Wainwright 'C'

Ian Hargrave

I could do with a side view of the loco pleeeeeeze......., as I want to resize the image to 4mm scale and see how it compares with a scale drawing of the L&YR 3F 0-6-0. I'm hoping the round top firebox has caused Bachmann to produce a chassis with a lower motor than in the MR 3F.

It's certainly a neat looking model.

Is this of any use? Click for enlarged version.

post-7929-0-15925900-1354997931_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob, Many thanks for responding to my request for a side view. I printed it to 4mm scale and the boiler does look to be the same height as that on a Lanky 'A' Class 3F 0-6-0. Before purchasing a 'C' class (I already have a MR 3F), the next move is the vain hope that someone has got a MR 3F and a 'C' class so that thay can compare chassis to see if the C has a lower motor.... Well, you never know.. :biggrin_mini2:

Fantastic....just what is needed......... A photo with a scale rule. The Wainwright 'C' class motor and weight is definitely lower than that on the Deeley 3F. Thanks very much Neil.

A photo by friend Jim Davenport showing Lancashire & Yorkshire 'A' Class loco No.52248 at Lees, which I fired several times. It is waiting on ECS to work the Oldham Clegg Street - Skegness (it's annual pilgrimage as far as Guide Bridge I should add!). Shown with original Aspinal 5' 3" x 5' 3" short wheelbase tender....

post-6680-0-32659300-1355058876.jpg

(Photo by Jim Davenport, Copyright Brian Green collection)

Fantastic....just what is needed......... A photo with a scale rule. The Wainwright 'C' class motor and weight is definitely lower than that on the Deeley 3F. Thanks very much Neil.

A photo by friend Jim Davenport showing Lancashire & Yorkshire 'A' Class loco No.52248 at Lees, which I fired several times. It is waiting on ECS to work the Oldham Clegg Street - Skegness (it's annual pilgrimage as far as Guide Bridge I should add!). Shown with original Aspinal 5' 3" x 5' 3" short wheelbase tender....

post-6680-0-32659300-1355058876.jpg

(Photo by Jim Davenport, Copyright Brian Green collection)

You're a bad man Coach. Temptations again. Mind you if you finish doing yours first perhaps Bachmann will list it in their next catalogue announcement.......................

You're a bad man Coach. Temptations again. Mind you if you finish doing yours first perhaps Bachmann will list it in their next catalogue announcement.......................

...And that is the problem......I am very tempted to build a body and tender but a Bachy would knock my efforts ito a cocked hat. On the otherhand, if my model did precipitate a RTR version, at least I could own all the 'A' classes they had at Lees 26F!! :boast:

Given that the SECR liveried one seems to have sold extremely well, I wonder what the chances are of another one appearing in SECR livery with a different running number?

Santa assures me that my SECR example was delivered to the North Pole from Hattons a little while ago, for final delivery on Christmas day morning ;)

• RMweb Gold

Daftness strikes - having totally forgottent that I'd pre-ordered one back in the days when they were first announced I've now got two pretty green 0-6-0s, ah well I supposed I could always filthify one and assume it had ended up in NCB hands :O .

You could hang on to the extra one, and when they are completely sold out you could make a killing on eBay :-)

Daftness strikes - having totally forgottent that I'd pre-ordered one back in the days when they were first announced I've now got two pretty green 0-6-0s, ah well I supposed I could always filthify one and assume it had ended up in NCB hands :O .

I hope I've forgotten about stuff I've ordered. It will make for a fun Christmas!

RP

• RMweb Gold

Was this before you banged your head last week ? I'm sure someone would take it off your hands as you might need the money for what your Hornby crystal ball suggests. :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Every time I've looked at the photos of the black ones I have been thinking it reminded me of something else provided I couldn't see the distinctive SECR smokebox front/door - now I know what it is, it was in my mind's eye after visiting the KWVR last year and riding in the L&Y vintage train!

Thanks Coachmann!

That's pretty much how I ended up with two blue 2EPBs!! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Was this before you banged your head last week ? I'm sure someone would take it off your hands as you might need the money for what your Hornby crystal ball suggests. :mosking:

And what I know I have ordered having added a 5205 2-8-0T to that list this very day - and allegedly the first 8 coupled tanks will be in the shops this week (according to a Hornby retailer I spoke to today).

Every time I've looked at the photos of the black ones I have been thinking it reminded me of something else ...

And also not way dissimilar in outline to a J15. You only have to glance over the main dimensions of late Victorian and Edwardian 0-6-0s to see distinct groups of machines built at works miles apart to a near identical format. I would estimate that the motor height in the C should go inside any round top firebox model with a boiler nominally 4'9" foot diameter over cladding and with centre line 7'3" above rail, provided the model's boiler has a thin wall. Very useful indeed.

And also not way dissimilar in outline to a J15. You only have to glance over the main dimensions of late Victorian and Edwardian 0-6-0s to see distinct groups of machines built at works miles apart to a near identical format. I would estimate that the motor height in the C should go inside any round top firebox model with a boiler nominally 4'9" foot diameter over cladding and with centre line 7'3" above rail, provided the model's boiler has a thin wall. Very useful indeed.

Bu&&rit! No excuse not to do that LT&SR 0-6-0 now! The only 0-6-0 goods loco with more difficult lining than the Wainwright! :no2:

And also not way dissimilar in outline to a J15.

Even without a scale drawing, the GER J15 looks to be a very different animal altogether with its very low boiler and possibly shorter wheelbase. Seeing as Bachamnn appears to design its loco chassis to suit the loco being produced, this wouldnt matter. Locos to fit the 'C' class/MR 3F chassis would need a coupled wheelbase hovering as close as possible to 8' x 8' 6".

Having spoken to The Hobby Shop yesterday

Although this apparently independent post came from within the retailer concerned I did ask if Bachmann could look into the issue.

Statement from Bachmann Europe Plc regarding the Hobby Shop, Faversham.

Bachmann Europe Plc has recently invested heavily in the total reorganisation and computerisation of its warehouse and this has resulted in considerable improvements in distribution of our products to our trade customers. Like any new system or process it is receiving “tweaks” to its programme if required.

We only became aware of the situation regarding The Hobby Shop, Faversham when the dealer contacted us to say that they had not received their expected consignment of SE & CR liveried C Class locomotives (31-460).

Investigation has revealed that on the day when the orders were processed then the computer for reasons then unknown reallocated the stock for this particular retailer. Bachmann Europe Plc has now taken the necessary steps to identify the cause and to resolve it.

We appreciate that this was outside the control of The Hobby Shop, Faversham and its customers but unfortunately the SE & CR version was sold out on delivery and there is no prospect of us being able to provide replacement stock. For this we can only apologise.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

• RMweb Gold

Ah the computer said no! Good that Dennis looked into it and hopefully glitch now sorted, but if Iwas The Hobby Shop or one of its customers I'd feel pretty aggrieved.

Yep, as a customer of The Hobby Shop, I think you could say that Legend.

Very kind of Mr. Lovett to apologise but surely, as it is Bachmann who messed things up, think they should have gone further than just saying sorry. I submitted a website comments form to Bachmann last Friday so be interesting to see what response I get.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Yep, as a customer of The Hobby Shop, I think you could say that Legend.

Very kind of Mr. Lovett to apologise but surely, as it is Bachmann who messed things up, think they should have gone further than just saying sorry. I submitted a website comments form to Bachmann last Friday so be interesting to see what response I get.

Keith

So what - of a practical nature - could Bachmann do? If the consignment of pretty green engines is gone - it's gone! No question who is at fault, but the frank admission doesn't make engines magically appear. This is the price we all pay for having wonderful models - they are affordable because they are a batch. Now, what we don't know is whether the great demand for the C is making Bachmann talk further with China about another run - but if so those won't be here any time soon, sadly. Barwell and the unfortunate shop in question may have had further discussions, but we wouldn't expect to be party to those.

I've closely scrutinised my SECR book collection and the livery of 592 appears to be spot on for the 1900-10 period, before the simplified lined green was introduced (although most retained the full lining until the plain green was introduced in 1915). So perhaps Bachmann could do a different running number since they are so popular? Alternatively, I don't believe the O1 is a million miles away, mostly just requiring modification to the tender.

As for me, I'm toying with the idea of building Wainwright's other H ... the proposed but never built 0-8-0 version of the C ... I think it could be done with a cut and shut of the C class loco ok.

• RMweb Premium

So what - of a practical nature - could Bachmann do? If the consignment of pretty green engines is gone - it's gone! No question who is at fault, but the frank admission doesn't make engines magically appear. This is the price we all pay for having wonderful models - they are affordable because they are a batch. Now, what we don't know is whether the great demand for the C is making Bachmann talk further with China about another run - but if so those won't be here any time soon, sadly. Barwell and the unfortunate shop in question may have had further discussions, but we wouldn't expect to be party to those.

Apologise. Issue a voucher for future use, thus securing the goodwill of customers , to both Bachmann and The Hobby Shop who appear to be the innocent party in this. Tell people when the next batch of SE&CR will be. Try and track down some models and connect customers with shops. Yes it's a lot of fuss, but if I had pre ordered to secure my model I would really be annoyed.

Archived