Great British Locomotives

EddieB

When I glanced at the photos, the chassis standing on its springs initially had me thinking they were wheels and you were going "outside framed"...

Then I thought "What if William Dean had survived to the end of the 1910s"?  Might the Churchward revolution have been delayed until after the war and there had been a class of outside framed 4-6-0s, a logical extension of the Atbara class, perhaps? Or a coned boiler on an outside framed, six-coupled "City" as GJC flexed his wings? After all, the GER and LNWR 4-6-0s of the period were inside cylinder efforts! Or how about a Monster outside framed Pacific???

Perhaps I should just butcher a couple of Dapol "City of Truros" and get this abberant train of thought out of my system!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2602_Class

Just picked up my A2s they are done as blur Peter in British rail apple green.

Not had time to take them out the packaging but it looks at first glance to be based on the Bachmann model. The electric lights are on the front buffer beam and I don't remember my trix model having rivet detail on the tender. From what I can see it looks a very nice model

Truth is stranger than fiction!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2602_Class

I had the Abadare 2-6-0s in mind and I knew about the Krugers (possibly the most inelegant locos to come out of Swindon?), but thought they were all 2-6-0s too, I didn't realise that 2601 was a 4-6-0!  I definitely think an outside frame 4-6-0 with 7' drivers would look really good.....

And here's Atbara in my fevered imagination...

post-21933-0-50368600-1438772877_thumb.jpg

Oh well, off to see if Sainsbugs have any A2s!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, what a completely unexpected and pleasant surprise to find the model is not as illustrated on the magazine cover, but looks to have been copied quite nicely from Bachmann's A2 with a correct tender type attached.

I think a lot of folk will change their minds and grab this issue when they set eyes on it.

Sorry, no photo available today, too much going on with my PC system being upgraded. I'm sure someone will download piccies quite soon.

Regards,

John

Yes, what a completely unexpected and pleasant surprise to find the model is not as illustrated on the magazine cover, but looks to have been copied quite nicely from Bachmann's A2 with a correct tender type attached.

I think a lot of folk will change their minds and grab this issue when they set eyes on it....

That is a turn up for the books. Might have to skulk around Asda now..... (because WHS Ealing sure as hell won't be carrying it)

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Yes, what a completely unexpected and pleasant surprise to find the model is not as illustrated on the magazine cover, but looks to have been copied quite nicely from Bachmann's A2 with a correct tender type attached.I think a lot of folk will change their minds and grab this issue when they set eyes on it.Sorry, no photo available today, too much going on with my PC system being upgraded. I'm sure someone will download piccies quite soon.Regards,John

Interestingly I think this is the first time in the series that the model is not as shown on the cover. The A2 copy to me seems to be a good one with the rivet detail well reproduced. The Bachmann model is much better than the Trix version. Stricktly speaking it is incorrect for Blue Peter as the model is a single chimney version whereas 60532 was built with a double chimney. Must get another couple of these for conversions.

• Like 2

.... here's Atbara in my fevered imagination...

To feed a boiler of that length, you'd probably need a bigger firebox. Strangely enough, The Great Bear also had problems because the firebox was inadequately sized compared to the length of boiler it was expected to feed......

Interestingly I think this is the first time in the series that the model is not as shown on the cover. The A2 copy to me seems to be a good one with the rivet detail well reproduced.....the model is a single chimney version whereas 60532 was built with a double chimney. Must get another couple of these for conversions.

The Diag. 117/118 boiler is a useful moulding to have and can be used on some of the Thompson Pacifics as well if you are inclined towards that kind of conversion.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

To feed a boiler of that length, you'd probably need a bigger firebox. Strangely enough, The Great Bear also had problems because the firebox was inadequately sized compared to the length of boiler it was expected to feed......

Soooooo....  Enlarge the firebox - make it longer, hmmm?  Push the cab back, and put in a pair of carrying wheels to support the back end?   :jester:

Sainsbugs back to just one GBL, I was early for the 2MT so I must have swiped someone elses pride and joy when I picked up the two...  Nice looking model.  Is the light green lettering/numbering correct, or just thin white with bleedthrough?  AND "Blue Peter" is cockeyed....

Note.  Must get there early on the 19th to get two Brush Type 4s if thats the case!

• Like 3

.....Note.  Must get there early on the 19th to get two Brush Type 4s if thats the case!

I may end up camping waiting outside Asda. What's the betting that GBL do a last-minute clone of the Bachmann 47 shell instead of the Lima / ViTrains one?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

A few photos. Hope they help with any decisions....

I'll have to find one for the boiler and firebox alone. Could be worth it, if the mini-skirt base can be removed, to replace the resin cast one in the old Crownline / PDK A2 kit which, on my sample at least, appears undersized.

• Like 4

Pedantic points time!

As the prototype was outshopped in March 1948 and the model represents her in as built condition, shouldn't her number be E 532*? It's nice to see valve gear where the crossheads are in the correct position for once, though the return cranks are as usual in the wrong angle (or angles as they are different!).

Now I don't really need another East Coast Pacific, but......

* It's touchy as the decision on BR numbering was taken in March 1948 as well. I hope I'm wrong, as it will save me having to renumber.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Does it come with sticky backed plastic and some lolly pop sticks ? Could be a gold badge in it if you convert it according to Valerie !
  • Like 2

Bit of an odd transition between the firebox sloping sides and the rounded top.

It's a shame the series is said to be nearing a conclusion. They ought to do a copy of Cock o' the North if Hornby can't / won't service demand for such models.

• Like 1

Looking at the model pic on the magazine front, it is a Trix original that has been used for the photo. It's much clearer in print rather than trying to zoom in on a photo that becomes pixelated. As has already been said, first time this has occurred in this series. Imagine the tension and anxiety if we had to go through this with every issue! Here's hoping the 47 is what has been shown and not replaced with the Hornby effort!

Cheers

Shane

Looking at the model pic on the magazine front, it is a Trix original that has been used for the photo. It's much clearer in print rather than trying to zoom in on a photo that becomes pixelated. As has already been said, first time this has occurred in this series. Imagine the tension and anxiety if we had to go through this with every issue! Here's hoping the 47 is what has been shown and not replaced with the Hornby effort!

Cheers

Shane

Is the LIMA model better than the Bachmann one?

OK I suppose this has been discussed somewhere....but if the A2 can change source model, perhaps there are more choices than Tri-ang Hornby, and LIMA....Bachmann? Heljan??

I don't think they changed the source model as such, just used a different model for the magazine pic. First time that this has occurred that I am aware of.

The Lima 47 has its merits but the Bachman model is generally better. The Lima version is a good basis for reworking as opposed to the Hornby model, which if used will be getting new cabs, bogies and underframe tanks. The Lima one will just have its tanks replaced, the rest is good enough. My concern is that I can't be certain that the model shown in the pic on the cover is an actual GBL version or a Lima model with the couplings removed. Only a fortnight to fret about it!

Cheers

Shane

Does it come with sticky backed plastic and some lolly pop sticks ? Could be a gold badge in it if you convert it according to Valerie !

Is there anyone out here who's already scratchbuilt one? i.e. is there anyone who can say "Here's one I made earlier"?

ive definitely gotta get meself some of these beauties, wasn't too keenon the trix version but this is a good starting point to make a good model - i think four should do.

gary

• Like 2