/Monday. I've been in discussions with Jonathan Wealleans over what condition she should be in, after showing him a photo of her in 1938 under interesting lighting at Newcastle Central.

Think I know the look I'm after now.

Tom A3's like that are simply wow!

I'm with you on that. A1/3s are my favourite loco bar none. Its fascinating how they became so involved in the Central in later days, including Flying Scotsman herself. Its easier to model GC in many ways, but I couldn't do without A1s, 2s and 4s - and the whole ECML romance. :)

Tony.

Thanks Gents.

I'm very pleased with the boiler sheen on those two locos. 2577 will be similar but probably cleaner.

Mick will be pleased! :jester:

I'm with you on that. A1/3s are my favourite loco bar none. Its fascinating how they became so involved in the Central in later days, including Flying Scotsman herself. Its easier to model GC in many ways, but I couldn't do without A1s, 2s and 4s - and the whole ECML romance. :)

Tony.

Hi Tony

I've been following your posts in the Peterborough North thread regarding the cleanliness of Tyneside locomotives.

Something I've been trying to work out, is when this reputation towards Gateshead locos began. After discussing with a few people we came to

the conclusion that this seems to stem from the post war period through into BR. 

Regarding pre war locos, it would seem that Gateshead locos were in far better external condition. I'm guessing of course there may have been exceptions,

but the Tyneside locos in numerous photos seem to have at least had a once over with an oily rag! :)

Cheers

EDIT

Edited  due to the fact that a single letter missing can alter the whole meaning of a word..... :mosking:

Archived