LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

That lettering is also odd. I note, though, that at least some of these were built by outside contractors: is it possible they were also built for other companies? GSWR was the first thing which came to mind when I looked at that lettering.

I think it is G (obscured by the framing) CR and on the other door the running number and yes it has 3(rd) on the grooms compartment.

I doubt if the doors were 'standard' between horseboxes and other stock 100 years ago. Note also that it has a 'T' door handle on the door to the Hay/tack etc store

Tony

Roof fittings as above mentioned in the Model Rail article. Vents appear to be the type shown by me in castings picture I posted earlier in the article picture. Steve Banks also fits a additional vent/filler? in front of the chimney no idea what it could be and not obvious in the photos.

Hi Mick,

Loco and van looking good.

Mentioning Steve Banks, I have found that he has a new book due out in January on LNER Train Formations.

Did you know about that? I certainly will look out for this one.

LNER Passenger Trains & Formations 1923-1968 Steve Banks & C Carter jan 2013 us$43

I have ordered Modelmaster J-E Sir Nigel gresley nameplates to fit on my Blue Sparrow Hawk as they were 20% off, so succumbed.

Also a LNER Lining sheet and Liverpool nameplate and No for BR B17 when they arrive.

Mark

Edited by Markeg
  • Like 1

Mick, as always, everything looks really good. I meant to ask you, Is helensdale and thusly the stud of locomotives, based off any particular area/motive power depot? Or do you just model whatever engines take your fancy - yet make them historically accurate to the time period? This is in no way a criticism!

All the best - Jack :)

No total fiction with a NE area theme.

I model all of the LNER period, so I can if I wish, divide the Locos running to various periods of the 25 year existence of the LNER.

e.g 1923-1928, 1928 into WW2, Post war to 1948. This is based on various liveries & lettering/numbering styles used by the LNER.

I must admit Helensdale is too small for enough storage sidings so various periods do get mixed up !!.

As a result I painted all the LNER (mostly ex NER Skaledale) buildings in the first colours used Brown/Cream not the later Green/Cream and just presume they are waiting for a repaint.

Cheers.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A O4/8 started following Graeme Kings excellent design. Using a altered Bachmann B1 body mated to the Bachmann O4.

Just needs final clean up,the next step priming then adding numerous rivets to Boiler,Footplate and Cab areas.

On seeing the photos I have now removed a bit more from the front of the Boiler saddle to level the Boiler and tweaked the handrails.

post-7186-0-81371700-1350230933.jpg

post-7186-0-58598000-1350230940.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 10

I've been contemplating doing a conversion like this for a while Mick. I'll need to PM you.

Hi David

Bill Bedford is in the process of doing a 04/8 resin body to fit the Bachmann chassis, available Feb or Mar. Maybe save yourself a bit of work

Ian

• Like 1

Hi David

Bill Bedford is in the process of doing a 04/8 resin body to fit the Bachmann chassis, available Feb or Mar. Maybe save yourself a bit of work

Ian

Yeah I've been waiting for that for 12 month unfortunately.

Have you seen the quality of theBedford O4/5 version ?

http://www.lner.info...ll bedford o4/5

It will take you longer to get a decent finish on that one than build a copy of Graeme Kings version !! Horrendous pitted body, Wonky handrails etc....

Well, Bill has thrown his lot in with 3D printing as he believes it to be the future. Who knows, he may make fewer errors in this medium than he is famous for in etch design.

• Like 1

It will take you longer to get a decent finish on that one than build a copy of Graeme Kings version !! Horrendous pitted body, Wonky handrails etc and save you about £35 as well !!

http://www.mousa.biz/info/2012/08/loco-bodies/

Yeah I've been waiting for that for 12 month unfortunately.

12 months really?? It's only been listed for 9.....

If you real want one, then put your money where your mouth is and put up a deposit for one. Otherwise I'm just going to take such comments as frothing.

http://www.mousa.biz...08/loco-bodies/

If you real want one, then put your money where your mouth is and put up a deposit for one. Otherwise I'm just going to take such comments as frothing.

Bill, I apologize for miss-representing you, I thought it was longer. But as regards a deposit, I placed a deposit for an O4/8 quite a while ago. Sorry to take this off topic Mick.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

http://www.mousa.biz...08/loco-bodies/

Polite as ever Mr Bedford , yes I gave up waiting as you never reply to polite requests for updates. I dont require a response .

No problem David

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2

Yes Archers as presumed. I wouldnt have contemplated doing the Cab otherwise, not cheap but worth every penny for the end result.

Just done the other side of the Cab took about 30 mins.

Then final primer coat and then topcoat in particular the underneath of the Boiler, I doubt the paint would reach underneath if assembled due to the solid Bachmann footplate.

Then final assembly of the Body to the Footplate and some minor filling, before the Reversing Rod can be fitted.