Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Here are some cracking images which will prove very useful. Web links provided as all images are copyrighted...

Useful for the right side of the viaduct - embankment detail:

http://www.summiteer.co.uk/2012/Jul12/DentHawes/P1020123.jpg

Detail for proposed cutting at exit of right hand end of viaduct:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3166/3020789242_034d1a4e14_z.jpg?zz=1

Or how about this for detail under the arches:

http://www.aphotographerssettleandcarlisle.co.uk/latestimages_files/_DSC5364.jpg

This one has already been featured by Scott:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1057/1424609826_4a58d0199b_z.jpg?zz=1

Evocative detail on footpaths:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1427/1168733598_5295fd74a3_z.jpg?zz=1

http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazonaws.com/020/P20879.jpg

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1065/1424609456_6a8b5f5c1d_z.jpg?zz=1

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you can reproduce the scenery like those photos I would take up this lark professionally! Mind you it must be quite difficult to get into doing stuff day in day out, knowing that it pays for your food.

I'm looking forward to seeing the grass modelling, only so that I can pick stuff up for my diorama!

I hate early turns, I seem to miss out on all the chat!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You've been making good progress again today Jeff.  I was briefly confused by the first couple of photos - I thought you'd completely rebuilt the scenery again...

Question for the portable layout builders though - when using plaster bandage, how do you deal with baseboard joints? 

Confuddled Lunester (If that's not being repetitive ;) )

Although I'm hardly in the league of above, I think the way I would do it would be to have two moulded bits of ply either side of the join, bandage over both, and then slice down the two bits of wood. Would it work? I have no idea!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Talking of portable layouts, my mind (and pocket) has been straying from Bacup of late, and planning ahead for Jeff's open day and the layout I would like to build for it. As such, here is a shot of the plan so far (it needs work), the original shunter and a new purchase that once again, has no place on Bacup.

JeffsExhibition.jpg

The Vanguard - I did plan to finish this off today (well, all but paint it) but other things like work and greenhouses got in the way:

JE005.jpg

03008.jpg

(I wish I could see these two piccys, but stupid work terminal refuses to show them!)

Don't remind me about this, as I've got to get my finger out and sort out some more coaches, but sadly (for them not me) I seem to have the bug to sort out some locos and of course the diorama. Will anyone be taking a dcc match wagon or a dc layout?

Andy

Here are some cracking images which will prove very useful. Web links provided as all images are copyrighted...

Jeff

Jeff

Some stunning photographs there, think I need to get my camera out and head out into the wild, except that would mean a weekend away from the shed & I am in shed mode at the moment and it will be warmer  and drier in the spring.

The shed wins

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Some stunning photographs there, think I need to get my camera out and head out into the wild, except that would mean a weekend away from the shed & I am in shed mode at the moment and it will be warmer  and drier in the spring.

The shed wins

Yes, I'm heading into the bunker shortly. A little bit more hillside work, then I'll give it a rest for a while.

We have no excuses for lack of ideas when a 20 minute trawl on Google can produce such a treasure-trove of images!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just a point about "Jeff's Open Day". It isn't a certainty to happen this year and I'll only want to do this if I've got something up-and-running that's worth the journey.

Let's just leave it for the moment and see what happens. 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you can reproduce the scenery like those photos I would take up this lark professionally! Mind you it must be quite difficult to get into doing stuff day in day out, knowing that it pays for your food.

I'm looking forward to seeing the grass modelling, only so that I can pick stuff up for my diorama!

I hate early turns, I seem to miss out on all the chat!

Andy

I agree entirely, Andy.

To a lesser extent, it sometimes seems like that on here, too. We sometimes forget it's a hobby that's supposed to be fun. I think doing the same tasks, day by day for many years, could turn into a real grind.

I hope the track arrives today!

Jeff

Morning Jeff

Some great shots of the Viaducts and Valleys a few posts ago, if you can achieve that sort of look you can justifiably be proud of yourself. I agree with the earlier comments about the hills being treeless as I think the other features will stand out more and look much better than a sea of green, but of course you can't forget the odd weather beaten and distorted specimen that is occasionally seen.

As for working to Deep Purple, can't fault you on that one.

Hills starting to look great by the way.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I agree entirely, Andy.

To a lesser extent, it sometimes seems like that on here, too. We sometimes forget it's a hobby that's supposed to be fun. I think doing the same tasks, day by day for many years, could turn into a real grind.

I hope the track arrives today!

Jeff

I think you have just hit the reason why I have so many unfinished projects!

Today I have spent the time (inbetween cautioning trains for user worked crossing gates being open) starting the repair work on a secondhand HR Banking tank. The main task has been filling the hole in the underside of the boiler where the previous owner had hacked it out! Now waiting for the filler to set!

With a bit of luck the track will be waiting for me (or one of those cards might be too!)

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

Some great shots of the Viaducts and Valleys a few posts ago, if you can achieve that sort of look you can justifiably be proud of yourself. I agree with the earlier comments about the hills being treeless as I think the other features will stand out more and look much better than a sea of green, but of course you can't forget the odd weather beaten and distorted specimen that is occasionally seen.

As for working to Deep Purple, can't fault you on that one.

Hills starting to look great by the way.

Jim

That also leads to the subject of distorted perspectives. Do you model the stuff at the top of Lunefell to a smaller scale (maybe the scales getting progressively smaller as you get higher up?)? Distorting (as Andy P and his N gauge farm said) could make Lunefell look even bigger than it is. We've already started that with the valley BTW

Andy

(must make less use of the ! in future)

That also leads to the subject of distorted perspectives. Do you model the stuff at the top of Lunefell to a smaller scale (maybe the scales getting progressively smaller as you get higher up?)? Distorting (as Andy P and his N gauge farm said) could make Lunefell look even bigger than it is. We've already started that with the valley BTW

Andy

(must make less use of the ! in future)

In my opinion, Yes. But you do have to be careful about how it is viewed as if it can be seen from two directions one of them could look wrong, that is to say if it is rather than foreground & background it is seen more left to right at the same distance. In my case I can get away with this as I will be able to use trees as view blockers so that anything I model with perspective can only be seen from one direction.

Just one of those things you have to be careful with as it needs a lot of thought up front and maybe a few mock ups to get it right.

• RMweb Premium

In my opinion, Yes. But you do have to be careful about how it is viewed as if it can be seen from two directions one of them could look wrong, that is to say if it is rather than foreground & background it is seen more left to right at the same distance. In my case I can get away with this as I will be able to use trees as view blockers so that anything I model with perspective can only be seen from one direction.

Just one of those things you have to be careful with as it needs a lot of thought up front and maybe a few mock ups to get it right.

Yes Jim, totally agree. The problem I have with KL is that you can comfortably view the layout from 3 corners of the room (access points) and from inside the operating well and from behind the fiddle yard. So I'm afraid I can't really use the "perspective trick".

Just having a coffee break - having cleaned my hands of all the filler they were coated in. The main hillside outline shape is appearing. I'll put some pics up later.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have just got in and had a quick look, and I will have to call back later as there is a lot of catching up to do.

I have been busy for the last couple of days getting Part 2 on Trebudoc.

Catch you ALL again later, all the best

BUSY :O  :no:  :nono: Old Lune. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Enclosed - a couple of photos showing some hillside progress.

doing this has made me appreciate how BIG this hillside and valley job is going to be. The 2 sections I've worked on so far represent about a fifth of the whole thing!

post-13778-0-91695500-1359569281_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55066400-1359569297_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And how long does it take to get your hands clean afterwards??

Andy

(Still trackless)

I'm amazed by this track business. If I place an order from Kernow Model Rail Centre in Camborne, Cornwall (I do 90% of my business with them) at 4pm one afternoon, I can virtually guarantee it will be delivered by noon the next day, using standard £4 Royal Mail service. It cost more than that to send the stuff to you, and it was posted at a post office over 2 days ago!! Very, very annoying. You'd think you lived on the Moon (well, Bill (Mythocentric) claims he lives on the far side of the Moon - Morecambe!!).

Yes, a really messy job with the filler. But enjoyable. It's nice to see a hillside appear in front of your eyes as you apply the filler to the base structure.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, I have just caught up with the last couple of days postings and itis still a very interesting mix of hills, track and general comments but all really good stuff.

I think that the hillside is changing by the day and is coming on well, the formers are disapearing as you said it would.

Well done and keep it coming..

Old Lune.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy,

The formers are certainly disappearing - under a sea of plaster! Once the hills etc are built I'm going to have to take out a mortgage for all the flock and static grass I'm going to have to buy! Oops, better make sure I buy a static grass applicator too!

I'll do a bit more hillside tomorrow - by which time my fingers will have dropped off due to alkali attack - then give it a break and power up the soldering iron...

Jeff

ps. This is my 3000th post - I really need to get out more!!!  :O

CONGRATULATIONS   ONLY 3000 POSTS? :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

WELL i HAVE A LOT OF DRIVELL TO WRITE to catch up . :no:

I feel for your FINGERS as I will be doing some plastering of our hillside on our Club layout tomorrow night, I am not looking forward to it. :O 

Silly Hilly Lune :locomotive:  

Hills looking HUGE there Jeff.

It's surprising what difference that bandage makes when it is on and starts to block the openness between the formers. That is going to be one impressive feature when complete.

As for the cost of grass, well no-one said this hobby was cheap!! Iv'e found that out buying so much ruddy plastic, something out of cereal boxes next I think.

Well done on 3000 posts, makes my 200 and a bit look pretty meagre, mind you I have got into the top20 posters three times this week so I'm getting more prolific. 

• RMweb Premium

Hills looking HUGE there Jeff.

It's surprising what difference that bandage makes when it is on and starts to block the openness between the formers. That is going to be one impressive feature when complete.

As for the cost of grass, well no-one said this hobby was cheap!! Iv'e found that out buying so much ruddy plastic, something out of cereal boxes next I think.

Well done on 3000 posts, makes my 200 and a bit look pretty meagre, mind you I have got into the top20 posters three times this week so I'm getting more prolific. 

The Top 20 posters lists have been very funny over the last week or so. They've been populated by lots of Lunesters. Why?....

Well, it's not just because you lot are always on KL. We now have active layout threads from:

AndyP (Trebudoc) / Jim (Hemyock) / BillyB (Shedrington) / jukebox (Stockrington) / Jason (Bacup) / Mike (Dent) / Duncan (Oxted Park) / Polly (GWR) / Tender (avago) - hell, even Andy (uax6) has started one (in Dioramas).

Apologies if I've missed you out...

Even King Mike the Stationmaster pays us his daily visits to confer his "Likes", especially with rogues like Peter!

And Jim - when I've finished, I'm going to beam the bunker to the top of Scafell Pike and set up the Lakeland Hill modelling Centre there!! 

Jeff

Apologies to 

• Like 3