Shunters and Pilots in the modern Era

MattWallace

Hi all - me again! :)

Having seen the state of disrepair that many 08's have fallen in to and the decision of GBRf to replace their 08's at Canton/Cardiff Tidal with a pair of DH50-2s, I'm wondering if there is still a place for a class 08 on a modern layout.

Are they still used in freight yards, or does it tend to be the loco that "delivers" the rakes into the yard that does the shunting these days?

I seem to remember on the thread about the Bambury Stone that a 66 delivers and a second 66 shunts in some cases, and I've also noticed that GBRf appear to have a "thunderbird" at Canton to help out if required.

Any thoughts/advice on this? I'm saving up for my next loco and I'm torn between a 60, a 66, a 70 and an 08... :(

Matt

With the almost universal use of MU's for passenger traffic, is there still a role for station pilots?

I'm assuming that they only come in to play for "steam specials" and the like, although even then it appears to be a DBS/DRS 60 or similar that pulls empty coaches in, decouples and waits for the steam loco to haul them out before departing... (based on a steam special I saw leaving Paddington earlier this year)

• RMweb Premium

Passing Doncaster twice daily there are usually at least a couple of 08's around. One is definitely used in the paint shop/repair yard area and another does work the South yard. It isn't easy to see much of the eastern side of the yard and that is where most of the locomotives seem to gather. 66's seem to do a lot of shunting as well along with occasional 60's.

Depends on how the location you are modelling works.

If the location lets you do all your shunting with the train loco that brought it then there is likely no need for one and on the real railway you don't provide one, as it adds lots of cost to provide it, maintain it in good working order and also lots more cost to crew it.

At a larger/busier location (see above examples of Maritime, Eastleigh, Margam etc) then having one gives you an advantage in that it means your yard crew can be preparing trains irrespective of whether a main line crew is there.

Similarly if the location is a big private industry and needs shunting at regular or odd intervals (see Doncaster works example above) and not just when a main line train happens to be there then you don't want to be paying DB Schenker to have a loco standing by 24/7 just on the offchance, having your own yard shunter makes lots of sense...there DBS drops off and picks up from the exchange sidings by the station...

I can't think of any locations now where there is a 'station pilot' role remaining (Plymouth may have been the last such location?) - but passenger TOCs, especially 'intercity' ones still use 08s regularly to shunt their depot's (and in some places that may mean short trips between depot and station with stock)

DB Schenker shunter duties are certainly much reduced compared with pre-recession levels, and the company has had a large-scale clear out of its redundant 08/09s with even some recently-overhauled examples passing on to new owners or scrap merchants. I believe Westbury is one of the remaining shunter duties.

As for passenger shunts, an 08 sometimes works the Night Riviera empty sleeper stock from Old Oak Common into Paddington when a 57 is not available.

post-694-0-17992000-1350394135_thumb.jpg

With the book value of a big loco running into a figure with lots of noughts on the end and the book value of an 08 at about £250, it makes sense in a lot of ways to keep the 08 there if there's a need for it, especially in works and depots.

Matt - regarding the Banbury stone job, it's all done with the one 66 not two! Same loco brings the loaded train in, shunts it about for a few hours then takes the empties back to Mountsorrel.

Washwood Heath Down Side Yard still requires the use of two 08s at present which I guess is very unusual these days. Hams Hall 'liner terminal a few miles to the east has one in use too.

With the book value of a big loco running into a figure with lots of noughts on the end and the book value of an 08 at about £250, it makes sense in a lot of ways to keep the 08 there if there's a need for it, especially in works and depots.

£250 for an 08?

/me reaches for his chequebook.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

£250 for an 08?

/me reaches for his chequebook.... ;)

I think Roy was talking on the optimistic side to get the price up a bit. (don't get me wrong as they are excellent machines for what they can do albeit a bit uncomfortable and slow to ride on but nowadays their largest financial value is probably as scrap metal for many operators).

Their value has decreased fairly recently, going back a few years a good 'un would be highly sought after, maybe three times what it cost to buy a withdrawn class 73. Now these are being "de-preserved" for silly money.

Speaking as a volunteer on a preserved line which has three 08s, they may be cheap to buy, but they're certainly not cheap to maintain!

I believe Didcot and Alexandra Docks Junction still have/had until recently class 08s (the one at Didcot being used - amongst other things - to shunt stock into and out of the GWS museum).

Rail Express Magazine used to feature a page called "shunter hunter"

Haven't bought a copy of that mag in a while,

but I wonder how many locos that would feature now?

In light of more being scrapped.....

Passed the lovely, shiny green 08 at Celsa in Cardiff the other day

.... but piccies are difficult, since they installed a wire-mesh fence right where they park the locos

.... anyone know if that one is working regularly?

EDIT: Looking back at your original post Matt,

I just wondered whether that 08 will be on its way elsewhere....

Also, as there are still several about, in answer to your original question

of whether there is room for one on a modern image layout,

I'd say "yes" - for the moment anyway

Glad you started this thread, as there are some nice piccies being posted here :)

Taking the lists on the wnxx site, and removing ones on preserved lines, I reckon there are something like 200 locos of classes 08 and 09 in existence, including what we'd once have called "industrials".

Those with a four-letter pool code (what we'd once have counted as "BR" shunters) account for about 150.

Edit: taking out the WN.. (withdrawn) pool codes, we're down to about 130

Plus a few other shunters of other classes.

How many are serviceable and how many are regularly used, I'll leave to someone with more detailed knowledge.

A pair of Gronks are still employed at Norwich Crown Point and occasionally grumble around to the station, my last visit not long ago saw one in Silverlink livery and the other in Cotswold Rail colours.

One also in constant use at Felixstowe for shunting Freightliner trains.

C6T.

Archived