Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

That's the one Mick. I couldn't find it at the time but did later and gave it a bump.

That's the one Mick. I couldn't find it at the time but did later and gave it a bump.

It's a sad fact of life that the one with the graffiti is the most interesting. Otherwise it is a  soulless little grey box (albeit with a tall mast next to it). However, some great reference, and I'll try to avoid the non railway version. Or remember to point it out and ask when I get around to making one.

FYI a similar type of building has popped up instead of the old signal box nearby us which has been reduced to rubble and replaced with something very similar., i.e. a soulless grey box.  I feel sad every time I go past. With the older items you knew a Signal Box was a signal box, and a plate layers was that, things were distinguishable.

Nowadays I daresay at first glance you can mistake a GSMR for a modern signal box quite easily.A bit soulless.

edited as my meaning wasn't clear.

Edited by Jaz

While we are all tidy, Kalborough is looking a bit like a ghost town.....but I will be taking a LOT of pictures and even videos of moving locos and trains over the weekend.

For now....

med_gallery_17883_2760_53881.jpgrmweb1792kalboro1

med_gallery_17883_2760_622428.jpgrmweb1793kalboro2

med_gallery_17883_2760_338718.jpgrmweb1794kalboro3

The biggest thing we need to address is the signals!!!! Plus some lights for the station platform.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

It's a sad fact of life that the one with the graffiti is the most interesting. A soulless little grey box. However, some great reference, and I'll try to avoid the non railway version. Or remember to point it out and ask when I get around to making one.

FYI the old signal box nearby has been reduced to rubble and replaced with something very similar. I feel sad every time I go past.

Unsure which signal box you mean Jaz. I don't know of any boxes that have been demolished just to put a mast up. Not to say thet haven't used a "brown field" site.

While we are all tidy, Kalborough is looking a bit like a ghost town.....but I will be taking a LOT of pictures and even videos of moving locos and trains over the weekend.

For now....

med_gallery_17883_2760_53881.jpgrmweb1792kalboro1

med_gallery_17883_2760_622428.jpgrmweb1793kalboro2

med_gallery_17883_2760_338718.jpgrmweb1794kalboro3

The biggest thing we need to address is the signals!!!! Plus some lights for the station platform.

May I..............suggest,..................you use these, for now                address the signals!!!! 

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

Unsure which signal box you mean Jaz. I don't know of any boxes that have been demolished just to put a mast up. Not to say thet haven't used a "brown field" site.

No it was my bad, I HAVE edited the post. I meant to say I thought it sad that those GSMRs even with the posts are not much different to the modern boxy signal boxes. In time bygone it was reasonably easy to tell things apart, nowadays all grey boxes. SAD.

Edited by Jaz

Goathlands present day heritage / preservation ......filming in 1960s (and a touch of 1970s) and present day hence Harry Potter.

Kalborough present day main line

Sheffield Park present day heritage / preservation .....filming in the 1980s......

Each station has a timeline in Heritage ....but preservation for present day.

Zollyeood heights present day ...re opened airfield for helipad use....with special open days and re enactments

We like to put anything on the layout, and justify it Hehe...... :jester:

• Like 3

Running round the new loft....

Goathland heritage runs into.....

Sheffield Park......yeah we now NYMR into the Bluebell?. BUT we may shunt Sheffield Park as we can fit in a second NYMR station.

After that there is a thin cross over point perfect for a viaduct...and perhaps a DENT...nothing here just dreams

at the moment the tracks curve back into the new loft and on the top level a station which is yet to be confirmed Skaldedale Regis is sat there at the moment.

on the bottom level Kalbrough East

Then on the top level you come to Kalborough Union Station

and on the bottom you come out under the Union station into the main Kalborough station which is at present an art deco area.

When you leave Kalborough you go underneath

Port Lynn Town and Zollywood Heights RAF,

Zollywood Heights is above AND behind Port Lynn Cove

Then you go under Hogwarts and Hogsmeade where you come out of the tunnel on Heartbeat before flowing back to Goathland Station. Overall run in excess of 100ft.

Once Marcus37 has been and we rip the connection back out, Kal will be going into the old loft

Serious contenders for space include:

Blackpool.....so we have trams and illuminations and water features...but possibly NO trains  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Dawlish can comfortably run up one side if we want more seaside

But we fancy some....

canal

harbour...so we can add some big air fix boats

proper area for RAF (if the RAF moves we can shunt Hogsmead and Hogwarts further around allowing us to add the shops for Heartbeat.

hillside for a decent sized farm

a coal mining area, and terraces on a hillside

and several small industrial areas....mining, gas, water works, brewery, basically if Hornby or Bachmann have made it we want to consider it.

There may be at least one station area that is generic so we can periodically swop in and out different stations

There may be at least one industrial area that is generic so we can periodically swop in and out different scenery.

And Kal wants it to be TWO levels at least 30cm apart preferably at least 45cm to incorporate fiddle yards and some basic scenery...a derelict...a windmill....

Basically we could be a while. That is why we are not called Kalborough nor Goathland but ARBORETUM VALLEY. Land either side water along the centre and trees.  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 2

It's just the most awesome model railway!

I had a dream about you two the other night. Your house is massive and you were showing us around the lofts. Outside you had a full blown Model Railway Expo going on and the place was packed.

Kal's not a biker is he? cos he was wearing an old leather jacket and a bandana :)

It's just the most awesome model railway!

I had a dream about you two the other night. Your house is massive and you were showing us around the lofts. Outside you had a full blown Model Railway Expo going on and the place was packed.

Kal's not a biker is he? cos he was wearing an old leather jacket and a bandana :)

He used to ride and he had black leathers but usually wore red and white paddock boots and a white with black and red stripes set of racing leathers ...and a dayglo orange helmet. But I like your dream LOL. 

• RMweb Gold

Jaz,

Now, now.  Model Railways are about compromise.  About putting in what you really want and making hard decisions about what you leave out.  It must be frustrating having so much space, surely you want to rip it all up and transfer it to a six foot shelf in the back room!  :jester:

Seriously it sounds amazing.  I look forward to seeing it develop.

What depresses me is that I'm not just thinking of downsizing, I'm coming to the realisation that with our current house in its current configuration and use I will not even have space for a shunting plank :(

Have you room for a board like at your dads which hinges against the wall but can swing down? Or can you build a pulley system one that you lower down onto say a bed but at night goes back up. I don't thing DCC would be easy but a bog stand electric and some scenery might be possible. Or else it means jointing a club, but you have a young family. 

PERHAPS, a hinges Z board? with a few bits of lift off PIR that can be stored in boxes, with their scenic counterparts. Really useful boxes say? you can try a small exhibition style. fold away legs.

I think there is always a way and a means.

At the moment I'm afraid not, Jaz.  Believe me I've looked & there is no affordable solution.

I have one possible option which is to run a circuit round the garden on trestles, but even that is probably out of reach financially.

At the moment I'm afraid not, Jaz.  Believe me I've looked & there is no affordable solution.

I have one possible option which is to run a circuit round the garden on trestles, but even that is probably out of reach financially.

would your place of work....allow one as a project...extra curricular???? you work on it at home you store it and set it up  there???

I'm sure a golden tongued person could express the benefits of this. :sungum:

We could all help u draw up a pros and cons, and from there a 'how to sell it' If it was built like a small exhibition table...I think you could sell the merits.

either that or it's a bunker under the garden.....man cave style......you'll have to pop the excess soil in some gym trousers with string at the ankles and as you walk to work carefully distribute the soil.

The hard bit...stopping the wife from finding out about it...and her then finding a reason why she needs it more than you do   :jester:

ok boys.(edited to acknowledge Southern42)...get your thinking hats on.....this man deserves a little bit of heaven.....preferable 00. But maybe he needs to miniaturise.

Answers on a post card....because apparently at the moment that is about all the space he has to work with... (apologies....C&WR..... laughing with you not at you)  :butcher: ......... :jester:

Edited by Jaz

plank on top of kitchen units? lift up and down as required?

roll out from under bed?

store on top of wardrobe?

about now I think Jcredfer is commiserating, at least he has a conservatory for the better weather.

ooooh oooooh a plastic covered window box  :sungum: on the first floor defying thieves. You may need a little bit of camouflage.......but it is not IN the house but with a window open you can power it and pop buildings and trains on it. Perhaps extend it to a second window.....heath robinson rules ok

edited = some acrylic sheet ...some clear sealer......finances permitting.....paint it to look like window box and pop a few plastic flowers on top.

re edited....think i am losing the plot...... going to go clean the kitchen

Edited by Jaz