Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

only a few pics from yesterday, i've got some to post in the disused railways of the west midlands thread too though.....

starting in nuneaton, a pendo flies through the station

DSCF5620.jpg

my train arriving, 66849, 10 autoballasters and 5 rail carrying wagons of some sort

DSCF5623.jpg

car train heading the other way

DSCF5624.jpg

signal check at water orton, this passed by

DSCF5625.jpg

into bescot and on the depot for fuel

DSCF5642.jpg

then i departed for banbury, at washwood heath at another signal check the GBRf S Stock move was sat opposite, driven by our own 'marcus37'.

DSCF5648.jpg

running late he was routed out in front of me and i followed him all the way to dorridge where he went into the goods loop and i had my booked stop in the passenger loop, at my departure time i noticed the flashing tail light of his train leaving the loop in front of me which impressed me no end as marcus' train is 45mph max and i'm 60mph, so i followed him all the way to laemington where i was held in the centre road for a XC and chiltern to pass, as i aproached fenny compton i could see marcus' flashing tail light in the loop, finally, passed him at 60mph and gave him a merry toot as i did so, and on into banbury, only arriving 8 late, being as i knew the s-stock wasnt far behind i hung around and got a couple of pics of it, thing is the useless driver parked behind the station building so i couldnt get a decent shot, i dunno can't get the staff!!

bit of a blurry shot but here is my train about to leave after relief, 20 falcon wagons in tow

DSCF5652.jpg

as he pulled out this came the other way, our portbury to ratcliffe train!

DSCF5655.jpg

Arriva DVT

DSCF5657.jpg

crew swap on the 20s

DSCF5662.jpg

ended up giving marcus a lift home as he had missed the last train and we had a bit of a catch up en route!

• Like 12

Hi Jim

We had the tanks through this lunchtime, hauled by a 56.   He brought the whole train to a pretty abrupt stop between the signal box and bridge when bound for Derby, quite pleased cos I got to savour the 56 for couple of mins.  It was then off again to Derby.

It returned only about 2 hours later around 2.30pm, which I thought was unusual.??  But powered off up the hill towards the Potteries making lots of wonderful noise.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim

We had the tanks through this lunchtime, hauled by a 56.   He brought the whole train to a pretty abrupt stop between the signal box and bridge when bound for Derby, quite pleased cos I got to savour the 56 for couple of mins.  It was then off again to Derby.

It returned only about 2 hours later around 2.30pm, which I thought was unusual.??  But powered off up the hill towards the Potteries making lots of wonderful noise.

Bob.

problems north of crewe yesterday morning meant it didnt get to derby in time to be unloaded so it got there (after the loco had a trip to DRS gresty bridge) and had to come back to crewe for stabling, its heading back in the morning though with any luck, unfortunatly for me i've copped for working it north from crewe to carlisle this afternoon instead of road learning/refreshing hereford

• RMweb Gold

and a few from yesterday

nuneaton

153 about to head off to coventry

DSCF5664.jpg

another pendolino

DSCF5665.jpg

the car train again

DSCF5667.jpg

nice reverse cant on the track

DSCF5668.jpg

this passed by during a signal check at water orton (yesterdays freightliner train was waiting round the sorner on the sutton park line!)

DSCF5669.jpg

and off to bescot, into the down side yesterday, blurry shot as it was just going dark

DSCF5674.jpg

the train in the yard at 16:20

DSCF5683.jpg

DSCF5684.jpg

and 50 mins later

DSCF5686.jpg

then i moved over to the up engineers siding and collected my train which last night was the point carrying wagons, this runs as an X classification as its an exceptional load, basically there are places it can't run, thankfully not too many but the accompinied paperwork tells you where on your route you have to avoid (platform 2 at hatton for example)

DSCF5695.jpg

DSCF5699.jpg

and thats that.

on the sinfins later, crewe to carlisle

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It was reported passing Uttoxeter so all's well.

Edit :

It left Longton at 09:01, 155 late !

Stenson 09:35

It's not reporting on the realtime sites, happens occasionally, usually with STP / VSTP

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O42244/2013/11/29/advanced

Headcode is 6M65

The return, when it runs,

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O42268/2013/11/29/advanced

• RMweb Premium

Crikey! How does that affect work hours, you're not driving but does the clock still tick when you are waiting for the train you are relieving on?

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Premium

Crikey! How does that affect work hours, you're not driving but does the clock still tick when you are waiting for the train you are relieving on?

It varies a little between TOC's but technically he cant do more than 12 hours total shift time, this is the same on PW, brought in after the Hiden report aka, Clapham disaster. Got to have 12 hours rest between shifts also. These are the basics for safety critical work.

• RMweb Gold

Its a one off today, due to earlier problems, unusual to work 2 different trains over on the freight but i only booked on at 12 so well within my hours, im only working it from stoke to crewe so the guy on i can get back to brum a bit earlier, a driver who was booked to go pass from crewe back north is working it after me

I dont mind mucking in a bit to keep things moving to be honest, i should be home before 9 with any luck as i notice its on the move now from derby

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chaos at stoke earlier to add to the problems!

Failed train at wolves meant that some xc trains were running into stoke from the south and terminating, running out into the sidings and headin back south, i finally got back home at 20:30 so still not a long day really, a few days of now then back to it monday

A few phone pics from today...

573B6D06-C4B0-48BE-B2D0-5AF0C2F235CB.jpg

After relief in chirk the driver sets back into the factory

19D209E5-F2E2-4E5C-BDD7-B64F1CA08BC6.jpg

At chirk the old glyn valley platfrom has been cleared a bit

39A73289-F520-43F3-9C70-E84CE794F23B.jpg

Then it got dark and the iphone battery died!

• Like 8

I thought I recognised the face in the 56 on the Chester line today, I was sat at the Texaco garage in Wardle with a camera ready for the picture and the bleeding thing wouldn't take the shot. I was in my brown van with my learner driver who was impressed with the load of trees you were hauling behind you. He said the loco sounds good and proper.......

Mathew

• Like 1

He said the loco sounds good and proper.......

Mathew

Sounded just as awesome passing through Uttoxeter on the tanks earlier this week.

Pictures really great Jim.....thanks for taking the time to post........I'm sure they are really appreciated by everyone.

Bob

Edited by 250BOB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know this is useless info but you (Big Jim), have a 'stunt double' who was at Retford yesterday when Bittern stopped for a drink. You would have been impressed with the load 66090 (I know, sorry - a 66)  62OS Scunny/ Dollands Moor had in tow as it was looped in P1 just after Bittern left. It had about 25 continental flats with 4 huge steel lumps on each section (8 per wagon?) That must have been some weight especially with Gamston Bank ahead following a standing start at 36E . Anyone know where this steel ends up?

Why this post, well I had to refrain from asking this chap several times if he was 'Big Jim' and it obviously wasn't :D  

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

you (Big Jim), have a 'stunt double'

yep, and here he is.....

image-17.jpg

actually my wife has 'a thing' for will mellor off 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps, there was one episode where gaz looks into the future and is over weight, when it came on both me and my wife both couldn't stop laughing as we both said at the same time "oh my god, its me!"

image-18.jpg

at least i know if i lose quite a lot of weight (probably over 1/2 my body weight) i'd look like will mellor!!

• Like 1

I know this is useless info but you (Big Jim), have a 'stunt double' who was at Retford yesterday when Bittern stopped for a drink. You would have been impressed with the load 66090 (I know, sorry - a 66)  62OS Scunny/ Dollands Moor had in tow as it was looped in P1 just after Bittern left. It had about 25 continental flats with 4 huge steel lumps on each section (8 per wagon?) That must have been some weight especially with Gamston Bank ahead following a standing start at 36E . Anyone know where this steel ends up?

Why this post, well I had to refrain from asking this chap several times if he was 'Big Jim' and it obviously wasn't :D  

P

It runs to Ebange, near the French/Luxembourg border, where it's rolled into rail- during the construction of CTRL, some of this rail found its way back to Kent and Essex. Gross weight is about 1650 tonnes, the maximum allowed for two Class 92s through the Channel Tunnel.