Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

• RMweb Gold

No. 4186; what's a V2 doing on a local?

Stopper from Peterborough?  Or covering for a failure.  

Some where there are photos of them on locals on the GC.

David

• RMweb Premium

What a staggering variety of loco's and stock there once was; such fun looking back but also quite sad. However we can recreate those times if we so wish.

I think those A5 tanks were very handsome. I never 'knowingly' saw one.

Lovely shots again - thanks.

Phil @ 36E

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What a staggering variety of loco's and stock there once was; such fun looking back but also quite sad. However we can recreate those times if we so wish.

I think those A5 tanks were very handsome. I never 'knowingly' saw one.

Lovely shots again - thanks.

Phil @ 36E

Hard luck Phil - a trip up the GC back then was a wondrous sight of a totally alien world for a youngster who lived in Western territory and was used to engines of a completely different shape.  The whole process seemed to be very much a trip into the heartland of those 'dark satanic mills' the further north you went on the GC with alien engines of unusual appearance plus increasing industrialisation until you reached the summit of it all at Sheffield (reverse) or missed it by some route which took us further north east through an industrial landscape peppered with collieries until we emerged back into the countryside on the final leg to York.

Gradually the cheapest route north (via Banbury and Woodford) was replaced for family visits to Yorkshire by the more expensive option of the ECML which had its own attractions and its own patches of industrialism plus some good sheds to watch out for as we went past of course.  But oddly in my later, teenage, years of going north to stop with relatives in Acomb I reverted to the GC route because it remained something very different and it meant a ride behind a Darnall EE Type 3 southwards from Sheffield.  Oh dear, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hard luck Phil - a trip up the GC back then was a wondrous sight of a totally alien world for a youngster who lived in Western territory and was used to engines of a completely different shape.  The whole process seemed to be very much a trip into the heartland of those 'dark satanic mills' the further north you went on the GC with alien engines of unusual appearance plus increasing industrialisation until you reached the summit of it all at Sheffield (reverse) or missed it by some route which took us further north east through an industrial landscape peppered with collieries until we emerged back into the countryside on the final leg to York.

Gradually the cheapest route north (via Banbury and Woodford) was replaced for family visits to Yorkshire by the more expensive option of the ECML which had its own attractions and its own patches of industrialism plus some good sheds to watch out for as we went past of course.  But oddly in my later, teenage, years of going north to stop with relatives in Acomb I reverted to the GC route because it remained something very different and it meant a ride behind a Darnall EE Type 3 southwards from Sheffield.  Oh dear, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

OT somewhat:

Back in the days when the railways were still very regional a trip to another 'land' was an eye opener.

I, being a Brummie, was used to seeing mostly ex GWR and LMS locos,  with the very occasional ER and SR stuff, but a trip in the late 50s with the school locospotters to Madchester's 9 & 26 area sheds was a revelation.

Apart from the stuff on the LMR from "oop north" (L&Y etc.) which didn't normally venture to the West Midlands, Gorton which had recently been transferred to 9G and full of of ex GCR stuff (and loads of WDs) was special and seemed somewhat alien.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Annesley shed &  environs must have been heaven for spotters despite the fact it was such a desolate and dirty area of mine waste, smoke, dust and general industrial detritus. However, just a few hundred yards either side of the yard areas was farmland and open countryside. I would have loved to have seen the two tunnels 'leading to' Kirkby and Mansfield. On the Robin Hood Line today, as one approaches what was the 'upper' of the two, it is hard to visualise what was there before.  63839 looks as if has just left the lower tunnel?

P

• Like 1

"A .Harold Bibby", my last B1 haulage, Barnetby to Scunthorpe, circa 1966/7.

We had been to Barnetby to see the last Brit in the area, 70012, John of Gaunt, on a special out of Cleethorpes via Lincoln.

Three of us went, one, sadly passed away 2011. He was just 60.

• Like 1

What I have noticed on most of the 'Express' trains pictured, rarely are there two coaches the same. Looks like there was an element of 'we need a train, assemble whatever's in the yard that will do'... (e.g. 4245, 4111, 4144)

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

4268 has such a clever composition with the 2P in the foreground, but the pretty lady and her child looking happily on . Unusual and successful.

I think that's Mum and I.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Most of this afternoon's batch are once again in and around Nottingham.  I hope you know Nottingham's railway geography by now as we visit another junction.

This afternoon we reach the end of Volume Four, with the last three prints.  Before we look at Volume Five there a few images which had got into the wrong place in the albums.

post-5613-0-14730300-1368540656_thumb.jpg

New Basford goods yard c1953 JVol4280

post-5613-0-64796900-1368540674_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria A5 le and B1 up ex pass Manchester to Marylebone c1953 JVol4291

post-5613-0-99144000-1368540651_thumb.jpg

Moorbridge Junction GN andGC between Bestwood Colliery and Bulwell Forest c1952 JVol4292

post-5613-0-74706400-1368540660_thumb.jpg

Newark A1 up ex pass c1951 JVol4293

post-5613-0-82758300-1368540683_thumb.jpg

Rugby Coronation Class up ex pass c1952 JVol1066

post-5613-0-40586800-1368540679_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria O4 down goods c1949 JVol3057

post-5613-0-35717100-1368540669_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria A5 E9816 and K2 parcels c1949 JVol3058

post-5613-0-68036900-1368540664_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Victoria A3 up Master Cutler c1951 JVol3059

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I was down in NM looking at where things used to be and that New Basford Yard shot is interesting. Of course there is no indication of it ever having existed,  but if you look down from Perry Road I think it is and you are an investigative historian then you can visualise where it was.

P

• Like 1