Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The feel and ambience of a freezing, misty, winter day; the sun trying to burn the mist off, the bare trees, is superbly captured in the December shots.  I feel the need to put a warm jacket on just looking at them!

Our local flea pit cinema, long gone but a major part of my childhood, used to show Beau Geste or some film where a cowboy has to cross a desert to get away from the posse when ice cream sales were flagging.  Scott of the Antarctic or Nanook of the North would be trotted out whenever hot drinks were down a bit.  I also believed for many years that there were identical triplet ladies working here, the first of whom would sell you your ticket, then her identical sister would rip it in half, and the third of the wyrds would show you to your seat and sell you ice cream and kia-ora, which as everybody knew could only ever be obtained in flea pit cinemas.  I took some time for it to dawn on me that these were all the same middle aged woman!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the High Dyke photo’s which brim with both atmosphere and nostalgia. In J3131, with Deltc 9007 on the up Yorkshire Pullman in December, 1972, there is a truly atmospheric misty view of both the train and railway. What a splendid painting it would make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Kev. I think it is a Deltic. It looks like one, and is captioned as a 55. But the other loco looks very much like a 47 rather than a 31. I could be wrong.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I think there is a 31 on the very far right, in the sidings, as well as the 55 and 47.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Kev. I think it is a Deltic. It looks like one, and is captioned as a 55. But the other loco looks very much like a 47 rather than a 31. I could be wrong.

Best regards,

Rob.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks but I can see a 55, 47 and 31 in that photo. Busy spot with three trains in view!

Hi Dave, great pictures as always!

In J3691 there is a brick structure in the lineside next to what I assume is a signal box, it's right where the 4th and 5th carriages are coupled.

To me it looks like the base to a water tower, but I wondered if you knew what it was?

Thanks.

Mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I think there is a 31 on the very far right, in the sidings, as well as the 55 and 47.

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks but I can see a 55, 47 and 31 in that photo. Busy spot with three trains in view!

You’re quite right. I overlooked the 31! Sorry about that, and it was a very busy time when that photo’ was taken. ;)

Rob.

I've looked at that photo many times over the years and never noticed the 47.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. I particularly like C7532, with 47017 on an up speedlink train on the 23rd May, 1986. It makes a fine sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C1760, at High Dyke: interesting-looking bracket signal

I'd missed that first time round, thanks for pointing it out. Also note a small fire (at least something smouldering quite nicely) in the 'four foot' behind the signal box.

• RMweb Gold

I'd missed that first time round, thanks for pointing it out. Also note a small fire (at least something smouldering quite nicely) in the 'four foot' behind the signal box.

I suspect it was from the ashpan of the Avonside "Fred" which had worked the coaches to High Dyke from Market Overton that day.

There is no smoke in a later photo so it must have gone out (or been put out).

David

C6664 the 101 driving trailer would not have been 54028, as that was a Cl 114 unit.

There were a group of 101 DTs numbered between 543nn and 544nn - I forget the exact range - so presumably it would have been in there.

Sorry to be so pedantic :-)

FYI, re C6112:  20 070 is only recorded as having worked three times in August 1983, each time with 20 143. Firstly, on Sunday 28th August, on 1E28 (08:56 Derby - Skegness) and 1M83 (18:00 Skegness - Derby);  secondly, on Monday 29th August, on 1E85 (08:58 Burton-on-Trent - Skegness) and 1M47 (18:37 Skegness - Burton-on-Trent);  finally, on Tuesday 30th August, on 1E04 (09:37 Derby - Skegness, an unadvertised relief) which failed on arrival at Skegness. 

However, the second loco in the photo appears to me to be disc-fitted. The first is very clearly 20 070, so either the loco has worked again that month and not been reported in the RailGen archives or else there is a query over the date?

Added:  Looking further into it, 20 070 did work at the end of July 1983, paired with disc-fitted 20 073. On Tuesday 26th July they worked 1E04 (09:37 Derby - Skegness, an unadvertised relief) and 1M07 (18:10 Skegness - Derby, an unadvertised relief);  on Wednesday 27th July they worked 1M47 (18:37 Skegness - Derby) but the outward working is not recorded, although it would almost certainly have been 1E85 (09:29 Derby - Skegness).

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham to Grantham line photo’s at Radcliffe on Trent photo’s. In particular J6392 at Radcliffe on Trent with a class 114 unit on a Grantham to Nottingham service in February, 1979 - one of the rare days without snow and ice! It’s interesting to see that the DTCL has the window vents painted in blue, unlike the DMBS which has the more usual treatment of unpainted metal.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

FYI, re C6112:  20 070 is only recorded as having worked three times in August 1983, each time with 20 143. Firstly, on Sunday 28th August, on 1E28 (08:56 Derby - Skegness) and 1M83 (18:00 Skegness - Derby);  secondly, on Monday 29th August, on 1E85 (08:58 Burton-on-Trent - Skegness) and 1M47 (18:37 Skegness - Burton-on-Trent);  finally, on Tuesday 30th August, on 1E04 (09:37 Derby - Skegness, an unadvertised relief) which failed on arrival at Skegness. 

However, the second loco in the photo appears to me to be disc-fitted. The first is very clearly 20 070, so either the loco has worked again that month and not been reported in the RailGen archives or else there is a query over the date?

Added:  Looking further into it, 20 070 did work at the end of July 1983, paired with disc-fitted 20 073. On Tuesday 26th July they worked 1E04 (09:37 Derby - Skegness, an unadvertised relief) and 1M07 (18:10 Skegness - Derby, an unadvertised relief);  on Wednesday 27th July they worked 1M47 (18:37 Skegness - Derby) but the outward working is not recorded, although it would almost certainly have been 1E85 (09:29 Derby - Skegness).

I've had another look at my notes and also Dad's.

I suspect that the actual date is 26th July 1983, the unadvertised Derby to Skegness relief - you have have seen that it is a shorter train than usual.  I've altered the date in the caption and in my notes.

Many thanks,

David

The Nottingham to Grantham line today, with photos at Radcliffe on Trent (again), by Rectory Junction and the location where Sewstern Lane crosses the line.

attachicon.gifSewstern Lane crossing 20070 and ano Derby to Skegness Aug 83 C6112.jpg

Sewstern Lane crossing 20070 and ano Derby to Skegness probably 26th July C6112  not August

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Feb 79 J6392.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 114 Grantham to Nottingham Feb 79 J6392

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent rail replacement bus March 80 J6822.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent rail replacement bus March 80 J6822

attachicon.gifRadcliffe on Trent Class 120 Skegness to Nottingham Jan 79 J6388.jpg

Radcliffe on Trent Class 120 Skegness to Nottingham Jan 79 J6388

attachicon.gifRectory Junction 56070 empties to Cotgrave April 80 J6836.jpg

Rectory Junction 56070 empties to Cotgrave April 80 J6836

David

I hope you don't mind, I posted a direct link to the photo of the Class 120 in the thread where I am building one. Your photo is wonderfully detailed. I also included a link to this thread recommending it greatly. I can remove the linked photo if you wish.

I haven't seen a photo of a Class 120 with the details above the middle windows on each car still there in blue livery. Were they some kind of vent? On later photos of the class, all the photos I have seen in blue livery, they had been removed. There were there in all the green liveried photos I have seen.

Many thanks for sharing the photos, and especially this one of a Class 120, you can see such a lot of detail in it.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

C1760, at High Dyke: interesting-looking bracket signal

The distant looks to be a later addition, possibly when the down starter was converted to a colour light as it would be further from the box and the distant then acted as a reminder to drivers to watch out for it.

• RMweb Gold

I hope you don't mind, I posted a direct link to the photo of the Class 120 in the thread where I am building one. Your photo is wonderfully detailed. I also included a link to this thread recommending it greatly. I can remove the linked photo if you wish.

I haven't seen a photo of a Class 120 with the details above the middle windows on each car still there in blue livery. Were they some kind of vent? On later photos of the class, all the photos I have seen in blue livery, they had been removed. There were there in all the green liveried photos I have seen.

Many thanks for sharing the photos, and especially this one of a Class 120, you can see such a lot of detail in it.

Jamie

Jamie,

That's fine,

David