Your chance to put questions forward to Hornby

Andy Y

Hornby related content with announcements and other issues have been the hot topics over the last few days and Nat Southworth, Hornby's Sales and Brand Director has kindly agreed to respond to RMweb readers' questions once again.

If you put your questions forward in this topic I'll distill it down to the dozen most relevant and cogent and put these forward to Nat who will respond accordingly. I'll close the topic off for potential questions at the end of Thursday.

So; get your questions in and make them good ones, don't just ask what will be announced next month as we'll find that out in due course anyway.

Over to you!

Will there be an updated version of the 4-6-0 County in the near future?

With such specific questions it's unlikely you'd get an answer other than "possibly" so it would be better to ask something along the lines of "Does Hornby have plans to update models which have been in the range for many years to contemporary standards or will they concentrate on items they haven't produced before; and what would be the criteria for making decisions like that?"

• RMweb Premium

Can you please find out why the Hornby's latest King Arthur R3010 emerged in an identical condition to the other SR releases as opposed to that originally illustrated (minus smoke deflectors as E771) back in 2012 when it was first announced.

Can we also have an indication of whether Hornby are willing to issue further variations in future as in terms of SR versions they still many configurations still to do for this era that surely must produce a better return than duplicating what has been issued before.

• RMweb Premium

1. What are Hornby's plans for train and coach packs (i.e. no track/controller just loco/coaches/wagons) now that tooling is being spread over a number of factories? Will this limit the combinations that can be produced?

2. Does Hornby plan to progressively reintroduce all the highly detailed locomotives previously produced by Sanda Kan, or will some be retooled (and perhaps simplified) before we see them again (especially if the SK tooling won't fit the new factories' machines)?

• RMweb Premium

Why are Hornby squeezing the margins of the shops they sell to to the extent that they are doing?  Is this simply the rookie marketing error of assuming that if they double the price of the models they can halve the margin for the shops and the shop still gets the same amount of margin, which ignores the fact that the shops also have increasing costs to cover?

Are Hornby changing their traditional supply role and intent on getting their customers (hobbyists rather than retail outlets) to pre-order models in advance? Personally I don't like this approach for a number of reasons, but faced with the challenges of actually finding a retailer who has stock of a specific Hornby model suggests that I will either have to consider this approach or accept that I will be unable to obtain the model all together. (I'm not sure if that is a question?)

As noted above, I think the major question is a clarification of manufacturing settling down and over what time scale will the various outstanding models (and those to be announced on 17th Dec) will be released.    I think that this is possibly the key question that Hornby could answer.

• RMweb Gold

Could Hornby please clarify just what happened with the recent Exeter etc models, which were much reduced in number. Dealers received a fraction of their order, yet Hornby then offered them on their website. Should modellers now abandon dealers when they want new Hornby models? Why weren't dealers told anything useful in advance of the small consignments actually arriving? In short, what is Hornby's forward policy about dealers vis a vis its online sales?

• RMweb Gold

2. Does Hornby plan to progressively reintroduce all the highly detailed locomotives previously produced by Sanda Kan, or will some be retooled (and perhaps simplified) before we see them again (especially if the SK tooling won't fit the new factories' machines)?

That is very much my question, particularly important for me re the Hornby Bulleid light pacifics. I still want more of them!!

• RMweb Premium

Will Hornby acknowledge that while they are free to trade as they see fit that their business model appears to be disadvantaging retailers and end-customers alike.  With specific reference to the recent shortage of R3099, R3105 and R3129 which have all been short-delivered resulting in pre-orders being unfulfilled while Hornby retain stock for direct sales.  How does Hornby intend its rail products be distributed in the future - via the general retail network, only via concession outlets or only by direct sales?

• RMweb Gold

How many manufacturers do you now have on line to ensure the manufacturing and delivery problems of the last few years does not continue?

This is answered in the Half Yearly Report - which says 15 engaged in model railway manufacture for Hornby - but that does seem a lot so is it for all things and not just model railways.

My own question - why do models seem to continue to come forward to retailers in dribs & drabs with one batch arriving then another some time later?  (apart from which it does seem a very inefficient as a way of doing business).

Will Hornby acknowledge that ... their business model appears to be disadvantaging retailers and end-customers alike. ...

Well, presumably only disadvantaging the end-customers of those same retailers, not the end-customers of Hornby's own website?

Which is not to minimise the angst felt. But exaggeration won't help the argument.

Paul

Has Hornby abandoned the concept of "Design Clever"?

Does Hornby see the future of sales of being mixed between trade and direct sales - if so, what proportion of each does the company see as its goal in the future?

Hornby's range is quite broad and varied, with a lot of tooling thats old and does not meet the standards of more recent products. Even with the success of Railroad does Hornby envisage re-evaluating exactly what is in its range, to make standards and products more consistent and at what price products come to market?

Hornby has endured problems with supply and have taken steps to address this. Does this mean Hornby believe they are ahead of competition that are now starting to experience similar issues?

Hornby's finanical state has caused concern with the ammount of finance required behind the scenes. Have recent changes, including at board level, lead to the company being on a more sound footing, given that aqusistions of similar model companies have ceased and other products aimed at events like the London Olympics mean the company can concerntrate on selling its core modelling products to regain income and turnover?

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps foolishly I am on Facebook. I regularly get sent messages from Hornby which can only be described as trivial in nature. The lack of information coming from the company recently regarding the availability of models and the resultant rumour fest has damaged the reputation of the company in the eyes of many enthusiasts. Many of us feel that this has been quite unnecessary.  What steps is Hornby taking now so that in future it will use all the avenues open to it to be far more transparent regarding changes to models, their availability and arrival in the shops. Is there anyone actually responsible for corporate communications at Hornby?

Godfrey

You could ask why he has spoken to the Administrator of RM Web but no one at Hornby is willing to speak to one of their Retailers? No disrespect to Andy but he doesn't have to pay Hornby tomorrow to settle his account.

I believe you'll be receiving a call today if you haven't had it already.

Is the re-appearance of the Hornby stand at Warley with Simon this year a one off or are you returning to the exhibition circuit ?  With Hornbys move into direct marketing, will this be combined with the exhibition stand as companies such as Bachmann and Dapol currently do ?

Has Hornby abandoned the concept of "Design Clever"?

Does Hornby see the future of sales of being mixed between trade and direct sales - if so, what proportion of each does the company see as its goal in the future?

Hornby's range is quite broad and varied, with a lot of tooling thats old and does not meet the standards of more recent products. Even with the success of Railroad does Hornby envisage re-evaluating exactly what is in its range, to make standards and products more consistent and at what price products come to market?

Hornby has endured problems with supply and have taken steps to address this. Does this mean Hornby believe they are ahead of competition that are now starting to experience similar issues?

Hornby's finanical state has caused concern with the ammount of finance required behind the scenes. Have recent changes, including at board level, lead to the company being on a more sound footing, given that aqusistions of similar model companies have ceased and other products aimed at events like the London Olympics mean the company can concerntrate on selling its core modelling products to regain income and turnover?

Just to add to this...

Is Hornby going to make a clear and obvious distinction between 'main range' and Railroad products going forward?

At the moment there are models that are actually somewhere in-between....look at Duke of Gloucester and Tornado, for example.

The main range models of these two locos are really enhanced Railroad models. They do not compare with the level of detail found, for example, on the main range Flying Scotsman.

Archived