Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

I bought 4 the other day, while it is frustrating there are the errors, Brian Kirby has show they are fixable in the main so I will be getting the razor saw to the chassis when I get 5 minutes.

Indeed I went to Hamleys on the last Saturday before Christmas (do I need my head examined?) to procur a trial Blue Grey TSO.

Now followed up by a BSO.

Can anybody advise if there are any major external differences between a Mk2d and Mk2e BSO?

Taking in-to account that the Mk2e BSO has the deep drop light to the doors.

As I was contemplating painting the gangway doors red and renumbering as appropriate to create an East Coast Mk2d BSO for my mid to late seventies Pullman set.

Edited by jonathan452

Vents and underframe I think are the place to start.

In other news, I may (stress may) be acquiring some Hornby RR 2Es to strip for parts.  Will keep the thread's followers updated if this initiative kicks out spare bodyshells etc.

I am sure I have asked this question before but I couldn't find it when I serched.

I am thinking of getting a Hornby MK2e but I am not sure if these coaches ran in the Euston - Holyhead trains. 

I might be better to wait for the Bachmann MK2fs.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I respect the informed opinions of many posters here.  

As a direct result I shall be waiting for the Bachmann releases rather than adding to my Hornby rakes.

I don't run air-cons all that often but I do have vacancies for a handful more.  They'll run with the Airby ones which isn't ideal but I can't justify investing in a whole new rake in one go.  Possibly over time.

I am sure I have asked this question before but I couldn't find it when I serched.

I am thinking of getting a Hornby MK2e but I am not sure if these coaches ran in the Euston - Holyhead trains. 

I might be better to wait for the Bachmann MK2fs.

Cheers Peter.

Most probably a mixture of Mk2e's and Mk2f's until the advent of fixed formations on the WCML. Then mainly Mk2f's until the introduction of the HST's.

Most probably a mixture of Mk2e's and Mk2f's until the advent of fixed formations on the WCML. Then mainly Mk2f's until the introduction of the HST's.

Thanks for that,

I was pretty sure I had read on here somewhere that formations were mainly MK2es and fs.

Cheers Peter.

Certainly did Peter. A quick look through my coach shots show a number of 2Es . One I got a good shot of was M9507 because I think it was the first in the new livery. Passing Junction box on 7 Feb. 1985.

Merf.

post-1625-0-83141500-1419768098_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here are a few more pics, showing a TSO and BSO that i'm working on, including correction of the height of the grey panel and amendment of the roof vents. Both have been rebuilt below, using the same method as before, the BSO has the added complication of needing the two pairs of middle steps lowered.     BK

attachicon.gifCIMG4683.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG4684.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG4685.JPG

Hello Brian,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what modifications were required to correct the height? I've stripped some of my coaches down and cannot see anything obvious other than the glazing pips on the inside of the body shell.

Regards

Roy

I have a list of the first fixed formation sets on the WCML (includes Holyhead, Clansman & Sleeper sets) if you or anyone else is interested?

Yes please, I am modelling 1986-7 period but any info will be useful.

Many Thanks Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Correct Nov 1989

3 Wembley sets that might have made an appearance in North Wales (Note Mk1 RBR)

WB40  3277  3331  1880  5524  5530  5552  5591  5603  9502

WB41  3408  3318  1876  5512  5515  5584  5572  5502  9496

WB42  3296  3303  1805  5595  5508  5549  5526  5590  9450

The Mk1s 1805, 1876 and 1880 are RMBs rather than RBRs.

Hello Brian,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what modifications were required to correct the height? I've stripped some of my coaches down and cannot see anything obvious other than the glazing pips on the inside of the body shell.

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

I'm not sure if you're referring to the "height of the grey panel" or the overall body height? The former was corrected by repainting and re-lining, except the FO which is o.k. The latter has been reduced by lowering the body on to the main chassis section, but is corrected by enlarging the bogie pivot bosses (see photo), which allows more vertical movement of the bogies, and then packing is added to the bogie tops, which pushes the body back up. I got rid of the centre body clips, just relying on the four enlarged corner clips. If you add the sections of 40 thou to the chassis ends, the body will sit correctly on the chassis, fastenings/screws are optional. Don't forget to crop off the very tops of the interior by 2mm, to allow the body to drop down.

Cheers, Brian.

So, having read through this thread several times, I decided that as I need 2E's and not F's for Queen St ( apart from the DBSO's ), I would take the plunge and purchase a TSO in Blue/grey and an FO in Inter-City.

They arrived today and on taking the TSO out of the box, my first impression was that somethings definitely amiss here.........

I'm not going to go over ground that has already been covered, but the main fault that was niggling away at me was the main coach side windows. I got the trusty measuring stick out and became even further disconcerted, so I then opened one of my Extreme Etchings MK2D/E/F window frame etches.

These are spot on and I have already done a couple of Arifix 2D's with them:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/47960-airfix-mk2-d/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/47964-airfix-mk2-tso-in-scotrail-livery/

I know that the dimensions of these etches are correct and the original Airfix apertures are very close also ( not bad for a 40 year old model ), requiring great care in fitting the etches..........

Anyway, I then decided to offer up an etch to the new 2E and the Hornby appertures are way to small, both in length and height. It's already been covered that the blue band below the cantrail is too deep, but the top of the Hornby appertures line up just fine with the Airfix examples shown above.

This, therefore, means that the Hornby appertures are about 1mm to shallow in length and Height, exacerbating the grey below window height.

I know that it doesn't sound a lot, but it makes a huge visual impact and for me makes the whole coach look wrong. It will take a lot of filing down to get the Extreme etchings to fit correctly and for me, Hornby have let themselves badly down ( moulded grabrails on the ends of the coach is another gripe )

So it will be into the brake fluid for both these coaches and new window etches added ( the FO will come out of the shops in ScotRail ). I will post some fots once they are done to see what everyone thinks about how much visual improvement it makes - shouldn't have to do this on a brand new model though......

cheers for now

Andy

Interesting thoughts Andy, Ive noticed something wasn't quite right with these also, when removing the moulded detail, may have to get some EE frames myself, as you say it doesn't sound a lot, but when it makes such an impact on the livery application, then its worth doing so it looks correct!

NL

Correct Nov 1989

North Wales coast sets. Oxley Depot

OY20  3334  3414  10254  6022  6119  5962  6182  6172  6121  9505

OY21  3379  3399  10216  6035  5991  6168  6183  6042  6135  9539

OY22  3279  3390  10225  6175  6024  6037  6026  6162  6030  9516

OY23  3392  3350  10207  5988  6165  5914  5919  5996  6046  9507

Maintenance Sets

OY48  3351  3368  3416  3417  10204

OY49  3345  3387  3425  10249  82124

OY50  5918  6145  6015  6005  5983  5976  9525

OY51  6027  5911  6066  6117  6147  6179  9521

3 Wembley sets that might have made an appearance in North Wales (Note Mk1 RBR)

WB40  3277  3331  1880  5524  5530  5552  5591  5603  9502

WB41  3408  3318  1876  5512  5515  5584  5572  5502  9496

WB42  3296  3303  1805  5595  5508  5549  5526  5590  9450  

Thanks for taking the time to post up the list. Very useful.

Many thanks Peter.

Finally had a decent look at some of the InterCity Exec coaches today and the solebar issue is less noticeable on SOME coaches. It's almost as if they weren't clipped together properly.

Rails seem to have some of the full fat versions for £20 in a special offer which is reasonable value for money I think, but I still think I'm going to save my pennies for the Bachmann Mk2F. That means I'm unlikely to make even a single new purchase from Team Red Box this year.

Edited by sub39h

Mainly Mk2Es.

I thought only rivet counters like me thought about Mk2 coach types, rake consists and correct vehicle allocations. I must admit I did count the number of rivets on the Roevac vent pictures to get an approximate ratio between length and width. :secret:

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know quite a few modellers take great care to accurately represent the coaching stock as much as the locos hauling it and the entire scene they run through.  

I'm guilty of using a very generic approach and while I prefer WR stock numbers (with a W while they were still in use) I'm not slavishly renumbering or only assembling the exact formations.  Good representation will do for me.

I know quite a few modellers take great care to accurately represent the coaching stock as much as the locos hauling it and the entire scene they run through.  

I'm guilty of using a very generic approach and while I prefer WR stock numbers (with a W while they were still in use) I'm not slavishly renumbering or only assembling the exact formations.  Good representation will do for me.

On the first point, it's much the same for me.  Doing the research is part of the fun and for me, the correct vehicles is part of the hobby.

But where there's little information or doing things to a T would require getting more stock than necessary, I like to adopt a generic approach too.

Did the Midland lines out of St. Pancras use mainly 2E or 2Fs please, anyone ?

To a non-rivet counter, the Hornby ones look good but my Mk2A PVs are Bachmann and I prefer some uniformity of finish.

Thanks

Agree with Flood; Derby was synonymous with 45/1s and Mk2Es as a seventies Midland Rail Rover ticket holder.

Gwiwer/Garrett

I know exactly what you mean, some of the rakes we use on Kirkhill get used twice in the sequence when strictly speaking they should be different sets of coaching stock numbers.

What slightly confused me about Holmesfeldian's question was that he was not bothered about the Hornby Mk2E inaccuracies but was bothered about which stock should accurately be used. So long as the Bachmann Mk2F is a more accurate model I would have thought that the lack of a p/v box and different underframe fans would have been a minor inconvenience compared to Hornby's solebar issue, window inaccuracies, roof vents (cough, cough) and livery application.

• Like 1

Agree with Flood; Derby was synonymous with 45/1s and Mk2Es as a seventies Midland Rail Rover ticket holder.

Every photo I've seen have been exclusively Mk2Ds.  I'm building a rake using coach numbers corresponding to the Derby Etches Park depot (DY).  I take it both were used a lot, but I'm hesitant to get Mk2Es due to the inaccuracies.  They just bother me.