Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

We're off-topic, but i reckon it's a 2C First Open in your Tupton pic Robert. If it were a FK, this would be the corridor side, so where's the corridor handrail? Also, on this side i see three Roe-Vacs from the tank cover (FO), whereas four vents from the tank cover is FK. Can i see assorted junk in the windows(?), more likely FO for this side, plus the number looks short (M315x =FO), as opposed to M135xx =FK. It's still a tough call and they are difficult to distinguish from a distance, what do others think?   

Cheers, Brian.

We're off-topic, but i reckon it's a 2C First Open in your Tupton pic Robert. If it were a FK, this would be the corridor side, so where's the corridor handrail? Also, on this side i see three Roe-Vacs from the tank cover (FO), whereas four vents from the tank cover is FK. Can i see assorted junk in the windows(?), more likely FO for this side, plus the number looks short (M315x =FO), as opposed to M135xx =FK. It's still a tough call and they are difficult to distinguish from a distance, what do others think?   

Cheers, Brian.

Here is a close-up - I thought it was an FK but not totally sure:

15836350455_e328dd36f2.jpg45136_Tupton_Sheff-StP_30-8-79 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Getting back on topic, the leading one behind the 47 looks like a 2d and the second one is a 2e:

15651232257_6d57c29136.jpg47443_Tupton_Sheff-StP_30-8-79_crop by robertcwp, on Flickr

Yes Marks right, it is a FK after all, i can see the 4th vent now with the blow-up, whereas before it was lost too near the tank cover. Surprisingly, the corridor handrail is still not apparent, but what looked like junk on tables to me before, now looks like the corridor partition. There was one vent less on a 2C FO roof, you can see the difference in these pics.   

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-90265500-1416520218.jpg

post-298-0-72572200-1416520243.jpg

Definitely an FK. You can just make out the 4th vent near to the tank cover.

Looking at the carriage workings from c1980 several St Pancras-Sheffield sets were listed with a non-air-con FK at the London end.

The Midland Main Line sets from the period are a modelling challenge as some sets had converted restaurant firsts and many were a mix of the air-con types.  Most images show 2d firsts including the ones with Temperature Ltd air-con, like this set, which has what are probably 2e behind the buffet and 2c BFK.  Buffet is an ex-RF:

4281883995_cab000da92.jpg45119_nrChesterfield_1710-Sheff-StP_27-8-81 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Plate 60 in Profile of the Peaks shows the 1300 Sheffield-St Pancras on 6/5/78 formed FK 2d, FO 2e (or possibly Stones 2f), FO 2d (Temperature air-con), RBK, BSO, 3 TSO.  No door bumps on either 2d.  The 2e FO still has the bracket for the WR train destination boards, so it might be one transferred from the WR.  Not sure if any 2f had the brackets.

Edited by robertcwp

• RMweb Premium

At least Hornby have gone for hydraulic dampers instead of the friction type as fitted to various model manufacturers B4's.

I wonder if they'll be available as spares?

Cheers,

Mick

I may have done Lima a disservice in my Hornby 2E + Lima 2F comparison above, that Lima coach just wasn't sitting right. Here's another Lima conversion and this one lines up properly. Strangely, both Limas shown have the same bogies and wheels, i'll have to investigate?    Note the contrast in shades of Rail Blue, the coach on the right has been repainted in either Railmatch/Replica or Precision, i can't remember which!     BK

post-298-0-10062800-1416524624.jpg

post-298-0-89249100-1416524644.jpg

Edited by Brian Kirby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, Brian.

oops!!!!!!

Edited by MJI

oops!!!!!!

Yes my mistake, but in my defence guv, i didn't get to see the blow-up enlargement, until after Mark had cracked it. They are notoriously difficult to tell apart in a rake, look how similar the FK and FO model roofs are shown above. Robert blew it up even further for private consumption, and even then the handrail only starts to faintly appear. The 2F BSO model is one of two, using Airfix brake section built into a Lima 2F shell, built them over ten years ago, to match FOs and TSOs..    BK

At least Hornby have gone for hydraulic dampers instead of the friction type as fitted to various model manufacturers B4's.

Hi Mick,

I might have got this completely wrong, but as built, wasn't it just Mk2Fs that had B4s with hydraulic dampers?  Obviously a good number were retrofitted later.  Handy if you have a thing for air cons wearing Network Rail yellow!

Alun

I wonder if they'll be available as spares?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

I might have got this completely wrong, but as built, wasn't it just Mk2Fs that had B4s with hydraulic dampers?  Obviously a good number were retrofitted later.  Handy if you have a thing for air cons wearing Network Rail yellow!

Alun

Absolutely correct Alun. The Mk2E stock was built with friction damper bogies and didn't get hydraulic dampers until modded in the 2000s (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68714-mk2-air-conditioned-coaches-detail-differences/?p=1019022).That's another mistake by Hornby.

The thing is though, will Bachmann give their Mk2F stock friction dampers in error (as their B4 bogies already have that type)?

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Alun

If any Hornby 2E's come my way, yes, they're probably destined to have an odd window filled in and a repaint into something brighter than blue/grey! So hydraulic dampers are good for me......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes my mistake, but in my defence guv, i didn't get to see the blow-up enlargement, until after Mark had cracked it. They are notoriously difficult to tell apart in a rake, look how similar the FK and FO model roofs are shown above. Robert blew it up even further for private consumption, and even then the handrail only starts to faintly appear. The 2F BSO model is one of two, using Airfix brake section built into a Lima 2F shell, built them over ten years ago, to match FOs and TSOs..    BK

I edited mine to oops because I thought I saw tables through the windows!

...That's another mistake by Hornby.

The thing is though, will Bachmann give their Mk2F stock friction dampers in error (as their B4 bogies already have that type)?

Quite!  Bachmann aren't averse to footwear malfunctions, roughly half of my Mk1s have had bogie swaps, and if a B4 is close enough to a B5, then friction dampers might be close enough to hydraulic.  I'm surprised I missed the dampers until Mick's post, I had a look to see whether Temperature or Stones fans had been replicated then moved on to watching what Brian, et al, were doing with the shells and sole bars.

Scale wise, it's not my main area of interest any more, and having been blessed with 10 thumbs and no fingers, I will be keeping my Airby Mk2Ds for now.

Alun

The larger version is on my Flickr site.  Click on the image on this thread then when you reach the Flickr page (it might take two attempts before Yahoo will take you there) there is an arrow at the bottom right which will enable you to view all sizes.

From the Rails photo of the Swallow liveried coaches it looks like the orange door lights are printed on and not a tooling variation which means they look very poor and another disappointment.

This is the reverse of the Mk3s where these are moulded on and simply overpainted with body colour on the earlier liveried versions which didn't carry central door locking. However it's easier to add that relief to a printed door light on the Mk2e than try to cleanly remove it and patch paint a Mk3 so all is not lost in that respect.

But for a newly tooled model in 2014 I'm not sure this is good enough (and that's putting the many more serious issues highlighted in this thread aside for the moment).

Edited by deltic79