Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modern Image - is the phrase outdated?

• RMweb Premium

Recently, I voted it the term "Modern Image" into the depths of Room 101. It's a misleading description that is  often used to encompass anything post-1955 that doesn't have a chimney on it. As the diesel age has been well upon us for nearly 60 years, surely the time has come to move on?

The recent DEMU magazine "Update" carries a piece by fellow modeller Clive Mortimore appealing for the banishment of the phrase "modern image" and prompting a discussion there and on the DEMU forum. However, as diesel and electric modellers, we already use terms such as "transition era" for steam/diesel, 1960's, "BR blue" for the Corporate 1970's, "Sectorisation" for 1980's,"post-privatisation" for the mid 1990's and beyond, so debating the issue there is like preaching to the converted.

We already have "pre-war LMS", "pre-grouping NER",  for examples that are quite convenient, so what can we do to make the various diesel (and electric) eras more defined?

PLEASE NOTE: this is not a place to air the diesel v steam debate.

Cheers,

Mick

To be honest I rarely see the phrase in use nowadays (but I don't read any magazines so it may still be used there).

When it does crop up it is normally a short sighted view such as "...that exhibition had too many modern image layouts for my liking". This remark can be left in the pile of "...too many steam era layouts" or "...too many branch line termini". All these statements bear too much relevance to the type of trains on a layout and not enough to the skills shown by the modeller in their particular field whether it be scenery, rolling stock or smoothness of running.

I would guess that "modern image" is not being used anyone under the age of 40 as they already know that not all diesels and electrics can be grouped under one title.

However, just as some people insist on degrading all steam locomotives as kettles there will remain people who wish to group anything after 1968 as modern image. For both these statements it is the individual's choice but to me it merely accentuates their ignorance.

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

Before we banish "Modern Image" - we need a substitute, how about the following?

1950s Modernisation Plan diesels

1960s Transition Era

1970s Rail Blue

1980s Sectorisation

1990s Early Privatisation

2000s First Franchise

2010s Second Franchise?

On the other hand - lets just give the decade!

Please let's not adopt the ambiguous "Epochs" used for Continental models!

Edited by Welly
  • Like 5

Brilliant idea - Just the period then the subject - e.g. '1960s Woodhead' or 'Present Day North-West Australia' - 'Says it all!

Just get rid of that misleading and condescending term 'Modern Image'

:-)

Edited by Horizontal

I'm just the right age to have grown up with the phrase "Modern Image" used to describe any layout in Railway Modeller, MRC etc that didn't exclusively feature kettles. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say, and I find myself using the term often. To me "Modern Image" describes a layout featuring green or blue diesels and "Contemporary" is a phrase I've taken to mean anything post-privatisation with their bright play school vinyl graphics. My ignorance has now been well and truly accentuated... :no:

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 1

I vote for

Transition

Blue diesel

Sectorisation

Early Privatisation

Privatisation first and second are blurred as they did not all end and start at the same time and the east coast main line has had several. 

​Modern image could be used for the last 5yrs and would roll forward each year. To me modern image is Privatised railway scene.

• RMweb Premium

​Modern image could be used for the last 5yrs and would roll forward each year. To me modern image is Privatised railway scene.

The plan is to drop "modern image". I prefer "contemporary" as in the last few years to present. Remembering of course that at one time BR blue was contemporary!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

All terms have their day. ISTR an architectural style called "moderne", popular between the wars. Art Nouveau is now anything but. Modern Image to me is Cyril Freezer talking about new station buildings and infrastructure on WCML as the overhead wires moved south. As such it has a very clear time-frame - early '60s. Leave it there.

• Like 1

The plan is to drop "modern image". I prefer "contemporary" as in the last few years to present. Remembering of course that at one time BR blue was contemporary!

Cheers,

Mick

I don't think you can have a plan for what other people say.  

You are free not to use a term if you don't like it, and to use something else. That's your personal choice . But others are free to use the terms they wish.

It strikes me this thread is not about what terms those posting  use but is intended as a message to others as to what you think those others should say, or be allowed to say.....

"

Post-privatisation seems a conveniently clear and precise term for the post BR era , and it seems to have a pretty wide currency . It would be fair comment to say that "modern image" is associated with BR - it referred to the Corporate Image launched in the mid 60s - and therefore models of the privatised railway are not "modern image"

All terms have their day. ISTR an architectural style called "moderne", popular between the wars. Art Nouveau is now anything but. Modern Image to me is Cyril Freezer talking about new station buildings and infrastructure on WCML as the overhead wires moved south. As such it has a very clear time-frame - early '60s. Leave it there.

If that's the case, given that we are now seeing many classic GWR features being swept away as the wires move westwards, maybe the term should be reintroduced!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think you can have a plan for what other people say.  

You are free not to use a term if you don't like it, and to use something else. That's your personal choice . But others are free to use the terms they wish.

It strikes me this thread is not about what terms those posting  use but is intended as a message to others as to what you think those others should say, or be allowed to say.....

"

Not at all - if that's the way it's come across, then I apologise.

As Horizontal mentioned above (and also in my first post), it's a misleading description.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Let's dump the term completely. It's meaningless anyway these days.

D&E (Diesel & Electric) does the job much better.

steve

But I'm just about to start hacking a Hornby Tornado.................. there goes my membership to DEMU!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Let's dump the term completely. It's meaningless anyway these days.

D&E (Diesel & Electric) does the job much better.

But D&E covers a period of not less than 45 years and counting. Within that broad term are several clearly different eras, including BR blue, Sectors and Post-privatisation. Indistinct, I suggest.

• Like 1

I say I model the steam era, an all-enveloping phrase that covers 1830s to 1968. If pressed I add the mid-1950s. Seemples! If a bloke says he is 'modern image', is it so hard to ask him what period?  It is pointless RMweb members unilaterally attempting to change things..... How do they plan to inform the rest of the universe who have never even heard of this place?

• RMweb Premium

It would be fair comment to say that "modern image" is associated with BR - it referred to the Corporate Image launched in the mid 60s - and therefore models of the privatised railway are not "modern image"

I completely agree with you, but there is still a perception that most diesel (and electric) layouts are "modern image" and this simply isn't the case.

As Ian says above "modern image" is an era in it's own right.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I completely agree with you, but there is still a perception that every diesel layout is "modern image" and this simply isn't the case.

As Ian says above "modern image" is an era in it's own right.

Cheers,

Mick

What about electric layouts?

Shildon-Newport anyone?  Tyneside electrics (someone needs to build and use those nice Judith Edge etched kits for EB1 and EF1)  

• Like 1

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

I agree contemporary would be a better phrase, but has a similar issue and could miss lead. today's, modern, contemporary, current scene are all restrictive and can be misleading in the future.

If we want to say anything, then all that is needed is the time and place.

Thus:

Mid 1930s WCML = some remaining LNWR classes, Fowler LMS and new Stanier types

Late 1960s South Wales = mixture of diesel electrics and hydraulics

Early 1980s ECML = Deltics and blue/grey HSTs

Edited by Western Sunset

The problem with vague descriptive words like 'contemporary' is that they lose their relevance. What is contemporary now no longer is in 10-20 years' time.

As others have mentioned, epochs (or eras as Bachmann refers) may be more useful as they may be defined by a range of years.

Edited by truffy

I am only 17 and I have just started to get into railway modelling but right from the beginning i have wanted to do a Preserved railway line I love steam locomotives but I have grown up With diesel Locos (ok mostly 158s and 185 being on the scarborough - york line) but I have gone for the Best of both worlds so to speak.