Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Grass? Trivia?

They spend £1000s advertising stuff to make it grow - cheer up, sleepy Jean Jeff...

Stop monkeying around and get spreading....

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Grass? Trivia?

They spend £1000s advertising stuff to make it grow - cheer up, sleepy Jean Jeff...

Stop monkeying around and get spreading....

Yes, it's going to cost me thousands to cover that fell!!

I might convert the Fell into a military firing-range - more mud, less grass!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

We could have another debate on whether to do the walls next or the grass. I dunno if you say nowt questions get asked where are you all and if you say anything people think you might be being critical. It is a hard life :scratchhead: :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Since you'd need to dig a trench, presumably, to put the foundation stones down for the walls, I guess the grass/other vegetation along the walls would (re)grow after.   And then, again, field use/crop rotation would have rung in the changes from time to time so the walls would probably have been there long before today's 'grass' - possibly/probably?

Sometimes I think I talk rot - undoubtedly due to decaying grey matter....not getting any younger.... :jester: :jester: :jester:

Pollycell

• RMweb Premium

You could cover it in soil and grow cress on it. Couple of weeks and hey presto, instant grass! Plus, get peckish and you have an instant low calorie snack.

Courtesy of RMViz Top Tips :D

Edited by Sandside

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the bridge, it's interesting to see the bridge at Gargrave. I would say that that design of arch is one of the most preverlent types. With the arch springing lower I would have thought that the forces on the wings (and the backfill behind the wings) is much lower that if the arch sprung higher up, with quite a lot more vertical loading of the stonework under the springers. The fact that it is also a very graceful shape is a secondary feature I'm sure!

Andy G

(luney arch spotter)

• RMweb Premium

You could cover it in soil and grow cress on it. Couple of weeks and hey presto, instant grass! Plus, get peckish and you have an instant low calorie snack.

Courtesy of RMViz Top Tips :D

Your suggestion would probably work, providing that I left a light on and sprayed the soil with a water-mister every now and then. I'm also partial to cress! In addition, grass would tend to grow in just the right places as the soil would tend to landslip off the steeper bits.

Very tempting.... No, don't think so! Thanks anyway.... I suspect you were deadly serious!  :D :D  :jester:  :jester:   :D :D

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the bridge, it's interesting to see the bridge at Gargrave. I would say that that design of arch is one of the most preverlent types. With the arch springing lower I would have thought that the forces on the wings (and the backfill behind the wings) is much lower that if the arch sprung higher up, with quite a lot more vertical loading of the stonework under the springers. The fact that it is also a very graceful shape is a secondary feature I'm sure!

Andy G

(luney arch spotter)

I'll take your word for it, Andy - but you could well be correct. Anyway, for the purposes of KL, as long as what I build looks approximately right, then I'm happy.

Bit surprised Scott hasn't chipped in, as he's a Civil Engineer. Maybe they don't build such things in Australia!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Since you'd need to dig a trench, presumably, to put the foundation stones down for the walls, I guess the grass/other vegetation along the walls would (re)grow after.   And then, again, field use/crop rotation would have rung in the changes from time to time so the walls would probably have been there long before today's 'grass' - possibly/probably?

Sometimes I think I talk rot - undoubtedly due to decaying grey matter....not getting any younger.... :jester: :jester: :jester:

Pollycell

Don't worry Polly. We're all getting older at the same rate of one second per second and there's nothing we can do about it!

Almost everybody who has seen KL "in the flesh" has said I'm insane, so welcome to the club!

And btw.... if I'm NOT insane now, I WILL be when all the walling has been built!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, Good to see that the bridge is making steady progress and no doubt will be finished before I next return to RMweb. I'll have a SWMBO from tomorrow, so will be away to Northumberland for a week and as I don't have a lap top 'puter or one of those fancy eye phone thingies, I will not be able to keep in touch. Looking forward to leafing through all the railway books at Barter Books in Alnwick's old railway station though.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Good to see that the bridge is making steady progress and no doubt will be finished before I next return to RMweb. I'll have a SWMBO from tomorrow, so will be away to Northumberland for a week and as I don't have a lap top 'puter or one of those fancy eye phone thingies, I will not be able to keep in touch. Looking forward to leafing through all the railway books at Barter Books in Alnwick's old railway station though.

Jonathan,

I knew it was imminent so - CONGRATULATIONS - and all the best to both of you.

The weather is going to be lovely, so I hope you have a great day - and week.

I know your SWMBO is a rail fan, but wise move with the laptop - give HER all the attention, not the railway!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, gentlemen. We are staying at the Waiting Rooms, a conversion of the old railway station on the ECML at Warkworth. Hope to go to Edinburgh from Alnmouth and will treat ourselves to first class. There's a nice model railway shop on Leith Walk....

Congrats Jonathan and all the best for the future.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

I've been doing some of the really fiddly tasks on the bridge fascias.

The photos show the filler work needed to provide some kind of decent transition between the Slaters dressed stone (effectively corrugated plastic sheet) on different faces (at 90 degrees) of the pillars.

The filler was applied "carefully" and left to set for 6 hours. This is the kind of mess you get...

post-13778-0-36698500-1366383854_thumb.jpg

After an hour of rubbing down and scraping - I use 220 grade sandpaper, the sections have melted into one another so the transition looks reasonable when painted (which I clearly haven't done yet!!)...

post-13778-0-96069800-1366383843_thumb.jpg

I'm sure there are people who are more skilled than me, but I'm quite happy with the result.

I'll do the other face later this evening.

Jeff 

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

I've been doing some of the really fiddly tasks on the bridge fascias.

The photos show the filler work needed to provide some kind of decent transition between the Slaters dressed stone (effectively corrugated plastic sheet) on different faces (at 90 degrees) of the pillars.

The filler was applied "carefully" and left to set for 6 hours. This is the kind of mess you get...

attachicon.gif100_2988.JPG

After an hour of rubbing down and scraping - I use 220 grade sandpaper, the sections have melted into one another so the transition looks reasonable when painted (which I clearly haven't done yet!!)...

attachicon.gif100_2986.JPG

I'm sure there are people who are more skilled than me, but I'm quite happy with the result.

I'll do the other face later this evening.

Jeff 

Jeff

Think it looks great  - I'm posting another Gargrave bridge pic (took these weeks ago while waiting for some steam engine working that never turned up) you might not spot it but on each of the stones there is an indentation in the middle where the masons lifted it into position - if you want the ultimate in accuracy.......   Still love the fantastic colouring though.

post-17870-0-88360800-1366400196_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pic, Simon. I've just indexed the previous one!

It occurred to me that I've probably travelled under that bridge on dozens of occasions, when using the Leeds-Morecambe line. Haven't been that way for over 20 years, but it was a common journey when I was a student in Leeds.

The DMUs were just about as "weathered" as your bridge - if not quite as old!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It is one of those quirks of modelling that if you were to copy the weathering in that photo, unless you could present it as evidence, nobody would believe it on a model.

Talking of weathering, did you see the amended Cravens DMU with the muck taken off the sides Jeff? I know you commented on the filth, just wondered what you thought of it cleaned up? To be honest, without seeing the photos of the real thing, I wouldn't have believed that something with such dirty underframes could look so glossy up top!

It is one of those quirks of modelling that if you were to copy the weathering in that photo, unless you could present it as evidence, nobody would believe it on a model.

Talking of weathering, did you see the amended Cravens DMU with the muck taken off the sides Jeff? I know you commented on the filth, just wondered what you thought of it cleaned up? To be honest, without seeing the photos of the real thing, I wouldn't have believed that something with such dirty underframes could look so glossy up top!

OK I'll admit to be a Bacupster as well - from chimney pots to Black Fives, quite inspirational.  The Craven DMU looks great now. 

KK   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I've kept an eye on it after Larry's comments and your guru (Tim) encouraging you.

I guess the upper parts of the vehicle were kept relatively clean via washing and maintenance, compared to the inaccessible underframes. I was happy with your original rendition, but the cleaner top - supposedly the way they were - looks just as good!

Btw, I'll simply apply acrylics - browns, greys and a bit of black - when I paint the bridges. As long as they look suitably grotty, I'll be happy!

Jeff

I so agree about weathering!  Anything is possible.

Even an A1 on the S&C  !  With King's Cross shedplate....    well, A1s did run Leeds to Carlisle in '63-'65...  even to Glasgow via the GSWR line, according to my RCTS book 2A Locomotives of the LNER A1-A10 Pacifics p200-202.. 

Cheers,

post-7929-0-10747300-1366500348.jpg

Rob, who couldn't find an excuse to put pics of the Hornby 72XX 2-8-2T in the Lunester world...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Weathering also occured during the pre-grouping era, on locos! Was flicking through one of my HR books this morning, and noticed a photo of a HR loco showing how the tablet exchange worked, and you can see the top of the boiler has burnt paint, and there is rust in the angle between the footplate and tank body on the tender. Who said that locos were pristeen in them days???

The DMUs did get filthy, often the only glossy bits under the floor were the patches of oil and diesel that leaked from engines and fuel tank fillers! Go to the railcar site (on the web archive) and look through the pictures on there. The DMUS were all filthy!

Andy