Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Those black 5s would look good emerging from under your bridges, Jeff. Another good modelling day in TS17, low grey cloud, 10C and rain in the air. It is the end of May and not October isn't it?

There are more Black 5 pic to come. I'm sure with Jeff's permission I could have them bursting out of his tunnels and bridge/aqueduct system, would need to have coloured hillsides behind however, not white plaster!  There are enough photos of the finished bridge in this thread already to start a pic., but today's effort will be an approaching shot of the two Black 5s at speed, exhaust curling back over the Stanier coaches so that Coachman won't see that they are all corridor thirds!

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, a great set of shots, I am looking forward to more and more shots over the coming days.

BTW,

Black and White is a thing of the past, hahhaha :no:  we are now in the 21st century so you can use colours LIKE GREEN for example, SO no pressure there then, hohohohohohohhhhhooooeee :O

Bodgit the Flockmaster :sungum:

Don't worry Andy. I'm adding a new colour to the palette tomorrow: BROWN!!

I can't think of anything in nature that's green - can you??!  :O  :O

Hopefully some more pics tomorrow - in black, white, brown.....Lol!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Just caught up.  The bridges look excellent.  I am not surprised they took as long as they did, buildings always take a while to construct..  Did you paint and weather them the same way as the viaduct?  I assume you did, very effective.

The cuttings are shaping up nicely as well.  I am sure that you will not regret spending lots of time in that corner, you will probably spend equivalent time elsewhere on the layout.  It is not as if you have a deadline so you might as well enjoy it as you go along.

Now, I really need to put some swan neck handles on the sides of my Holden Metro coaches but they are taking me about 30 minutes each and I need to go to bed soon!

Thanks Chris. The bridges/walls and rock faces have taken me 7 weeks. I could have got the job done a bit quicker but, as you said, what's the hurry?

That corner is still going to take a while. There is more space elsewhere, but the corner is congested. I have to fit the rock faces onto a reconstructed cutting wall tomorrow. Then do a touch of brown earth painting. then I may have a surprise for Bodgit!!

Watch this space!

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning Rob.

I assume that would be the Basin Reserve, Wellington that you referred to? England played a Test match there a few months back.

Yes, that 9F is suitably "cruddy". I remember seeing some beautifully filthy 9Fs in one of Dave Shakespeare's "Tetleys Mills" articles in Model Rail, some years back. I was never a fan of weathering, but - as Jason said a while back - once you create a realistic scenic surround, pristine models just don't look right. I've still got a lot of clean models, though.

We ought to be thanking you. The number of models you are purchasing from these shores is helping to restore parity to our balance of trade with the rest of the world!!

Jeff

Don't mention the cricket!  England have a very fine team right now, and it would be a shame to expect them to beat and humiliate the Aussies twice in two years.

Nothing is more satisfying than beating Australians. They take defeat so badly.  We in NZ treat it as a normal course of events. Defeat that is. An art form really, learned from guess who?    

Thread drift.  Back to K L.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

There are more Black 5 pic to come. I'm sure with Jeff's permission I could have them bursting out of his tunnels and bridge/aqueduct system, would need to have coloured hillsides behind however, not white plaster!  There are enough photos of the finished bridge in this thread already to start a pic., but today's effort will be an approaching shot of the two Black 5s at speed, exhaust curling back over the Stanier coaches so that Coachman won't see that they are all corridor thirds!

Rob - once I've produced any scene you think is ready to use - please adapt and use it.Whether the viaduct, bridges, whatever - if you can Photoshop it as a background to your locos, then go for it!

TMC received my locos today. So in a few weeks I should have a really grotty 9F to match the one you showed earlier.

I was looking at my roster of locos I'll use on KL. These are the WEATHERED locos I will have available in a month or so:

2 x 9F

1 x 8F

3 x Black 5

2 x Brit

3 x Standard 4MT (4-6-0)

2 x Standard 5MT (4-6-0)

I need to add a couple of weathered Jubilees to this lot. Keep posting pics of your purchases - they are inspiring me with ideas I wouldn't otherwise have come up with!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Don't mention the cricket!  England have a very fine team right now, and it would be a shame to expect them to beat and humiliate the Aussies twice in two years.

Nothing is more satisfying than beating Australians. They take defeat so badly.  We in NZ treat it as a normal course of events. Defeat that is. An art form really, learned from guess who?    

Thread drift.  Back to K L.

Rob

Maybe in most sports. But you can always fall back upon the All Blacks. Consistently the best.

Just like Black 5s, Black 8Fs, Black 9Fs .... see the pattern, anyone?

Jeff

Thankyou Jeff, the will be no shortage of material for us to photograph.

You mention Jubilees, they are inspiring engines to me.... one of them with a single-syllable name I've forgotten was used in tests not long after the Jubilees has gained a very poor reputation for steaming, in spite of the draughting and superheating mods., and took a 9-coach train over the hill from Leeds and also I think on one side of Carlisle or the other, 300+tons at an average of just under a mile-a-minute overall.   Must look it up.

Edit; it was  5660 'Rooke'  Bristol-Leeds 55mph average including Lickey, and Leeds-Glasgow including the Long Drag average 56mph   in 1937

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou Jeff, the will be no shortage of material for us to photograph.

You mention Jubilees, they are inspiring engines to me.... one of them with a single-syllable name I've forgotten was used in tests not long after the Jubilees has gained a very poor reputation for steaming, in spite of the draughting and superheating mods., and took a 9-coach train over the hill from Leeds and also I think on one side of Carlisle or the other, 300+tons at an average of just under a mile-a-minute overall.   Must look it up.

Rob, the station and goods area may take a while to develop, but over the next 6 months there should be plenty of background Fell, stone walls etc etc. It'll be good to see what you come up with.

Anyway, it's time for bed - 22.45 here.... may seem early but I love to be up by 5.30. A quick breakfast and it's on with the next rock face!

Cheers,

Jeff

Don't worry Andy. I'm adding a new colour to the palette tomorrow: BROWN!!

I can't think of anything in nature that's green - can you??!  :O  :O

Hopefully some more pics tomorrow - in black, white, brown.....Lol!

Jeff

Yes it is a mix of Yellow and Blue,

You can play cricket on it,

Cows eat it,

Hippies smoke it,

Weeds grow in it.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Bodgit Flockgrass 2nd :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am looking forward to Rob's pics of the Jube and others emerging from your Black and White HOLES, hahhahahaaaeee

Come on Rob, add some colour mate. :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Must say that I'm also intrigued by the digital fiddling that Rob will come up with. It should be entertaining. At least it'll be my layout that's getting the digital treatment - not pictures of me! Who can ever forget the green m*****i - thanks Scott (it's indexed if you need to look again).

Colour WILL appear eventually. Especially when I start running a few BLACK locos!! Well, they sometimes had RED buffers on them!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I told you he would not leave you alone. The navvies must have had a hard time blasting through that bedrock to form a cutting. Could almost be the approach to Dove Holes tunnel

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, I wasn't familiar with Dove Holes so I've just googled it.... I see what you mean as far as the "orifice" is concerned!

I love rock faces, so I'm very grateful to whoever suggested the cutting idea in the first place (was it Peter?)

Lovely morning in TS17 - how can the weather change so dramatically in a few hours?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I think you need to order a Bachy 4F and get one of their 3Fs. They would look great double-heading over that viaduct. By your period they would be really run down.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I think you need to order a Bachy 4F and get one of their 3Fs. They would look great double-heading over that viaduct. By your period they would be really run down.

I'm waiting for 31-882 (4F) to come out in August-ish. I'll get it weathered at TMC, so it should look the part. Hadn't considered a 3F, though the model gets good reviews.

Jeff

Must say that I'm also intrigued by the digital fiddling that Rob will come up with. It should be entertaining. At least it'll be my layout that's getting the digital treatment - not pictures of me! Who can ever forget the green m*****i - thanks Scott (it's indexed if you need to look again).

Colour WILL appear eventually. Especially when I start running a few BLACK locos!! Well, they sometimes had RED buffers on them!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

Yes, it's scary to think the only green we've seen so far on K/L is your Mankini, Jeff!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's scary to think the only green we've seen so far on K/L is your Mankini, Jeff!

Scott - this is VERY true....and YOU were the culprit!!  :nono:  :nono:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've rebuilt the cutting walls, taking into account the positions of the bridges. They will shortly be ready for plaster and rock-fitting.

In the meantime, here are a couple more BLACK and WHITE photos (especially for Andy) to show the current scenic beauty of this wonderful corner of England KL!!

post-13778-0-39377900-1369992194_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88313300-1369992200_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Really looking the part now Jeff. What's the view like from the normal opperating area? Peter's Spares on Riverside Park has a BR 3f in stock, I saw one the other day whan I was over there. Worth a visit even just for a browse. They may even have GREEN paint.

• RMweb Premium

Really looking the part now Jeff. What's the view like from the normal opperating area? Peter's Spares on Riverside Park has a BR 3f in stock, I saw one the other day whan I was over there. Worth a visit even just for a browse. They may even have GREEN paint.

The ironic thing is that many people who come into the bunker won't bother to notice this corner as they'll be concentrating on the forward view ie. station/goods or at the viaduct scene. Nevermind - I'll give each section the attention it deserves.

I'll take a pic from the operating position later.... no green though!

Jeff

Hi Jeff;

*civil engineer's hat on*

I am just wondering if all that time making drystone walls hasn't impacted the way you "see" you cuttings?

I don't like diving in when you are not completed, but to my eyes, there's something out of character with the stone cuttings as you have them now.

Have a look at this view of Blea Moor entrance:

Blea_Moor_South_Portal.jpg

Now compare the rock formation to that around Peak Forest:

60097tunnel.jpg

I know you aren't finished, but can you see how the rock on the S&C was a lot harder, and so the faces were able to cut at a steeper angle, in a continuous face, wheras the Buxton rock is less contiguous, and so is benched (stepped back in terraces).

*Civil Engineers hat off*

I'm sure you will make the end result look good - but do have a think about how this sort of detail locates a scene in a certain part of the country, and if you maybe need to S&C-ize your rock faces a little more?

Of course you can alway find a photo taken on the S&C of the rocks as you have set them, and tell me to bu**er off until I know what I am talking about!

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

That's quite ok, Scott.

However, in this case I'm not going to change a thing. The reasons.... I've a collection of rock moulds that I use and they are generic, not specific to the S&C. I agree about the rock formations, but to produce those  you showed would have entailed my making a plaster face and carving into it with a knife. It might be more authentic, but I'm not a fan of the appearance it generates.

The cuttings are a small add-on, a consequence of the bridge-aqueduct scenario. I'm not a great stickler for 100% authenticity, as long as I can produce something that looks good. You could argue it would have been just as easy to do it the "S&C way" - and I accept that. However, being a tad selfish, I like the "Peak District" style and - though it's probably wrong - I'll stick with it.

I appreciate your suggestions - as always. Believe me - I've made rock faces a la S&C style - I didn't know it WAS S&C - and never really liked the look....chunky terracings for me, then!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of rocks, here are some not-particularly-good photos, showing the Peak District (! Well - it's a long journey round that corner from Kirkby Luneside station!!) rock faces on all 4 walls of the cutting.

Jonathan - the last pic shows what you see from the operating area - the cuttings are almost invisible now - and will be when the rest of the hill is added (see next post)...

post-13778-0-34753700-1370008015_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67653000-1370008026_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96861200-1370008033_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I hope this makes sense....ground levels with relation to top of rocks in cutting etc.

post-13778-0-29608300-1370008922_thumb.jpg

I've included the bridge-aqueduct photo - again - for reference!

post-13778-0-29159100-1370008998.jpg

Jeff