Austrains' British Venture

Markeg

This announcement was published in the latest October Australia Model Railway Magazine here in Australia.  I was shown it when I went to visit a friend who models Victorian Railways and subscribes to the magazine.  I don't know if any one has put it here, which is surprising it has not been listed as the magazine has been out for over a week.

This is what it says;

"Austrains principal John Eassie, has entered into a partnership with un-named British interests to produce OO scale models for the British market.  The new venture, to be known as Britrains, expects to have their first locomotive, a Midland Railways/LMS prototype steam locomotive not previously offered r-t-r, to be released onto the British market sometime in 2015/2016"

That is all its says, so can not give any more details.  So another manufacturer for the British market coming soon. 

If I hear any more I will let you all know, unless someone else knows more than I do.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Interesting development. This could be an extension of various enterprises commissioning their own models from established manufacturers who already have experience in dealing with the production side at factories overseas (assuming that Austrains come from China?) - such as seen with retailers Kernow, Rails, Hattons etc - the magazines like Model Rail, or NRM/Locomotion - all exclusives in partnerships with an established manufacturer.

• RMweb Premium

Austrains is an Australian company that supplies RTR models to the local market. As per normal, they originate from China. Don't know who his UK partner is.

Thanks Craig - so as they already have stock made for them in China, it wouldn't make sense to partner a UK manufacturer but more likely to use their China contacts to make something for a UK retailer. Or I could be completely wrong !!

Next question - what Midland/LMS steam loco is on the wish list . . . . . ? ?

• RMweb Premium

I had a look at some Austrains models while in Australia earlier this year. Very nice but I wonder if they can get the price right for the UK?

and if its Midland and big... a 7F ( which isn't a true Midland loco but close enough to being one...)

I had a look at some Austrains models while in Australia earlier this year. Very nice but I wonder if they can get the price right for the UK?

and if its Midland and big... a 7F ( which isn't a true Midland loco but close enough to being one...)

Barry,

The Australian market is somewhat smaller than the UK one. I have a couple of mates in "the business" and a typical loco run out here will be between 1800 and 4000 units depending on how many livery variations can be done.  I suspect the UK market will be larger so more units should result in lower costs. As with the others, I was trying to think what LMS/MR loco it could be. I would assume it is underway by now..

CraigW

• RMweb Premium

But it does show the fragmentation of the industry from the big boys. Outsourcing manufacturing to China has really opened it up , where you can have several small suppliers signing up with possibly the same manufacturers as the big boys. What now differentiates Hornby and Bachmann from anyone else ?Really a fascinating time in the industry. Also I think recent price hikes have actually encouraged new entrants. Looks to me that DJ Models prices are pretty competitive if not less than Bachmann and Dave can still make a living. I suppose with Austrains they need a distributor in UK

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Austrains is an Australian company that supplies RTR models to the local market. As per normal, they originate from China. Don't know who his UK partner is.

Regards,

Craig W

Indeed so thanks Craig - and this is one of their products, which I bought at the show at Liverpool (NSW) in 2004.  NSWGR Class 80 from the Austrains Basix (as they call it) range.  seen on my then 'under construction' portable layout, which was not Aus outline.

post-6859-0-80239700-1411685785_thumb.jpg

I'm really hoping for a Midland 0-4-4T as that might be a bit of a game changer for me but I hope this can be substantiated.

It seems slightly odd to me, to enter into new markets when you wanting to retire? See 5th July item.

http://www.austrains.com.au/news.html

Unless they consider the British angle would add considerable value to their company?

Cheers,

John.

I'm really hoping for a Midland 0-4-4T as that might be a bit of a game changer for me but I hope this can be substantiated.

It seems slightly odd to me, to enter into new markets when you wanting to retire? See 5th July item.

http://www.austrains.com.au/news.html

Unless they consider the British angle would add considerable value to their company?

Cheers,

John.

John Eassie has been talking about retiring and going fishing for nearly as long as I can remember. He has been involved in Australian model railway manufacturing since the early 1980s with RTR ventures dating back to that time. 

Adding value to the company could be a possibility, though I must admit that I took the blurb in AMRM to be a partnership with someone in the UK, so I am not sure how much it will be tied to the current Aussie company.

Craig w

It has to be a LTSR 79 class 4-4-2T, also built by the MR and LMS...

Such attractive machines and clearly successful given their length of service on the job they were designed for - they were finally  withdrawn pretty much contemporary with Sir William Stanier's much later 0-4-4T design - with a preserved specimen and all which is a good marker for the esteem in which they were held. They seem to have faded out of the model railway conciousness based on recent wishlisting; which is a shame.

I have just sent an email to a Austrains rep who attends our exhibition here.  I doubt that he can say anything and it is also school holidays here and he has children and would think he is away.  If I here anything I will post asap.

I am surprised that nothing has been announced, since it has been published in the AMRA.  Though I have just thought the major Sydney New South Wales Model Railway Exhibition is on in October, so they may wait till then to reveal anything.  That is around 10 hours drive from where I live. 

We will have to wait with patience again.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Such attractive machines and clearly successful given their length of service on the job they were designed for - they were finally  withdrawn pretty much contemporary with Sir William Stanier's much later 0-4-4T design - with a preserved specimen and all which is a good marker for the esteem in which they were held. They seem to have faded out of the model railway conciousness based on recent wishlisting; which is a shame.

While not widespread, they were long lasting and a model of Thundersley as preserved would surely be pretty enough to attract impulse purchases.

Archived