Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I'm struggling to keep up with the pace of this thread. And it's my thread!

Blimey, at this rate all the discussion will be academic as I'll have no time to do any modelling!

And the Thread Index.... only about 30 pages behind now!

So can I PLEASE make a request ......

KEEP THE POSTS/IDEAS/CRITICISMS/SUGGESTIONS/HUMOUR etc COMING - it's great (says here, sounding like Tony the Tiger - remember him?)

Jeff

• Like 2

Looking at that last annotated photo Jeff, I think the wall at the edge of the open fell should stay at roughly the same height (which means it would cross the railway around the tunnel portal), rather than dropping down into the valley.  The path would cross the wall and continue on down across the lower fields, passing near (as opposed to next to) the building, and crossing the bridge.  Just a thought.

I've been topographically planning the scenic boards on Faux Malton this evening.  That's after I found and sorted the bits of wood I'd cut for them this time last year...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that last annotated photo Jeff, I think the wall at the edge of the open fell should stay at roughly the same height (which means it would cross the railway around the tunnel portal), rather than dropping down into the valley.  The path would cross the wall and continue on down across the lower fields, passing near (as opposed to next to) the building, and crossing the bridge.  Just a thought.

I've been topographically planning the scenic boards on Faux Malton this evening.  That's after I found and sorted the bits of wood I'd cut for them this time last year...

Not a bad idea - especially as it would look more dynamic with the path angled to the wall AND it'd give a reason to have a suitable stile partway along the wall.

Jeff

given that the angle I chose for my A3 picture above would hardly have allowed a sharp image of a train at speed, I have done this. Amazing what you can get with a Box Brownie and 1/30th sec!

better get onto unwrapping that dirty ex-WD 2-8-0! It might even be more relevant to KL..!

post-7929-0-74048000-1377732342.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Oops.  How will I break it to Jeff that I have not yet received my weathered ex-WD 2-8-0 but in fact received a weathered LMS Stanier 2-8-0?  I had forgotten about buying that one on Ebay on the 16th.

Not only that, but have opened a newly received Spamcan, weathered 34107 Blandford Forum, and lightly-weathered S&D Maunsell coaches.

He will be livid!

Just as well I am not one of his students in the upper fifth. A well-deserved caning. Detention at the very least....

Perhaps in mitigation I can offer this old b+w photo of an A3 Pacific ... taken no doubt with Old McGavin's 'borrowed'  Voigtlander camera with a fastest shutter speed of 1/125th...  and a slow shutter at that.  All, I have it on good authority, in 1952.

post-7929-0-34520700-1377754450.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's very quiet on here after last nights maniacal level of postings!!

Lest it be thought that I'm doing nothing, I enclose a couple of pics showing the state of the "cross wall" (left to right across the Fell). I've done another 3 hours work on this today:

post-13778-0-63031900-1377792314_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59145900-1377792320_thumb.jpg

No more work for the present. Off out for a large curry this evening!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now you know why those dry-stone wallers  charge so much for their art.

I wonder if this skill will transfer to 12" to the foot?

Jeff could be adding a new string to his bow - his block paving is just the start...

It's very quiet on here after last nights maniacal level of postings!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, every where seems quiet on here, I have had almost NO REPLYS on Crammore Bridge but I am having a night over at Binnys (the other Jeff) tonight for a running session and a good old chat.

Hills and walls are looking good and I cant wait to get unpacked and started.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, every where seems quiet on here, I have had almost NO REPLYS on Crammore Bridge but I am having a night over at Binnys (the other Jeff) tonight for a running session and a good old chat.

Hills and walls are looking good and I cant wait to get unpacked and started.

Morning Andy.

I've just logged in but it does seem quiet. I'll have a quick look around and then it'll be into the bunker for more walling.

I like your little Crammore Bridge layout - shows what can be done in a very small space.

No modelling tomorrow - walking in the Lake District to clear my mind!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this skill will transfer to 12" to the foot?

Jeff could be adding a new string to his bow - his block paving is just the start...

Model walls are quite enough for me! I may like bricklaying and landscape gardening but I'd never fancy being a waller. So skillful - you've got to admire those guys.

Anyway - target for today is another 30cm of wall!!

Jeff

I like what you have done to the land....It looks quite Yorkshire and matches the stuff I've seen at higher altitudes where grass barely glows long or gets chewed down by sheep's....! As for those handmade drystone walls, they are an heroic effort all round.

• RMweb Premium

I like what you have done to the land....It looks quite Yorkshire and matches the stuff I've seen at higher altitudes where grass barely glows long or gets chewed down by sheep's....! As for those handmade drystone walls, they are an heroic effort all round.

Thanks Larry. However, I feel the adjective "heroic" should be replaced by the more appropriate "insane"!!!!

Jeff

Misread this as "Jeff is going to look awfully good when weathered and grassed". !

Well, he ought to be aware of the real steam railways of the late BR era at least, grassed or un-grassed. I am thinking of buying and weathering a Fowler 4F, which suggests to me that his purported insanity is contagious.

however...

the scenery is now west of Exeter, 34107 'Blandford Forum' with Maunsell set 390 heading 5 coaches for Padstow... Lovely light in the countryside. Not sure if the fencing is truly authentic for this part of the realm... but our unrebuilt Bulleid is certainly at home. They wouldn't have allowed such competent modern engines near KL.

post-7929-0-37829800-1377922594.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff.

Your scenery is making a big impression and turning my thoughts back to our stay at Kirkby Stephen.

Now, the one thing I didn't photograph was the walling or, rather, a particular aspect - MOSS.

There's a jolly good reason for that - we were driving past the stuff too quick to capture the effect.  So I'll leave that to you.

We were on our way to Wensleydale and there were some excellent examples of the odd tree here and there, spreadeagled over the wall.  In the shade, moss covered the wall, especially thick on the north side.  Thought it might be a useful trick to add to KL to add a bit of variety if you need/want it.

Just a thought.

Have a good weekend in the bunker.

Polly

• Like 1

Hi Polly, some good pointers there and ones that I am sure Jeff and many others will find useful. I like the idea of a tree hanging over a wall, possibly with a couple of Sheep in the shade, OR sheltering from the wind and rain, hahaaa

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly, some good pointers there and ones that I am sure Jeff and many others will find useful. I like the idea of a tree hanging over a wall, possibly with a couple of Sheep in the shade, OR sheltering from the wind and rain, hahaaa

Not sure it rains on KL squire. At least, not when Jeff's around. :mosking:

Luney Polly

Edited by southern42