Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Here is pic of 60539 with modified smokbox door (number lowered to top hinge & top lamp iron lowered.

Cheers

Ian H

Finished loco, tender top painted green, lining on cylinders removed, double chimney fitted, lowered smokebox numberplate & lamp iron, Oh ! & finally weathered!!!

Cheers

Ian H

post-4401-020407400 1290513234_thumb.jpg

post-4401-089253100 1290513263_thumb.jpg

post-4401-096321500 1290513284_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Finished loco, tender top painted green, lining on cylinders removed, double chimney fitted, lowered smokebox numberplate & lamp iron, Oh ! & finally weathered!!!

Cheers

Ian H

I've got a DJH version and plates for Bronzino too it's been 85% done for two years but that takes the biscuit that is top class stuff!

• RMweb Premium

The latest Haymarket steed soon to take up running duties. Bachelors Button given the "treatment" for transformation to Sayajirao circa 1957/58. I have not had time to take more photos of it in action on the main line on Longdrem but they will appear in the next photo batch of the layout sometime in December.

It involved quite a few amendments and after I finished it last week I thought that it didn't look right.

The following day with a fresh "eye" going over some photos of the real thing I noticed that the printed BB name had been placed too high on the deflectors by Bachmann. I had placed the new plates over the printed ones after repainting the deflectors and had not taken the wrong high placing into account. Prior to that it had received a fine coat of paint and the name was not totally obscured so before a second paint application I rubbed off the first few and last few letters leaving only the middle bit which would be covered by the new etched 60530 plates.

So it was back to square one which involved a paint stripper job then re-painting and re-fitting the plates! Quite a bit of cursing Bachmann was in evidence whilst doing this! In fact why do Bachmann print the name on when etched ones which are much better are included with the loco?

Unfortunately the loco, which is a fine model, is ruined by the seams along each boiler side. I was amazed that the review of the model in Model Rail did not highlight this retrograde step by Bachmann. I have a Blue Peter ordered and I feel that it will have to have the seams rubbed down which will then involve a boiler re-paint whilst trying to avoid a re-lining job. Placing Sayajirao beside a DJH A2 highlights the seam on the Bachmann model, unsightly to say the least.

post-2677-075198200 1290531160_thumb.jpg

post-2677-081637000 1290531019_thumb.jpg

post-2677-068631300 1290531052_thumb.jpg

The seam runs directly above the sandbox fillers and can be seen above them in the photos especailly to the left side of the boiler ( pic 2 above ) . Sadly the seam is very obvious on the models I have seen. It would be a nightmare to remove.

I cannot understand why it has been made that way either. If the other versions have different domes/ regulator rodding why put a seam there ?? lastly why make it pronouced as well ?

Bizarre:blink:

P.S Lovely loco well done

Very nice job Ian.

Did you have to fully repaint the tender, or were you able to find a good match for the Bachmann brunswick green for the tender top?

I'm toying with the idea of converting mine to Sayajirao with the late crest on the tender.

Jim, a two minute job I used Precision paints 101 BR Green the only paint I use when doing any painting. It is an excellent paint to use and can be painted on thinly with a good quality paint brush. Of course with it been weathered it was a doddle as it is covered in grime! but it is a very good match for most Bachmann BR Green loco's. When painting, softly softly is the way to do it, don't blather it on. I'm presently on with a Sayajirao again with lowered numberplate & lamp iron. I'm pleased you like it.

Cheers

Ian

The seam runs directly above the sandbox fillers and can be seen above them in the photos especailly to the left side of the boiler ( pic 2 above ) . Sadly the seam is very obvious on the models I have seen. It would be a nightmare to remove.

The seam is actually quite easy to remove and if you are weathering any marks can be hidden.

John

Your weathering and photography is truly inspirational, Ian. Thankyou.

I hope this slightly different version of my BB A2 will be of interest; I have edited or manipulated certain bits as I presume are obvious. They certainly are lovely models.

The title is simply 'Boy on bridge'.

Rob

A2_Boy_on_Bridge_best_r950_text.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The seam is actually quite easy to remove and if you are weathering any marks can be hidden.

John

Careful removal could be done without damage but disguising the two long lines after rubbing down is more of a problem as it is a plastic body which has a tendency to show such work through paint. That is where a kit comes into its own as any protrusion in the whitemetal or etched brass can be rubbed down to invisibility.

Granted the marks could be hidden possibly by a medium weathering and probably by a "Gateshead weathering". Unfortunately as I model Haymarket locos up to 1961 which were kept in a clean condition the aforementioned weathering styles are not an option! From late 1962 until September 1963 when steam was withdrawn there and transferred elsewhere their condition did deteriorate, however that was another story and it was tragic to see their neglected state for these last two or three years.

Your weathering and photography is truly inspirational, Ian. Thankyou.

I hope this slightly different version of my BB A2 will be of interest; I have edited or manipulated certain bits as I presume are obvious. They certainly are lovely models.

The title is simply 'Boy on bridge'.

Rob

Fantastic!

Love the light glinting of the valve gear. It really emphasises the 'heavy' cast quality of bachmanns motion. The depth to bachmanns motion (especially the con rods) (are they cast brass?) really sets their models aside from the thin etches that Hornby use. It makes a HUGE difference to the appearence below the running plate at anything other than side on views.

Careful removal could be done without damage but disguising the two long lines after rubbing down is more of a problem as it is a plastic body which has a tendency to show such work through paint. That is where a kit comes into its own as any protrusion in the whitemetal or etched brass can be rubbed down to invisibility.

Granted the marks could be hidden possibly by a medium weathering and probably by a "Gateshead weathering". Unfortunately as I model Haymarket locos up to 1961 which were kept in a clean condition the aforementioned weathering styles are not an option! From late 1962 until September 1963 when steam was withdrawn there and transferred elsewhere their condition did deteriorate, however that was another story and it was tragic to see their neglected state for these last two or three years.

I scraped the line off with the back of a scalpel blade and it came away easily, no need for rubbing down. It does lighten the green colour around it but that is easy disguised. I never mentioned "Gateshead" weathering.

Cheers

Ian H

Saw Bronzino in the flesh last night and it does indeed look very good. Sayajirao in bits, but on the way. Nice one Ian. :good_mini:

Ian any chance you can post a pic of Sayajirao?

Hi David, sorry at the moment I haven't got any as it is in very early stages of completion. I will have a 'Sun Chariot' 60527 & a 'Hornets Beauty' 60535 finished shortly so will put some pics of them up when finished. I am contemplating weather or not to put them on Ebay but not at the silly prices we can see at the moment. They will have late crest, lowered smokebox number/lamp iron, no lining on cylinders & top of tender painted correct BR green not black as delivered from Bachmann. I will also put a pic on of 'Sayajirao' once completed.

Cheers

Ian

Does anyone have the official line on availability of BP?

I notice that a certain shop in Sheffield have just increased their price by £30, so I won't now be buying one. Seems a dirty trick after waiting all this time, and probably a sign that delivery is imminent.

I notice that a certain shop in Sheffield have just increased their price by £30, so I won't now be buying one. Seems a dirty trick after waiting all this time, and probably a sign that delivery is imminent.

A certain well known Liverpool shop has also increased its price, except by 'only' £10.

Something fishy going on here.

I had BP preordered, and since the Sheffield shop has a 'price promise', they can't honestly charge me the new amount - or so the website says...

A certain well known Liverpool shop has also increased its price, except by 'only' £10.

Something fishy going on here.

Can you explain what you mean by fishy?

If it the shop that I presume you are refering to they have always had a flexible attitude to pricing, on a supply and demand basis. This way you can get some real bargins at times. They actually give warnings about price increases on some occassions.

Bernard

Fishy as in two of the largest model railway suppliers in the UK have both increased their prices for a certain item simultaneously.

The RRP of BP is £135, £10 more than it was for the other A2's and something which has been known about for quite some time, so why the sudden increase in prices by both?

The cynic in me suggests that they all know BP will be the biggest selling model A2 so far, both for those who want it as is and those who want an easier renumbering job, ergo they've hiked up the previously advertised prices at the last minute for a pre Christmas profit bonus.

If that remains the case then I'll buy the full priced model from my local shop, rather than pay exactly the same price (including postage) to have it sent from hundreds of miles away.

Before disappearing into obscurity (no offence to Barrow Hill), BP was one of the most famous locos in the country, having had celebrity status as one of the last ER pacifics and its raitour duties, the very long association with BBC Blue Peter including its renaming ceremony, and as a star mainline performer. I'd say up there in the top 20 locos, and when it was on the ML, probably the top 10, certainly for the gen. public, as well as enthusiast.

Demand for this model will be high, and when it is on the shelves it will have a 'recognition' factor, slightly less than FS, Mallard, and Tornado.

Which brings me to repeating my question as to why Bachmann have released it as a limited edition? Not only is the cost of the wooden box going to add to the retail price, but so is the limited status. Had they produced 2500 in a normal box it would be the same price (maybe slightly more due to demand) as the other A2s. Bachmann have done their sales no favours by limiting this one.

This said, I'm suprised it hasn't sold out on pre-orders, given both popularity and it being the only Kylchap/MultiValve release. This means it can be renamed/renumbered into one third of the class in BR Green!

Surely its a question of supply and demand. As lomg as the retailers honour any pre-order prices that they accepted orders on,I don't blame them for this price rise.At the end of the day their all in this game to make a profit,no profit no suppliers.One of the Estate Agents in my town put through flyers asking if we were interested in selling. I rang them and they said from seeing the house from outside it was worth £249.995. I said how can you say that and he said the Stamp Duty threshold is £250,000 so anything above that would put people off as the Stamp Duty then became 3%. Good Bye.

3 days later card through door with hand written message to ring. Worth a phone call,Ah! well got someone who really wants it,will list at £275,000 and you agree to pay the Stamp Duty of £8250 and still end up getting £266,745 for your house instead of £249,995.

As it happens I have no wish to sell, but if I did would anybody criticise me for doing so.I think not so whats different with these two retailers.

Regards.