Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I think KL will be well served by recording of clanking wagons, groaning brakes, and squealing flanges, while Jeff re-sets the CVs for slow starting and stopping his sound-equipped DCC 3F when it is doing the thrice-weekly shunt. In the background the stationmaster is playing Bach fugues on his HMV phonogram, 78 rpm. Every now and then a distant whistle across the windswept fell will presage the passing of an express, roaring past on the short level before the harder part of the grade and the tunnel... after it passes and the signalman allows the 3F 'out', the stationmaster refills his pipe and wonders where his life went so wrong that he should end up at KL....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think KL will be well served by recording of clanking wagons, groaning brakes, and squealing flanges, while Jeff re-sets the CVs for slow starting and stopping his sound-equipped DCC 3F when it is doing the thrice-weekly shunt. In the background the stationmaster is playing Bach fugues on his HMV phonogram, 78 rpm. Every now and then a distant whistle across the windswept fell will presage the passing of an express, roaring past on the short level before the harder part of the grade and the tunnel... after it passes and the signalman allows the 3F 'out', the stationmaster refills his pipe and wonders where his life went so wrong that he should end up at KL....

There's a hidden artist in there, Rob!

You should take up writing railway-related prose or poetry. Maybe you're the next John Betjeman?

As for working at KL.... That'd be a promotion! The bliss of working near the fells... Squeals of 3F/4Fs shunting in the background. Hardly an express to be seen. filthy 8F, WD and 9Fs laden with 50 wagons apiece..... BLISS indeed.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another idea is background sound for the layout.  At Gildersome this weekend a military modeller had a small 1918 trench railway layout on show.  He had acquired a small amplifier that plugs into a portable CD player and the speaker isput onto the back scene which then acts as a sounding board.  As a result we had shell burst, gunfire etc as background sound.  perhaps you could use the fell area as a sounding board and play sheep noises, curlews, wind etc.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another idea is background sound for the layout.  At Gildersome this weekend a military modeller had a small 1918 trench railway layout on show.  He had acquired a small amplifier that plugs into a portable CD player and the speaker isput onto the back scene which then acts as a sounding board.  As a result we had shell burst, gunfire etc as background sound.  perhaps you could use the fell area as a sounding board and play sheep noises, curlews, wind etc.

Jamie

That's an excellent idea - and a suitable soundtrack shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of. It would certainly add to the atmosphere provided by the sound from the locos.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's an excellent idea - and a suitable soundtrack shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of. It would certainly add to the atmosphere provided by the sound from the locos.

Jeff

It was very effective.  One of our new club layouts is thinking of putting a unit behind a scrapyard with a suitable sound recording playing.  The unit was only £10 but I don't know the manufacturer and the speaker aboyut 1" diameter but it stuck onto the backscene and that amplified it.    Just be careful what type of wind noise is amplified, particularly if beans have been part of breakfast.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

There's a hidden artist in there, Rob!

You should take up writing railway-related prose or poetry. Maybe you're the next John Betjeman?

As for working at KL.... That'd be a promotion! The bliss of working near the fells... Squeals of 3F/4Fs shunting in the background. Hardly an express to be seen. filthy 8F, WD and 9Fs laden with 50 wagons apiece..... BLISS indeed.

Jeff

Actually I would think the Stationmaster would be making sure he launched the weather balloon on time every day plus checking and reporting the weather details as well as ensuring the accounts balance and the stores are in order plus chasing the coal merchants to pay their demurrage bills and rents.   I suspect the bloke who got the job would probably be quite happy with his promotion rather then wondering why he ended up at the place.  Always quite a  difference between the 'romance of the railway' and the cold hard facts of everyday life.

• RMweb Premium

Life was no picnic on the higher parts of the S & C.    Our late club chairman was the son of the Stationmaster at Dent in the winter of 1947 when the line was blocked.  He had to be a weekly boarder at Ermysted's school in Skipton and for various parts of the winter was either trapped at the station or marooned in Skipton.  One of the local preachers at our local chapel was a ganger and had brought his family (3 daughters that my father taught chemistry to) up at Blea Moor.   Shopping trips were done on Tuesdays which was market day at Settle.  Mrs Davidson would catch the first available freight from Blea Moor to Ribblehead before catching the local to Settle.  All the shopping was then carried to Settle Station, put on the platform at Ribblehead, then they had to wait for the next freight to take them home in the guards van.    However the idyll that Rob conjours up is a nice pipe dream.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

Jeff

No. It's the passing express trains! Nobody care about 3Fs...

well, maybe a little. I have received 5 new weathered engines in two days, including Ivatt 2MT and 4MTs and BoB 'Sir Keith Park' and a grubby work-stained Black 5 , I rather think the 4MT or Black 5 on a local stopper will be nice.

Rob

Hey Rob that sounds like a mighty fine consignment of gooodies, Grubby Black 5? well you can never have enough Black 5's. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Lets have some pics then Rob,

Better put Sir KP in the Lounge to keep the Boss happy. :O

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone.

I'm back home now, so I might have a visit into the bunker later.

Probably get started on the building tomorrow.

I've a few items to show photos of later. Nothing exciting, but I'll see what the pics look like and post a few. Around 9ish I would think.

Nice to be able to sit with a laptop instead of trying to post by phone!

Jeff

Hi everyone.

I'm back home now, so I might have a visit into the bunker later.

Probably get started on the building tomorrow.

I've a few items to show photos of later. Nothing exciting, but I'll see what the pics look like and post a few. Around 9ish I would think.

Nice to be able to sit with a laptop instead of trying to post by phone!

Jeff

Horaaa, Horaaaa, Horaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bOdGiT :no:

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the delay.... All set up for a bit of picture-taking then found the camera is totally discharged. Charging up now, so I'll see what I can post at around 11.

Don't expect anything new or dramatic - I haven't been able to do any modelling for nearly a week!

Jeff

Hey Rob that sounds like a mighty fine consignment of gooodies, Grubby Black 5? well you can never have enough Black 5's. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Lets have some pics then Rob,

Better put Sir KP in the Lounge to keep the Boss happy. :O

Discretion is the better part of valour? I'll put up a half finished pic of the Black 5 in a tick. 45253 was a Carlisle 12A engine at the end of steam withdrawn 4/68...

post-7929-0-58480100-1380749580.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Rob - if that's the new "grubby" Black 5, can we see a close-up of the model "in the flesh" - sitting on your table, so to speak.

The weathering on the model is really very good.

Off to the bunker to take a few pics.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few photos showing part of my growing collection of weathered wagons - pulled by a 3F and a 4F.

Thought this would make an interesting interlude...

post-13778-0-66074100-1380751546_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-35281100-1380751553_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95759600-1380751559_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63164500-1380751566_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69979700-1380751572_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49491500-1380751609_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37755200-1380751615_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

Discretion is the better part of valour? I'll put up a half finished pic of the Black 5 in a tick. 45253 was a Carlisle 12A engine at the end of steam withdrawn 4/68...

attachicon.gifBlack5_5MT_BR_45253_portrait_1a_r800_full.jpg

I need more Multi Ticks for that one Rob :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: .

Bodge :sungum:

Hi Jeff, thanks for some great pics.

I trust you had a good time at your Dads and just chilled out and put the world to rights.

With your rake of Minerals, PLUS Jason's and mine we could get a couple of 60 or 70 wagon coal trains going. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

More pics soon I hope.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

My intention is to create a 24 wagon tanker train (all weathered), 20+ 16t minerals (weathered), 20+ 5 and 7 planked (weathered) along with a few other bits and bobs. I've now got around 60 weathered wagons, so I'm getting there.

Major spending is now being curtailed until the New Year while I get back to some basic modelling on the Fell. I would expect to have some platforms built in a month or so.

I'll see if I can get a few more pics to tickle your fancy tomorrow!

Jeff

• Like 1

Rob - if that's the new "grubby" Black 5, can we see a close-up of the model "in the flesh" - sitting on your table, so to speak.

The weathering on the model is really very good.

Off to the bunker to take a few pics.....

Jeff

here is a basic pic 'on the table', and a 'finished' pic. I stitch together two or three pics usually for the basic model pic, each from 4320-pixel wide 2.5MB JPEGs from the camera, and then add the scenery and track from various dioramas I have built temporarily by using copy-paste of selections of areas of images.  The finished pics are often 10,000 pixels wide and 10MB.

post-7929-0-40356000-1380756630.jpg

post-7929-0-31235300-1380756660.jpg

p.s. I stole those trees from pictures on your thread here sent by one of 'us' ... stunted things, windblown, next to an unidentified Midland Railway loco depot. 43253 was mostly a Midland engine before ending up at Carlisle until 1968.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Here is the same engine on the S&C with a mature experienced driver 'having a go' in 1967 with maybe his last turn with a category 1 express train, cold air and steaming well in spite of a few leaks...  an unrecorded 'early arrival' may have ensued.

Last days of steam on BR indeed.

post-7929-0-54310300-1380775146.jpg

• Like 3

*snip* Here is the same engine on the S&C with a mature experienced driver 'having a go' in 1967 with maybe his last turn with a category 1 express train, cold air and steaming well in spite of a few leaks...  an unrecorded 'early arrival' may have ensued.

Last days of steam on BR indeed. *snip*

You may also have captured the essence of the first days of BR: 45253 was the celebrated machine used in the 1948 'Interchange Trials'. During these rather amateurish, 'scientific'  tests, she produced the highest output recorded for a class 5 of 1283 edbhp storming Wellington Bank (Somerset) with a 440 ton train at 50.5 mph. Why your artwork reminded me of this is that she achieved this impressive feat with regulator wide open at 40 percent cut-off. The fireman's comments aren't recorded...

Sorry for the thread drift.

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Black 5 pics, Rob. I wanted to see the model "on the table" and it's a finely weathered beast - really looks the part.

There was a time - only a few years ago - when I thought that models should always be pristine beasts and it was a horror to weather them in any way. How times have changed!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, very impressed with those goods photos and they show the SMP up very well set in that well-laid ballast.

I've always liked freight trains, probably for the variety of the wagons they are comprised of. The weathered wagons, mixed together, also seem to be the right "scale" for the workhorse 3F and 4Fs - it just looks "right". I'm glad a few of you (yourself included) insisted I get some 0-6-0s!

As for the ballast.... The problem with the photos is often the lighting. If you over-light, the extra illumination removes the subtlety of any track weathering. The angles available onto the viaduct usually work quite well. I'll try and take a few more pics later to keep Bodge happy...

Jeff