Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

10 years in Inter-City blue & Grey on the WCML and as first used on the P&P from 79/80 neither dates make any difference - they don't produce accurate Mk3a's anyway so it would mean re-tooling and not using HST trailers painted up to look like loco-hauled stock.

No doubt some MKIII.Scotrail coaches would help Farish with its sales of 47/7s but that would only work in that one livery and I doubt Dapol would chance.a range of loco hauled sc prefixed MKIIIs in blue grey which is a very narrow window.

Eh? The rakes were in BG for the at least half their life on the service so not that narrow.

Why would the ten years in Inter-City Blue & Grey that the same Mk3a's spent running up & down the WCML be a very narrow window?

Because there are still blue grey loco hauled coaches from the initial batches for sale, on push pull they were introduced in 1979 and went into Scotrail livery in 1984 so it's 5 years.

Only 7 FO's and 27TSO's were taken from the WCML for the new push-pull SCR sets in 1979.

The remaing Mk3a coaches stayed on the WCML, therefore equating to around ten years. (The first Executive repaint to an FO being in May 1984 at the same time as 87006 and 87012).

Am I correct in assuming the major visual difference between a HST MK3 and MK3a is the roof vents? Also, am I correct in assuming that the Dapol MK3s have the roof as a separate moulding (for easy fitting of the light bar)? If so I have the following suggestion for Dapol Dave to consider...

Tooling cost for a new roof (or more if you want to cover the buffets) should be considerably lower than for a whole new coach, and the big thing is whether there is demand out there for it. If people are happy enough to go with the wrong roofs, then there's little point tooling up the variant(s). It strikes me as a perfect Kickstarter campaign as you'll quickly determine if there is an upgraders' market out there and get an opportunity to pre-sell some of a next production batch with the updated roofs.

Your basic £1 pledge just indicates that you'd like to see them produced, maybe your £10 pledge gets you 3 unpainted roofs (with an option to pre-order more) should the goal be hit etc. You can weave the option to pre-order the updated models into it all as well. A stretch goal could involve tooling up the buffets (and ambitiously maybe the BFO for the adventurous to bodge from the forthcoming TGS?). Whether the goal is hit or not, Dapol will have a very good indication of the level of demand for such an update.

Then of course there's the possibility of doing a campaign for producing a CDL-less version (but that's a different ball park cost wise I should think).

Edited by frobisher

Well you'll need to convince us that we can make a return for our investment.

Now a tool (single tool) for just the roof will be expensive (say £3k) so we'd need to sell 3000 at £1.00 each to pay for the tool, not including the 1000 roof mouldings, packing, shipping etc

So Frobisher, my challenge to you is this....... 1) if it's such a good idea give me the money and i'll do you the tooling for you to make the money (loss or profit) from, or 2) get me 3000 sales (minimum) for the roof replacement and i'll see then if its viable.

now a back of the fag packet answer would be no, but if the market is truly there please prove me wrong (as yes i'd be truly pleased to be so)

Then dont get me started on coach bodies at £6k for the body tool then the chassis tool if the underframe is different, then the glazing tool...........its not somewhere i wish to go, but again if the demand is there.......etc.

cheers :locomotive:

Dave

Well you'll need to convince us that we can make a return for our investment.

Now a tool (single tool) for just the roof will be expensive (say £3k) so we'd need to sell 3000 at £1.00 each to pay for the tool, not including the 1000 roof mouldings, packing, shipping etc

So Frobisher, my challenge to you is this....... 1) if it's such a good idea give me the money and i'll do you the tooling for you to make the money (loss or profit) from, or 2) get me 3000 sales (minimum) for the roof replacement and i'll see then if its viable.

now a back of the fag packet answer would be no, but if the market is truly there please prove me wrong (as yes i'd be truly pleased to be so)

That's why I mentioned Kickstarter :) (http://www.kickstarter.com) It's intended for exactly this kind of project, and your back of the fag packet calculations are actually more encouraging than I'd hoped.

My gut feel is that an initial goal of £6,000 is where you'd need to be at (there are some fees to come out so income will be about £5,000 ish after fees should the goal be reached) which is 600 pledges of £10 which is not outside the realms of possibility for a KS campaign. Obviously the pledge levels (and rewards) would need to be carefully structured, but if correctly run the campaign will be able to tell you if it's viable through what are essentially committed pre-orders for the reward parts and it will allow the structuring in of pre-orders for the updated tooling coaches as well.

If it doesn't hit it's funding goal, then you can point to that result and say "told you so". The "only" investment is the time and effort to run the Kickstarter campaign.

Then dont get me started on coach bodies at £6k for the body tool then the chassis tool if the underframe is different, then the glazing tool...........its not somewhere i wish to go, but again if the demand is there.......etc.

cheers :locomotive:

Kind of thought that :(

Am I correct in assuming the major visual difference between a HST MK3 and MK3a is the roof vents? Also, am I correct in assuming that the Dapol MK3s have the roof as a separate moulding (for easy fitting of the light bar)? If so I have the following suggestion for Dapol Dave to consider...

Tooling cost for a new roof (or more if you want to cover the buffets) should be considerably lower than for a whole new coach, and the big thing is whether there is demand out there for it. If people are happy enough to go with the wrong roofs, then there's little point tooling up the variant(s).

The buffets had the same end vents as HSTs so don't come into this equation, just the TSOs and FOs (the loco hauled RUBs and HST TRUBs were, buffers apart, almost identical, at least in model terms - but not real life as they were wired differently). The early pattern roof could also open up the possibilty of a Prototype HST at some stage, of course.

• Like 1

Cheers Bernard!

Slightly less to worry about on that front than I'd feared. I'm currently picking a few experienced Kickstarter brains at the moment on unrelated projects (though related to my business) so I might be able to gauge the viability of this quite soon - I'll report back when I know a little more (and perhaps have something a bit more concrete for DapolDave).

Edited by frobisher

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

In case no one has noticed, C&M models have commissioned Dapol to produce ScotRail liveried Mk3s to go with the forthcoming Farish 47/7 and DBSO.

There is a thread on this at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69564-cm-models-commission-scotrail-mark-3s/

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

full set of farish swallows tgs and buffet with interiors all mint. in the accurate shade of paint for swallow unlike later farish and early Dapol for sale.

Admin edit: Ebay link removed in accordance with the rules of the forum

Edited by Mod4

• 1 month later...

600 pledges of £10

I wouldn't consider interest if the cost wa £10 per roof

However, I myself currently require 30 such roofs for my loco hauled Mark 3A TSO, FO and CO coaches \

When you consider that is 1% of the minimum order required by Dapol...

Edited by mjkerr

I wouldn't consider interest if the cost wa £10 per roof

However, I myself currently require 30 such roofs for my loco hauled Mark 3A TSO, FO and CO coaches \

When you consider that is 1% of the minimum order required by Dapol...

It wouldn't be £10 a roof in any case, it would be a pledge of £10 which would in all likely hood secure you a number of roofs if the project was successfully funded.

Also it's not 1%. £30 is 1% of the tooling cost DapolDave mentioned above. The Kickstarter campaign would need to raise £6K in pledges because you have fees (to Amazon and Kickstarter for the transaction), material, production and mailing costs to deduct from that in addition to the tooling.

Kickstarter (and the others...) are crowdfunding bodies. They are about raising capital through donation pledges (not investment - it's very clear about that) to enable projects to go forward. There may, or may not be rewards for pledges of certain levels, and that is why an awful lot of projects now are (successful) pre-ordering schemes for some companies' products. If sufficient interest isn't present, no one in billed, and no obligation to produce the project is expected.

Crowdfunding is extensively (and successfully) used by the wargaming and roleplaying hobbies, film funding, computer peripherals, and less successfully for computer games.

• Like 1

You could put me down for 12 roofs at the moment and another 8 for the C and M Scotrail ones when they are available.

Has the kicksarter campaign come to fruition yet?

Cheers

Mark

There's no Kickstarter campaign just yet.  I've got a lot of other distractions at the moment (including, bizarrely another non-related Kickstarter campaign an affiliate company is working on) and am still fact finding on certain aspects of this, but it's not something I'd be personally comfortable running myself.  It's one of those things that would work best run directly by the manufacturer (certain infrastructure is already in place, and certainly reputation is - people don't know me from Adam in hobby manufacturing) but first a sound case needs to be made to take the risk of running the campaign as there are costs involved there (production of the video, supporting materials, time of those involved etc.) regardless of whether it reaches its target(s) or not.

My interest in this is enabling correct roofs for the loco hauled MK3s and their inclusion in future production for Dapol, not to have a little business selling the parts for upgraders.  If the Kickstarter campaign happened, you'd place your pre-orders via that in effect.  If you wait for it to be successfully funded in all likelihood it won't happen as you're exactly the kind of person that should be pledging support :)