Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

Following my suggestion and DapolDave's advice in post 150-something in the 'official' thread I have started a separate thread so those just interested in the O gauge range and developments can discuss those products without getting in the way of other discussions for N and OO gauge. I've just started by copypasta of the official text from the first post of the N gauge range - 08, Terrier, SR Pillbox brake van, LMS 6 wheel milk tanks and working semaphore signals.

From my point of view I'm looking forward to a BR Blue 08 and some milk tanks although I haven't yet decided what livery to get. There's likely to be at least one signal required as well, and hope that the 'unannounced additional wagons' involve some engineers stock and railfreight livery box vans.

O gauge

This previous year has seen Dapol engage in developing another area of models railways to our ever expanding portfolio.

O gauge at a true representative, affordable price has garnered attention since it was announced at Warley 2011.

We can now announce further projects in this scale.

Terrier 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive

post-1-0-06973300-1342599016_thumb.jpg

Using laser scanned technology this will be the second of our O gauge locomotives to break cover (with more under development) and will, like the 08 previously announced have an RRP of £199.95

Featuring full cab detail, our OO motor connected to a flywheel and DCC compatibility, aligned with darkened profile wheels (to GOG standards) and a heavy chasis it is bound to be very popular.

7S-010-001 BR Black (Early Crest) #32640

7S-010-002 BR Black (Late Crest) #32646

7S-010-003 Southern Green ‘Freshwater’ #W8

7S-010-004 Stroudley Green #55 ’Stepney’

We are also please to announce that wagons in O gauge get the Dapol treatment as well.

‘Pill Box’ Southern Brake Van.

post-1-0-41264900-1342535815_thumb.jpg

RRP £74.50

We have tooled this model to include left or right duckets, correctly depicted brake gear, handles, chassis plates etc. We have also modelled it with a working tail lamp!

7F-100-001 SR BRAKE VAN 'pillbox' DS56400 Olive Green

7F100-002 SR BRAKE VAN #55965 'SR' Grey / Vermillion red

7F-100-003 SR BRAKE VAN DS55148 Engineers red

7F-100-004 SR BRAKE VAN DS55597 dark grey with yellow warng. Panels

6 wheel Milk Tank (LMS pattern)

post-1-0-23375300-1342535794_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-38024400-1342535806_thumb.jpg

RRP £74.50

Featuring a prototypically see through chassis, and all the detail you would expect from an O gauge wagon, this model will be available in a host of decorations and running numbers.

7F-031-000 6 WHEEL MILK TANKER UNITED DAIRIES

7F-031-001 6 WHEEL MILK TANKER EXPRESS DAIRIES

7F-031-002 6 WHEEL MILK TANKER CWS RED

7F-031-003 6 WHEEL MILK TANKER MILK MARKETING BOARD

7F-031-004 6 WHEEL MILK TANKER UNITED CREAMERIES

post-1-0-13159300-1342535473_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-03423800-1342535484_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06844100-1342535493_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62024400-1342535500_thumb.jpg

Class 08

post-1-0-03423800-1342535484_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-13159300-1342535473_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06844100-1342535493_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62024400-1342535500_thumb.jpg

RRP £199.95

08 shunters have had a running number and livery change and the revised list now reads as follows.

7D-008-000 CLASS 08 #D3048 BR Green late crest no wng panels

7D-008-001 CLASS 08 #13115 BR Green early crest no wng panels

7D-008-002 CLASS 08 #08529 BR Blue with wasp stripes

7D-008-003 CLASS 08 #D3084 BR Green with wasp stripes (late crest)

Also to be made available in O gauge are our range of very successful semaphore signals.

Using the proven technology of our OO+N gauge versions we will be releasing affordable Home and Distant GWR and LMS signal posts, and then developing the range further with Brackets, Southern Ladder and Lattice types.

RRP for the O gauge signals are £49.50 each.

Please note we are working on more freight wagons and locomotives and these will be announced in due course should we find production slots available for them.

Cant wait to see the 08, Im really hoping this is a cracking model.

Really glad to see the green wasp stripes added. I will be renumbering as one of the 81A locos.

The milk tankers look interesting I suppose I could get away with one or two being shunted off an express for on ward travel to Kensington.

All looks good on the RTR O gauge front.

A question for Dave. If they are using oo gauge motors attatched to fly wheels will they have standard DCC 8/21 pin sockets in them?

Im wondering if can get away with a OO gauge sound chip hooked up to a bass reflex speaker. This would be cheaper than the O gauge chip by about £80.

... once i'm back from holiday

cheers

Dave

I do hope you are having a proper break and not just reading RMWeb on your days off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said in the main thread, the Terrier is a tricky fish as they were rebuilt by different companies at different times and by the post war period no two engines were the same. I already have a pair of Sang Cheng locos, purchased before the brass prices went silly, so it will be interesting to see how these develop. At the price they will be retailing for I'd be tempted with a third, although i'd rather have a 'standard' A1X over an Island version.

My only real concern is that those people who wanted a rtr 08 or Terrier will already have brought the brass ones. I do wish Dapol every success in this and already have open wagons and a pill box on pre-order.

... Dave, just don't bring out an SECR P before I've had chance to finish the kit built one ;)

• RMweb Gold

Ahh I just posted about the brake van livery in the main thread before I saw this one.

Dave

I am assuming that the reference to an SR Grey with vermillion red ends should actually read SR Brown with vermillion red ends?

Regarding the 08, I made a suggestion in the original thread (post 48, IIRC!) for offering a Dutch livery, as to allow Dapol to gain ground on the Continent: there are no models of these shunters over here. And at 200 quid even I could be tempted to buy one ;)

The Dutch versions of the 08 came in 3 series, more on these wiki pages: http://en.wikipedia....ki/NS_Class_600 http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_500 (in Dutch, but more comprehensive)

The Dutch shunters were basically the earlier LMS shunter (BR Class 11) which had smaller wheels and many other differences to the 08.

Hi Graham, yes to brown and vermillion red.

The brake van will take into account left and right duckets, 2 or 3 end windows, working tail lamp (where possible), air tanks where needed, axle box raised lettering etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

As the great Al Murray says - "I was never confused!"

I keep getting these wierd urges to go into o gauge. This might just be the last straw!!!!

Good luck Dapol - making it affordable and accessible for us non engineer RTR types

Guest CPRAIL3000

Now if that "N" scale Class 50 would just grow into a "O" scale beast then Dapol is going to burst my Bank account!

The '50' is well served in kit form - as are a number of other releases - but as you point out its the RTR element that is the winning factor here, coupled with affordable prices.

I'd love a 50 and 8 blue grey mk 1's to run round the garden - but seeing as I'm in an upstairs flat with no garden, I can't see that happening somehow...

O Gauge Terrier...

Oh dear - I may faint. You do know this is it - I will HAVE to move to O Gauge for the next layout :D The only minor question which I imagine I have guessed myself is, presumably the laser scanning takes into account some of the variations? For example #55 Stepney doesn't have the larger Isle of Wight Bunker as shown in the CAD above. If this is the case things could get expensive :D I am a slight Terrier Addict (Confirmed cases of both A1 & A1x)

Some fantastic news that Dapol is taking the lead in making O gauge more attractive to starters.

Cheers,

~ Gary

The '50' is well served in kit form - as are a number of other releases - but as you point out its the RTR element that is the winning factor here, coupled with affordable prices.

I'd love a 50 and 8 blue grey mk 1's to run round the garden - but seeing as I'm in an upstairs flat with no garden, I can't see that happening somehow...

Ah ha, whilst the 50 is in N and well covered in O gauge kits, the 73 isn't :resent: It's versatile from a livery point of view, and would compliment the other O gauge rtr offerings - eg HJ Cromptons. Perhaps Dave, in time you'll consider scaling up the 73 to O gauge?

Cheers

Tom

Hopefully we will see more rtr O gauge stuff - but I think it's still very much a gamble from Dapol's point of view as it's very much an untapped market.

You have the 1970's Lima stuff, a small range from Ixion, Skytrex and Heljan, a small range of unpainted brass which clearly didn't work for Bachmann as it didn't last for long, and plenty of kits.

My guess is that standard marketing procedures will apply here - if the chosen items sell well then we'll see the range develop in time, if they don't reach particular targets then that's pretty much the end of it.

Up until now, nobody seems to have been able to achieve 'affordable O gauge' status, and whilst £200 for an rtr 08 still isn't necessarily pocket money prices, it's about half of the alternatives all of which require construction and/or painting - if of course you can find them.

Of course, it's obvious that when they've already done much of the design work in other scales it's those items that are going to appear in 7mm first, so hopefully these 'possible other models' will appear when factory slots become available - or, of course, it may be that these first few items are such a success that some of the other items in other scales get 'queuejumped' as my guess is that they can never plan on 100% factory capacity to get everything released in time because there are always going to be issues that delay things - that's life - but we can but dream.

One of the big problems with O gauge of course its its size - and even more of us don't have the space we'd like in O than the smaller scales. That's probably why a terrier and gronk were the first choices, as they're small. A 33 and 73 are of course also smal

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, yes to brown and vermillion red.

The brake van will take into account left and right duckets, 2 or 3 end windows, working tail lamp (where possible), air tanks where needed, axle box raised lettering etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave.

I don't think either Skytrex or Heljan fit 'small range', maybe not as extensive as we would like.

Heljan are up to seven locos with two more on the way, but does illustrate the perils of expanding into effectively a new market, their mark 1 coach range probably did not live up to their targets and several livery versions have been cancelled, not least because they just didn't look right.

Dapol have already found interest not always as expected (deferred/cancelled EWS 08), but it is early days yet - we have not seen a wheel turn so far. The experience in other scales should stand them in good stead, and one hopes that demand for some of the models/liveries will far exceed expectations. That will of course create it's own problems - scarcity of some models and delays to others as schedules are rejigged to try and cope, but it will help ensure the continuance of the range - we'll just have to be patient.

Hopefully the opens will not be too long now, then we can get into prototype and re-livery/mod options.

,Southern Ladder and Lattice types.

I take this to mean Southern Rail Built as well as Lattice types?

The O Gauge RTR announcements are seriously good news in today's environment of retail doom and gloom so it will be interesting to see how things develop. Hopefully the wagons should be quite easy to swap the wheels out for S7. The 08 and the A1X may well be more challenging but that's something for the future.

I guess the definition of "small" depends what you're modelling - for the layout I have in mind, an 08 would do fine, a 33 would be great (my local shop seems to be having difficulty finding me a Heljan one in blue - but perhaps the sniff of a possible Dapol one has put Heljan off making more - but there is a huge dearth of rtr modernish stock, particularly wagons, rtr for me.

Maybe I should be looking to model from what's available rather than what I want to model - but then would any of us be happy modelling something that didn't particularly interest us but at least the stuff was available to buy?

Hi, computer issues means a reply in even greater haste - lost one Post.

Great news for 7mm from Dapol - thanks!!

The Milk Tankers mean an easy solution for our proposed Dairy on Down Ampney and the GFYE 08 is a fantastic (COOP types for the 1960-1970s' would be perfect!), IMHO, wise move...

A word of wisdom to the wise though Mr. Dapol and a small request from me, many modellers of 7mm have already built the superb Parkside 7mm SR Pillbox/Dog Kennel, which is a Right Hand Ducket version with equal/even planking, therefore would a Left Hand only Ducket RTR version, with, perhaps removable sanding gear/boxes (they were removed by BR in the 1950's), with unequal planking, be the best option for all concerned? Then all versions would be covered without duplication, in this relatively small marketplace. There is the small issue of headstock/bufferbeam reinforcement plates - and solebar plating too - on later, still in service, versions, which has been omitted from the PSD version, which would then also take the van into the 1980/90's in departmental - non revenue - service era.

If duplication is avoided in the 7mm scale market place, then we can all justify both kit-built and RTR Pillboxes, one of each.

BTW, I dont think, that at the price point, if up to Dapol's usual high standards, duplication of an 08 is an issue......more reasoning later if required.

When can we have a 7mm Cl22 - remember my previous missive - LOL!!!

ATVB

CME

Which, if any, of the Colonel Stephens Terriers is it close enough to, or could be modified into? The prefered answer is none, so I can stop having expensive time and space consuming ideas!!!!

BG John

Useful website covering Col Stevens Terriers - http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/locomotives/the-colonels-terriers.html

Given the number that passed through his hands as it were, I'd say your desired 'none' was a slim chance. Especially since previous incarnations of Terriers have eventually made it to GWR green, Portishead being one of Stevens purchases.

Archived