Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I admit to skipping through the off-topic stuff and probably miss some of the modelling as well, so I didn't know you were going for DCC sound. This puts a different complexion on track laying and ballasting. My pal down the road has 'sound' and went to great lengths to make his track as quiet as possible. In fact, everything is so quiet apart from the chuffing, brakes, firemans shovel, generator and bell (its American narrow gauge) that his face is a picture if he detects the merest sound from the motor or gearbox.

Hi Larry,

I recently decided to "treat myself" to a DCC sound Black 5 and a Britannia. I may buy one or two more in the future (9F, 8F, Jubilee) but the majority of my locos will still be "silent". To be honest, I'm like you - I love the sound the wheels make as they pass over gaps in the track....

Sound locos are great - but I already wonder when the initial effect will wear off! Choooooooooo chooooooooo!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Simply stunning..

I very much hope one day when (NOT if) you have an "open day", I'll get to see this masterpiece in the flesh, so to speak.

Keep up the superb work & I hope you enjoyed your play with your new toy, you deserve it.

Always remember, "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing".

Chip

Chip, I love that saying - excellent.

Just got in - busy with a bit of Chemistry - going to fit wing walls 3 and 4 now. I'll do the other bridge tomorrow, fit them in place and put some pics up.

You would be very welcome to come and have a play once things are a bit further along. I appreciate your support! And don't be afraid to criticise - it keeps me on my toes. I am forever grateful to Jason (Sandside) for his objective view of what I do.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just to say I am lurking again, I have had to blitz through about ten or more pages on KL and its nice to see the progess, the walls are a labour of love or complete insanity - take your pick, I know how many you need! Keep up the good work.

Noticed Andy's Derby pictures, I was there on the Sunday and really enjoyed the show. Good effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just to say I am lurking again, I have had to blitz through about ten or more pages on KL and its nice to see the progess, the walls are a labour of love or complete insanity - take your pick, I know how many you need! Keep up the good work.

Noticed Andy's Derby pictures, I was there on the Sunday and really enjoyed the show. Good effort.

Hi Mike.

I tend towards the latter point of view. If you committed a crime and were sentenced to 200 hours of "wall building" then I think you could be rightly aggrieved! However, there is no hurry, so if they are made to do a particular job, in a particular section of the Fell, then it won't be so bad (I hope!).

As Andy says, I can always run a few locos around while I'm in the bunker building the walls.

Great to see the progress in your own den. Hope work on the helix is making progress. Between us we ought to make a fair stab at what the S&C has to offer!

Cheers,

Jeff

An interesting variation in comments. I'm sure Gordon S / Capt Kernow (using PVA) just painted the adhesive in between the sleepers, like you've done with copydex, Jason.

I know Larry advocates putting all the PVA down in one go and bedding the track onto it.

I'm going to get some copydex - probably be next week - and start some trials.

Jeff

So wots wrong with nails?

Bodgit.

P.S.  Please bear with me as I have just read 2 pages and only one and a half to go to catch up.

• RMweb Premium

So wots wrong with nails?

Bodgit.

P.S.  Please bear with me as I have just read 2 pages and only one and a half to go to catch up.

No probs Andy. Btw - have a look in the Lounge. I've put a post in there with a link to the rock moulds you were asking about.

Jeff

Interesting how adding a wing wall makes the bridge look more like ..... a bridge.

The second pic shows the area of stonework removed ready for the next wing wall.

attachicon.gif100_3352.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3353.JPG

Jeff

Jeff I was going to give you a BIG TICK for this but I know you don't like them.

Great set of pics again, I would be having the Black 5 running all day and keep letting it past the bridge whilst working on it. :O  :nono: 

Toot Toot for now. :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

PHEW, got there in the end, what a read that turned out to be with some wonderful advice on balasting and some great pics of Jeff's worktop.

Well as for ballasting I will need to take a fresh look at this one day, and also at the track that I will use.

I have a friend who is dismantling a large OO layout with C&L finescale track, most is NOT salvageable, BUT there is a curved viaduct about 4 ft long that I am hoping he can rescue for me. The layout is base around the Derbyshire Dales and is a masterpiece, so if I get the Viaduct I will store it in my loft for the Last Great Project.

Bodgit off to the Lounge :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PHEW, got there in the end, what a read that turned out to be with some wonderful advice on balasting and some great pics of Jeff's worktop.

Well as for ballasting I will need to take a fresh look at this one day, and also at the track that I will use.

I have a friend who is dismantling a large OO layout with C&L finescale track, most is NOT salvageable, BUT there is a curved viaduct about 4 ft long that I am hoping he can rescue for me. The layout is base around the Derbyshire Dales and is a masterpiece, so if I get the Viaduct I will store it in my loft for the Last Great Project.

Bodgit off to the Lounge :sungum:

Andy - to quote you... "Phew!!"

If you get that viaduct, you won't be asking me to build you one!!  :O

Glad you enjoyed the photos of my worktop. sorry all the rocks and bridges got in the way! Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Can't you flog him your spare one Jeff?

;-}

Andy g

I'd thought about using that one in another "great project"!! However, when I come to build something else, I'd probably want to custom-make whatever was needed at the time. So the "old" (August 2012!!) branch viaduct is just sitting, unloved, under the subframe..... Awwwwwww!

Don't think I could bring myself to sell it - and who would want it?

Jeff

I'd thought about using that one in another "great project"!! However, when I come to build something else, I'd probably want to custom-make whatever was needed at the time. So the "old" (August 2012!!) branch viaduct is just sitting, unloved, under the subframe..... Awwwwwww!

Jeff

Use it as an abandoned route... like the Hawes branch?

Jeff

Sounds like a PLAN for that spare bedroom mate.

• RMweb Premium

Use it as an abandoned route... like the Hawes branch?

Sounds like a PLAN for that spare bedroom mate.

Don't tempt me. I've just got rid of the layout that filled the spare bedroom.

Now then, where were my rough sketches for that "shelf layout"...umm, can I fit a viaduct in....?!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

For your delight and delectation.... Je vous presente.... my 2 Brits.

Clive of India, Sound loco. William Shakespeare - just fitted an 8 pin Lenz decoder and he runs like a dream.

post-13778-0-15287400-1369310294_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59546800-1369310298_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-65696500-1369310302_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34143600-1369310309_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

For your delight and delectation.... Je vous presente.... my 2 Brits.

Clive of India, Sound loco. William Shakespeare - just fitted an 8 pin Lenz decoder and he runs like a dream.

attachicon.gif100_3355.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3356.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3357.JPG

attachicon.gif100_3358.JPG

Jeff

Sorry Jeff the LIKE had to be done, BUT I STILL CANT HEAR IT :boast:

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff the LIKE had to be done, BUT I STILL CANT HEAR IT :boast:

Must admit I'm pleased with the sound performance of the locos. But just nice to have some Brits on the layout!

Thanks for the "gift" of the Likes!!

Jeff

I really must get a Brit and Clan, I can't run that sort of thing on Fiddlers Yard but one day, yes one day a Clan and Brit over that lovely viaduct, if I am luck enough to get it.

I will need to get some of the rock moulds for both home and up at the Club as the new section at the Club is coming along nicely and the track should start to go down next week. I have taken my inspiration from Pete Watermans Hatton Bank, as it nears the tunnel, ours will do the same but cut into the side of the hill.

More inspirational rock pics please Jeff and a shot of the Brit on the Viaduct would be good.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

The bridges are coming on great. Somewhere in their was an odd coment 'been busy with a bit of chemistry' how many of us could admit to that. The loco look nice and the layout will give them room to run. Time for a bit more testing I would think give the locos a bit of running in, a chair and a drink would be necessary so you can supervise. Sounds fun to me.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The bridges are coming on great. Somewhere in their was an odd coment 'been busy with a bit of chemistry' how many of us could admit to that. The loco look nice and the layout will give them room to run. Time for a bit more testing I would think give the locos a bit of running in, a chair and a drink would be necessary so you can supervise. Sounds fun to me.

Don

I think your suggestion is a good one, Don. I've now got a valid excuse to watch the trains go by for a while!

The wing walls are all fitted to the bridges. I'll be cutting and fitting some coping stones in the next couple of hours, so I'll put some more pics up with the bridges in situ.

And yes, we must never forget that this is supposed to be FUN. Seeing the 2 Brits moving round the layout certainly puts a smile on my face!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I really must get a Brit and Clan, I can't run that sort of thing on Fiddlers Yard but one day, yes one day a Clan and Brit over that lovely viaduct, if I am luck enough to get it.

I will need to get some of the rock moulds for both home and up at the Club as the new section at the Club is coming along nicely and the track should start to go down next week. I have taken my inspiration from Pete Watermans Hatton Bank, as it nears the tunnel, ours will do the same but cut into the side of the hill.

More inspirational rock pics please Jeff and a shot of the Brit on the Viaduct would be good.

Bodgit

I think the rock moulds are a great investment. Just use normal filler/plaster and soak in warm, soapy water afterwards. I've had mine for years and they still produce good copies.

I'm charging the camera at the mo. I'll be in the bunker later, as I've said in my previous post. I'll take some viaduct shots for you.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Love the loco pics, Jeff.  Thanks for posting - they're just as stimulating to get things going this end as your layout triumphs.

Yes, I too love the Brits (Britannia and Alfred the Great/rename to Oliver Cromwell?) and Black 5 and all will probably be used in the preservation era on Great West Road suitably glossed up.

The 9F 92240, prototype preserved on the Bluebell Railway, will be in BR service suitably weathered down, with sound in the pipeline.

Rays home.  Time to put the kettle on.

Polly

:sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Love the loco pics, Jeff.  Thanks for posting - they're just as stimulating to get things going this end as your layout triumphs.

Yes, I too love the Brits (Britannia and Alfred the Great/rename to Oliver Cromwell?) and Black 5 and all will probably be used in the preservation era on Great West Road suitably glossed up.

The 9F 92240, prototype preserved on the Bluebell Railway, will be in BR service suitably weathered down, with sound in the pipeline.

Rays home.  Time to put the kettle on.

Polly

:sungum:

Quite agree about loco pics - it really does fire the imagination when you look at some of the amazing models we have access to. Seeing the 9F you had weathered at Grimy Times was the same for me.

Cutting and fitting coping slabs from 2mm ply at the mo.

More later!

Jeff