Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Have you been playing around with photoshop Jeff? Because that looks like there might be <Gr**s> on them there hills!

Andy G

Must have been all that torrential rain, Andy!! It caused a mass germination!!

AndyP's going to have a seizure when he sees those photos. It's only a base cover for now - I usually give things three base coverings before anything else. For most of the Fell the base coverings might be enough.

For reference, I used:

Woodland Scenics.... Earth Blend Fine turf / Burnt grass Fine turf and Earth fine turf onto an intermittently painted PVA base.

This will be allowed to dry overnight, vacuumed off and a second coat of scatter applied on top of the first. Sometimes I spray the first layer with a mister using 1:1 diluted PVA before the second coat, sometimes I put the second coat on and use a pipette to "flow" dilute PVA through the flock. I'll be doing the second method tomorrow, I think (cos I aint got a working mister bottle at the mo!!).

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks pretty good as scrub land, I'd almost be tempted to leave it like it is and just add the odd clumps of long grass...

Have we got the defribulator on standby?

Andy g

I agree Rob, but there is not much we can do until DCC gives us moving arms and legs :no: , I tried this pose but you cant have this on EVERY LOCO.

attachicon.gifWeathered locos 2013 019.JPG

Bodgit

I have the perfect answer!   Paint the crew on with photo-editing. 

and moving quickly along now (while waiting for my ex-WD 2-8-0 from the UK ) I have another solution; photographs which render the crew invisible...   here is right-hand-drive A3 60052 'Prince Palatine' on an ex-Great Central line express from Marylebone to Nottingham or Sheffield around 1952, with one of the very first BR Mk1 carriages at the head of a rake of Gresleys.

post-7929-0-07529500-1377472440.jpg

• Like 1

post-8688-0-48322000-1377472644.jpg

"It's lies, all lies, I tell you.  There is no grass on Kirkby Luneside, just moss growing on the dampness from the painting of the fells in Jeff's bunker!"

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Premium

Scott, I'd give you multiple "funny" ratings if it was allowed. You never miss a trick!!

I must admit I don't know where all the grass came from. I just turned round - and it was there!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifComical Ali.jpg

"It's lies, all lies, I tell you.  There is no grass on Kirkby Luneside, just moss growing on the dampness from the painting of the fells in Jeff's damp bunker!"

You've just given me an idea for Part II of "Jeff and Bodgit (aka Mankini Man and Comical Ali) investigate"....

Jeff

Jeff I would avoid that blue for the wash on the wall(s)  go for a creamy white with a very light touch of blue if you want to add blue.

It's just my opinion. All the layouts you see in mags have too much blue sky. The GOOD layouts like Peterborough North have zero or very little blue. 

Photos always can have background colours altered, but cream is in my opinion safest to start with.

edit;  p.s. and near the horizon would almost never be blue.

Edited by robmcg

These photos are for Andy....

If you look closely on the first pic you can make out the difference in the duller colour of the weathered wall as against the whiter one in the foreground.

The remaining 3 ... well, I don't know why I posted them really. Do you, Andy??!!  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

attachicon.gif100_3999.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4000.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4001.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4002.JPG

Is that Grass I see before my very OLD and TIRED eyes? :no: :no:

That looks really good, it sets the walls off a treat, and when did you do the blue sky? :stinker:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Is that Grass I see before my very OLD and TIRED eyes? :no: :no:

That looks really good, it sets the walls off a treat, and when did you do the blue sky? :stinker:

Hi Andy.

That is only a first coat of scatter - I'm just about to go and vacuum the surplus off and apply a second coat.

The blue background was painted on yesterday. I agree it's a bit naff, but it'll do for now. I was only ever going to have sky with the odd cloud or two - and I'll try and do something better later on. 

I thought you'd be shocked!!

Jeff

• Like 1

SHOCKED? :O I hit me ade on the floor wen I fell orff me chair :no: :no: :no:

Hoover the spare into an old sock and re use, re use, re use, that must the Jewish from my ancestors coming out in me,  NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahhaha

• RMweb Premium

SHOCKED? :O I hit me ade on the floor wen I fell orff me chair :no: :no: :no:

Hoover the spare into an old sock and re use, re use, re use, that must the Jewish from my ancestors coming out in me,  NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  hahhaha

Yes, I did that with the ballast and probably saved myself half the total I used. I'm doing the same with the scatters.

Here are 3 closer views of the stuff I've just put on. I managed to find some mister bottles - I cleaned out some anti-bacterial spray bottles.... Key element is to spray everything with "wet water" before spraying on the PVA.

post-13778-0-13776000-1377530110_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05469000-1377530113_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-58476600-1377530117_thumb.jpg

Jeff

(I'm sure everyone knows this, but the order I've put scatter on is: Apply undiluted PVA to the Fell plaster / sprinkle base coat of scatters / allow to dry / vacuum off excess / spray with wet water (water plus a few drops of detergent) / spray with diluted (1:1) PVA / add second coat of scatters / give a light topp coat of PVA/ allow to dry.... etc.  It's important NOT to press the scatters onto the PVA as this flattens the scatter and you lose the textures that build up.

Sorry for the boring rant).

• Like 4

Hi Jeff, I think the colouring is spot on mate, I just love that Lazy hazy look about it, nothing harsh, just another bit of fantastic modelling mate, well done and 

ABOUT BLODD* TIME TO :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I think the colouring is spot on mate, I just love that Lazy hazy look about it, nothing harsh, just another bit of fantastic modelling mate, well done and 

ABOUT BLODD* TIME TO :no: :no: :no: :no:

Many thanks Andy.

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for explaining your technique Jeff.

The texture is excellent, it almost looks real.

That's why it's taken so long before the grass appeared. I've had to genetically engineer a strain of fell grass that can live in the confines of the bunker...... April 1st?

Thanks Kev. Just to add: Colour is an individual preference. If you look at this view...

post-13778-0-77772500-1377531629_thumb.jpg

you'll see that the hillsides are subdued greens with hints of brown and not much in the way of bare rock. Different areas may warrant a brighter "feel".

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Ha ha! You'll be need some GM micro sheep to keep it short too.

The grass on the lower slopes will certainly be brighter, due to the more fertile soils and sheltered position. Looking at that photo your upper fells are spot on.

Thanks for explaining your technique Jeff.

The texture is excellent, it almost looks real.

Hi Kev, what do you mean ALMOST? I thought it was the time its taken to grow,

Rumors will spread far and wide, people in NZ will look at this tonight when we Poms are asleep and look in wonder and amazement at the splendor of the S& C.