Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

With DBS sending the 92s off to foreign lands, it's nice to see the 90s resurrected from almost extinct to working for a living. Do the car carrying trains still run as class 4/80mph? If so, I think with 10,000hp up front that would have no problem keeping sectional times.

• Like 2

With DBS sending the 92s off to foreign lands, it's nice to see the 90s resurrected from almost extinct to working for a living. Do the car carrying trains still run as class 4/80mph? If so, I think with 10,000hp up front that would have no problem keeping sectional times.

Unless a lot of wheels have been reprofiled, I suspect they now run as Class 6 services; the various GEFCO and STVA car carriers are/were restricted to 100kph/62mph on Network Rail, despite being allowed to run at 120kph/75mph on the Continent. Curiously, the converse applied with Cartic-4s, deemed fit for 75 mph in the UK but only 100 kph on Continental metals. 

A similar situation, but with an even greater differential, applies to the Transfesa flats used for Ford traffic. (120 kph/45 mph)

You don't need a run at St Andrews. When I used to work the Langley tanks with 29 on we relieved it at the old relieving point outside Saltley and made it up there ok. Mind you I did only once get slower and slower under the footy ground and had to get a banker up over to Small heath.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You don't need a run at St Andrews. When I used to work the Langley tanks with 29 on we relieved it at the old relieving point outside Saltley and made it up there ok. Mind you I did only once get slower and slower under the footy ground and had to get a banker up over to Small heath.

Thats the problem, no banker anymore if it does come to a stop so better to have a run at it, must admit 047 went over the top better than 085

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from tonight, did a possession train at oxford north jn, started at hinksey where 50% of colas 70 fleet were ready to head off on various trains (2 more out of sight)

ECE71574-DBD9-4BF7-B744-04D871722BBC.jpg

The view from the window at hinksey

AF2564B8-8936-46E9-B3F1-1E7AA4A3CAD0.jpg

Sat at oxford north jn waiting to move in the possession, i didnt actually move my train, the other train moved first to be unloaded and by the time it was time for mine to move i'd got relief!

1D644267-910D-4F21-A389-D2CA1993BAAC.jpg

• Like 18

The previous weekend planning had made a mistake. Two engineering trains where booked to run from Birmingham. The first was to come to a stand at OX7 signal at Wolvercote and have the possession taken around it. The second train was booked to follow it all the way and yet was booked to have the possession taken around it at a signal south of Wolvercote (OX15 if I remember correctly)! Fortunately the signalmen had picked up on this and before I arrived at Banbury South (having already done 4 hours at the North) it had been arranged for the first train to be looped at Aynho for the second to pass it which I duly did. Some time later I had the train delay attribution clerk phone up wanting to know about the delay on the first engineering train. A slightly surreal conversation followed with me finding great difficulty in trying to make him understand that if we had let the trains run in their booked order it would have screwed up the engineering work which was their whole reason for running and him being adamant that we should not have looped the train as it was not booked to be looped and now it had thrown up a delay. Sometimes in this job I find the will to live slowly slipping away from me!

• RMweb Gold

Sound a bit like the engineers job a had a few months back where it was important that i left bescot before an ews possession train as he was booked to have a possession take round him on the single line between coventry and leamington, the mistake of him departing first iwas picked up by bescot pic and after a few calls to NR control i left first only to be looped at international and the ews train pass me toward coventry

Luckily he was only a short train so was aboe to be looped at kenilworth so i could pass him again but not before i picked up a 30 odd minute delay

• Like 1

Nice photos there Jim. I saw one of the Colas 70s going into Eastleigh works a few days ago and then it when into the stabling loops by platform 3.

Keep the photos coming and all the best,

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold

a few from today, changing trains in rugeley trent valley, lashing it down when i got there

northbound pendolino
DSCF0476.jpg

southbound voyager
DSCF0477.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

crewe bound 350 with the birmingham service in the background, i caught that to walsall before heading back to rugeley 
DSCF0481.jpg

pendolino
DSCF0483.jpg

ECS voyager to Chester
DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

by the time i got to walsall and back it had stopped raining heavily, had 20 mins to wait for the train back to crewe via stoke, couple of other bits and bobs passing through

tamper thing
DSCF0486.jpg

pendolino
DSCF0487.jpg

colas tamper (with the new logos on the side)
DSCF0489.jpg

and a 350, crewe to willesden
DSCF0491.jpg

on the baglan logs tomorrow then back to road learning cannock later in the week

• Like 16

Any pics of the new Helmet Logo Jim?

Pete

I took a photo of the new colas rail helmet logo of Colas Rail Tamper DR73108 as the nameplate drew my attention when it came into Warrington on Sunday morning.  It was named "TIGER".  I will share a couple of photos if Jim doesn't mind, but I am sure he can sort some good photos.

• RMweb Gold

Any pics of the new Helmet Logo Jim?

Pete

Nothing other than whats on the side of 60047 in the pics above

I took a photo of the new colas rail helmet logo of Colas Rail Tamper DR73108 as the nameplate drew my attention when it came into Warrington on Sunday morning.  It was named "TIGER".  I will share a couple of photos if Jim doesn't mind, but I am sure he can sort some good photos.

There is a tamper/track machine pics thread somewhere

Nothing other than whats on the side of 60047 in the pics above

There is a tamper/track machine pics thread somewhere

Posted a few photos on the "Network Rails track machine Tampers etc" of the new logo.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94572-network-rails-track-machines-tampers-ect/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1953164

Not sure if I've got the link right.

• Like 5

Got to say that the photo of the pendo going away in the rain is beautiful. The pair of pics of the voyagers also. I have found taking pics in that kind of rain always difficult, but as you have shown, when done right, the effect is dramatic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Noticed a pair of Colas 70's in Donny last night along with a 56. One of the 70's was 804, the other might have been 803 but I'm not sure.