Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

have you herd about the yellow 313 emu??

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/7306/ERTMS-train-for-Hertford-National-Integration-Facility-takes-shape

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Gallery?SearchText=313&MediaFilter=7

And no - I'm not doing one (Until a suitable RTR or kit comes out of course!)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've built the basic rack for 97304 - the various attachments still need to be....... err....... attached.

A few more bits added to the rack and a quick test fit to the loco with blu-tac.

post-408-0-34356100-1360534769_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm enjoying your work but would like the red and blue of the 80's.

Thanks, but R&D red & blue is before my modelled time era, but the likes of Bob at Oversett and others are doing that sort of thing. Hopefully, the stuff I'm doing will inspire others to cut n shut n fill and not just simply repaint - regardless of the era.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update - but not yellow, apart from the ends.

37516 and 37706 taking a photocall before final assembly.

post-408-0-90761900-1361923829_thumb.jpg

These were a bit more than just repaints of Bachmann 37514 - more to follow.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Mick! I will look forward to seeing how you did the RSH grills on 37516 so I can copy your methodology!

Cheers,

Andi.

Rather than using styrene, I used this strips of paper for the extra strapping. Tip: Use a sharp (i.e. new) blade to cut the paper to create a clean edge.

They are superglued into place - cut overlength to start with

post-408-0-91013100-1362006767_thumb.jpg

Then they are cut down to fit

post-408-0-33182400-1362006794_thumb.jpg

Then glued into final place - the three ribs across the roof are done in the same way

post-408-0-86791500-1362006811_thumb.jpg

A coat of grey primer seals them in.

post-408-0-40296800-1362006826_thumb.jpg

37706 has a blanked out window and footsteps. It also has the three ribs across the roof.

post-408-0-57088800-1362006860_thumb.jpg

More detail mods to follow.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Other "reasonably obvious" details - 37516 has round buffers one end, oval elliptical at the other.

37706 has oval elliptical at one end, oval at the other.

Depending upon exactly when they are modelled, they could be carrying none, 2 or three ploughs.

37706 has cast bogies - I cut off the "lip" of the fabricated bogie and rounded the edge.

37706 has a double fuel tank - easily done by removing the step from one tank.

Both now have vertical handrails on the front corners - the original model 37514 doesn't. I only spotted these when starting to apply OLE warning transfers on the nose ends.

Both have nose mounted aerials - toothbrush bristles are perfect for these - certainly not an original idea by me!

Both have an extra high mounted central lamp bracket on the nose.

Pics later.

For those of you with yellow tendencies - don't worry, I'm planning that there'll be a big push on those in the next couple of weeks

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

37516 has already had an away day to Carl BR's Alderford at the recent Pretson Ex, but here's a quick (bad) phone shot of the WC twins having their first outing on Blackmill.

post-408-0-83927300-1362582628_thumb.jpg

Pretty much finished, although I still need to detail the buffer beams and sort out the couplings, but this depends on the train that I put together for them - probably going to be a miscellaneous rake of WCRC that's on a Ardwick depot visit to/from tyre turning (without the burning 47500 on the back.............).

In the meantime, they'll be put on the "almost finished" shelf (they will be made ready for York at Easter), whilst I get on with the yellow stuff - 9516 went under the knife last night.

I've also started initial research and design on a longer term project - single unit 98008, converted from a Bachy MPV. I need to have an hour or two with my friendly etch drawing friend of Liverpool Lime St roof  fame.

Cheers,

Mick

Edit - pic added

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For those of you with yellow tendencies - don't worry, I'm planning that there'll be a big push on those in the next couple of weeks

And indeed there has.

I now have 10 coaches virtually ready for painting. They all still need door handles as I've run out, but that won't prevent a visit to the paint shop.

As always, roof details can be hard to come by, but a couple of pics turned up on flickr recently to make it (almost) all clear.

977983 and 999550 and others in the same collection have proved most useful.

The other coach requiring some closeup shots is 9708. I have some of my own from late 2009, but I had seen more recent pics showing a different type of lighting (?) unit on the front - the originals are as shown here, However, Gridwatcher of this parish provided me with some recent pics and this is the result so far.

post-408-0-06280500-1363208478_thumb.jpg

9708 also has some unusual strips of metal on the vestibule end. Seen here

This is my take on it.

post-408-0-63407400-1363208773_thumb.jpg

And finally, thanks to Tim for sending me the hi-res version of this picture confirming the plating up of the brake compartment doors on 9516 - this side only - the other side still retains the doors. The middle passenger door is also plated - both sides - similar to 9523

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick, just a quick question. What do you use for replacement handles on the Mk 2 based stock? I've had a look through at all the great stuff on here but can't see an obvious answer!

If it's a T handle, I tend to use etched handles from 247 Developments (but I've just run out). If I'm feeling flush, I may use turned brass T handles!

For L shaped handles, I usually use 0.3mm wire, bent to shape and then flattened between a pair of smooth nosed pliers.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Mick.

I hear from our mutual friend more cannon fodder is due to arrive on your workbench.

I'll no doubt see the pics tonight, but they all look the same to me!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It could be worse, I could be looking at 70-odd diesels that look the same to me

You need educating beyond a world of "D" prefixes........ :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ta to Mr Meld for this pic - published with his permission.

9516 panelled doors - the footboard/step has been completely filled.

post-408-0-12681500-1363299654_thumb.jpg

As the new panel is pretty near flush with the existing bodywork, I have an idea to represent it using clear transfer paper with the outline of the door and spots to represent the bolt heads. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Just noticed the comments in post #319 regards the new lighting arrangements on 9708, uploaded a reasonably recent shot taken at Carlisle on the 29th Jan

http://www.asterias.co.uk/kaleidoscape/displayimage.php?pid=2690

KennyM
http://www.asterias.co.uk/kaleidoscape

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that understand binary and those that do not! ‹(•¿•)›

Edited by KennyM
  • Like 3

And what off the very basic repair with gaffer tape on the roof end above the cab windows?

Just what does gaffer tape scale out at 76 times smaller.

What a bodge on the prototype!

My 9714 is shaping.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher

• RMweb Premium

Archers?

Mike.

I had thought about Archers transfer rivets - that'll be plan B if my plan A doesn't work! It may be that a combo of transfer sheet for the panel and Archers transfers may be an even better solution.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1