Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

in his earlier days...Kal used to trouble shoot all sorts of problems.

He had the classic, a woman ringing on her mobile to complain her pc would not switch on.....when there was no electricity in the company due to a blackout......he told her to repack the pc and give it back (story much longer and makes a good joke).....and only got a small reprimand....I think his boss when he heard probably could not stop laughing...

The most unusual one was when i worked in the city and our company had a regular outage problem. It was driving our IT ballistic.  We had updated the whole server room just about everything was completely replaced.....then we went to Xmas lunch and Kal joined us (he worked for another firm not too far away) but on speaking to our guys....he realised it was a weird case.......the lift was the issue......well moving the lift was a no no....(If I remember correctly the warm on the south wall was also a factor) .so we shifted the server room again well away and it solved the problem. My boss our IT director was immensely impressed, and as Kal was able to point out that the various factors already had a history within the US IT community,  they had a good case to put to our Board for yet another move...albeit no new equipment..... they had the room moved a few weeks later...over a weekend so no office downtime......and no more outages before I left the company. My brownie points went through the roof. :sungum:

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just watch out for the ID Ten T error...

we used to write PEBCAK  on fault tickets...

(Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

It's a bit like the medical term NFN...

:D

• RMweb Gold

in his earlier days...Kal used to trouble shoot all sorts of problems.

He had the classic, a woman ringing on her mobile to complain her pc would not switch on.....when there was no electricity in the company due to a blackout......he told her to repack the pc and give it back (story much longer and makes a good joke).....and only got a small reprimand....I think his boss when he heard probably could not stop laughing...

Yep, that one's a classic, much quoted.

The most unusual one was when i worked in the city and our company had a regular outage problem. It was driving our IT ballistic.  We had updated the whole server room just about everything was completely replaced.....then we went to Xmas lunch and Kal joined us (he worked for another firm not too far away) but on speaking to our guys....he realised it was a weird case.......the lift was the issue......well moving the lift was a no no....(If I remember correctly the warm on the south wall was also a factor) .so we shifted the server room again well away and it solved the problem. My boss our IT director was immensely impressed, and as Kal was able to point out that the various factors already had a history within the US IT community,  they had a good case to put to our Board for yet another move...albeit no new equipment..... they had the room moved a few weeks later...over a weekend so no office downtime......and no more outages before I left the company. My brownie points went through the roof. :sungum:

Most obscure fault I've had to deal with was where we had two sites which had a microwave data link between them - about 4 miles distance.

At regular intervals it used to throw a fault, and no-one could work out why. It used to happen only once a month, on the second Tuesday, always.

We eventually tracked it down...

The local bus company ran a service on a road which crossed the path of the microwave link, and on second Tuesdays they used a double decker bus on that route, but a single decker at all other times. The road wasn't a major route, so large lorries never used it. The bus was just tall enough to disrupt the microwave link.

Solution: we extended the masts at both sites and the problem went away...

• Like 2

You could solve the problem with a Glebe Street [stoke-on-Trent...  Stoke Stn] solution..............................

Solution: we extended the masts at both sites and the problem went away...

14669881492_eb161dc76c_z.jpg
Glebe St bridge by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This one has had Double and Single Deckers for generations    ....................   and it has more room than it did when I used to be driven under it every weekend, as a kid  .....    :O

OK during the graffiti run....my PM box got chocker block with all the chat on what I was doing...

........so if any one other than RSLR still needs to be done pls shout......before I shut up shop.

There's no prize for guessing this one!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2760_143208.jpgrmweb2497wall

RSLR is a serious Star Trek fan.

med_gallery_17883_2760_567048.jpgrmweb2498wall343

So as this is his spot....I have used the Str Trek logo for his name

med_gallery_17883_2760_644977.jpgrmweb2499wall344

• Like 4

I also give in and gave Al some pupils....

med_gallery_17883_2760_708812.jpgrmweb2503wall348

the thing you might realise about me, is if i have paint on my brush the temptation to just touch something...anything...up is irresistible.

med_gallery_17883_2760_257278.jpgrmweb2504wall349

med_gallery_17883_2760_888998.jpgrmweb2505wall350

so unless people want his 'lines' added he is basically finished.

He has to groves where he smiles and two long dimples. But the head angle does not lend itself, especially as I had to fit in the

Live Long and Propser......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Looks like Spock to me, so the original series.

My youngest is a Star Trek fan and has just finished watching all of them, every episode, every series.  Took him a few months though.

• Like 2

Keep reminding me    ................................

if i have paint on my brush the temptation to just touch something...anything... up is irresistible.

................................    to check the contents of your hands when next in proximity  ...............................    :O  ........   :jester:

PS - not sure which meaning to take  ...   but either will do    .....   

• RMweb Premium

only now Kal does not need one of the spares 66s for the Medite....I suspect he has already allocated it for something else. How Mick / Newbryford manages all the grooves will need to be investigated. I wonder if he specified it on his yellow thread.....must dash.......

Microsol, soft brush and a gentle hand.

I have a DBS 66 and 67 to do soon that have lots of grooves - maybe I'll have one at Wrecrail 2 to do..........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You could solve the problem with a Glebe Street [stoke-on-Trent...  Stoke Stn] solution..............................

14669881492_eb161dc76c_z.jpg

Glebe St bridge by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This one has had Double and Single Deckers for generations    ....................   and it has more room than it did when I used to be driven under it every weekend, as a kid  .....    :O

Ah, that reminds me of a similar bridge in Derby that runs under the ring road, we used to use it on emergencies as a short cut to get from the Willow Row Ambulance Station onto the road to Chaddesden without getting snarled up in traffic on the pentagon island. Unfortunately, although the Ford Transit and Renault ambulances used to fit under it, when we got the shiny new Mercedes Sprinters, they were about 6 inches too tall...

Thankfully I wasn't on the crew who found that out the hard way...

• Like 1

well except for the Dover Shark.....I believe the wall is just about all wrapped up.....so I'll sort him out.......put the bits back......

then see about weather the remaining shiny rails......whilst try to NOT wreck the points....other Kal will be unimpressed.

Then consider clearing a spot in the garage and avoid the hot loft....open the garage doors and windows.....

and consider weathering some bogies.....then hunt around for other peoples ideas...that are worth ripping off copying.......

hmmmmm........Sasquatchs wagons and Newbryford's yellow......next stop......then probably Marcus37s reference 

and a few other friends for ideas..... :sungum:

• Like 4

Typical......

We were at DEMU 2014 ...and saw these excellent etched brass speed restriction signs kit by Eckon...

I just went to use them.....and I need a FIVE...5 5 5 5 5 ......mile and there isn't one.......aaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!

med_gallery_17883_2760_352214.jpgrmweb2507wall352

Yes I could butcher  :butcher:  a 15 or 25 or a 35.....but I am sure to want those some where else.....and I thought I had a quick fix...

cit pole ...add arrow...add five.....some black and then white or yellow paint (not certain when to use white or when to use yellow yet)

but it is back to the ....drawing board......or hack one and hope i can stop it flapping a round  :butcher:  :butcher:  :butcher:

edit = Oh can anyone tell me what the C is for off the top of their head????

Edited by Jaz

Those are the ones  .......

now my only problem is ....ow do they know what the restriction is!!!!!!

.....    with the number on the post [yellow most likely]    .........

The Driver sees the Number on a post and slows down, ready for the start of the restriction [C - black on white]  he continues at the restricted speed until he sees the end of the restriction [T - black on white]

[unless he is called Julian - in which case he crashes straight on until he sees the actual restriction and then has to slap the brakes on FULL - which in turn puts flat tyres on the loco - which make a dreadful "Clunk" all the way back to the Yard  .....      :O  :O   .............................    ............................   and a bo77ocking!!!!!   :nono:  :nono:

so you see the speed sign.....as an advance warning?

with the C set behind it.....then once so a hazard is negotiated the T....and then you resume a 'normal'? speed or is a new speed displayed?