Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for that excellent side portrait of H&BRly, number 17. I’m sure it will look great as a Gauge 1 model.  Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner on Flickr, we go, in time to 1967, and see, one Sunday, in that year, three EE Type 3’s, later class 37’s. They are D6737, D6730 and D6738. They are at Dairycoates, 50B.

3373582233_b9ea777f29_h.jpgSunday Trio by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Mick, for that excellent side portrait of H&BRly, number 17. I’m sure it will look great as a Gauge 1 model.  Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner on Flickr, we go, in time to 1967, and see, one Sunday, in that year, three EE Type 3’s, later class 37’s. They are D6737, D6730 and D6738. They are at Dairycoates, 50B.

3373582233_b9ea777f29_h.jpgSunday Trio by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Amazing that 6738 is still in traffic today 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo' by Graeme Phillips, on Flickr, we go to Gilberdyke in c1983. The train s a two car class 111 DMU, which you can tell by the smooth battery boxes and large radiators. It on a service to Hull from Doncaster.

Class 101 DMU @ Gilberdyke Junction, 1980s [slide 8506]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. Firstly, it's many thanks to you, Mick, for the info about yesterday's Gilberdyke photo'. I thought it looked like you, but just in case I was wrong, I didn't say anything. Well, perhaps the year is more like 1986 - perhaps we'll never know for definite.;)

Well, this afternoon we go to Selby, courtesy of another photo' by Graeme Phillips on Flickr. It is the 28th July, 1975, and we can see a TransPennine class 124 complete with a buffet car - which must have been just about to have been withdrawn from use by that date.

Class 124 DMU @ Selby, 28/07/1975 [slide 7502]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon, courtesy of another photo'by Graeme Phillips on Flickr, we go to Bridlington, on Thursday 7th June. 1984. Arriving at platform four is an unidentified class 101 two car unit on the 10.25 Hull to Scarborough service, arriving at Scarborough at 12.02.

Class 101 DMU @ Bridlington, 07/06/1984 [slide 8438]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, everyone. Firstly, it's many thanks to you, Mick, for the info about yesterday's Gilberdyke photo'. I thought it looked like you, but just in case I was wrong, I didn't say anything. Well, perhaps the year is more like 1986 - perhaps we'll never know for definite.;)

Well, this afternoon we go to Selby, courtesy of another photo' by Graeme Phillips on Flickr. It is the 28th July, 1975, and we can see a TransPennine class 124 complete with a buffet car - which must have been just about to have been withdrawn from use by that date.

Class 124 DMU @ Selby, 28/07/1975 [slide 7502]

Best regards,

Rob.

The 124s were very impressive when in original formation especially in blue and grey. Were the formations of the six cars always in the same order?

On 25/04/2022 at 22:15, russ p said:

Cheers Mick.  I thought it was originally double but 8t must have been slewed as not much rom for a second track

January '73 for the singling. Boxes at Speeton and Flamborough were downgraded with Bempton eventually becoming a frame on the platform.

Details from my scanned copy of the Weekly Operating Notice for Jan 1973

"BETWEEN BRIDLINGTON QUAY AND HUNMANBY
Double line working has ceased and the Up line between Bridlington Quay and a point where the line is slued into the Down line at approximately 40 1/2 m.p. (near the Hunmanby Down Distant) and the Down line from there to Hunmanby is now a Single line worked in both directions under the Electric Token Block Working Regulations. The adjacent redundant sections of the Down and Up Main lines will, except as shown below be subsequently removed.
310 yards of the Down Main are being retained at Bridlington Quay as a Shunt Spur and a 440 yards Up Main over-run retained at Hunmanby.
A new facing crossover has been brought into use at Hunmanby for Up direction movements from Up Main to Single line and a new facing crossover has been provided at Bridlington Quay for Down direction movements from Down Main to Single line.

Bridlington Quay 

The Down Home No.2 and Down Starting signals have been abolished. 

The former No.1 Platform Down Home signal is now the No.1 Platform Down Home (Platform Starting) signal to Single line and an off-set disc mounted on the signal post has been provided applying towards the new Shunt Spur (former Down Main).
The former No.2 Platform Down Home is now the No.2 Platform Down Home (Platform Starting signal to Single line) and an adjacent ground disc has been provided applying towards the Shunt Spur.
The double disc formerly applying - shunting - Down Main to Nos.5 or 4 Platform lines or (lower disc) towards the Sidings now applies (Upper disc) Shunt Spur to Nos.2 or 1 Platform lines and (lower disc) Shunt Spur to Sidings .
The Up Home 3-aspect colour light (No.36/37) has had the diamond sign removed and this signal is now the Up Single line Home to Nos.4 or 5 Platform lines."

The single line now enjoys two trains an hour throughout the day - the busiest the section has been outside the summer Saturday heydays.

Edited by Railpassion
Detail
  • Informative/Useful 6

7 hours ago, russ p said:

The 124s were very impressive when in original formation especially in blue and grey. Were the formations of the six cars always in the same order?

They were usually formed as seen with the power cars at the outer ends. The brakes could be either way round ie in or out.

Al Taylor

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Railpassion, for posting the scan of the weekly operating notice for January, 1973. It is most interesting and fills in a gap in my knowledge of the singling of the line between Bridlington Quay and Hunmanby.

Now, this evening we go to Hull, courtesy of a photo’ by Graeme Phillips, on Flickr, and watch, what was once an everyday sight, as on the 12th October, 1978, a class 101 unit departs a rundown looking Paragon station on the 14.17 to Leeds.

Class 101 / 111 DMU @ Hull, 12/10/1978 [slide 7824]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

On 08/05/2022 at 21:04, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo' by Graeme Phillips, on Flickr, we go to Gilberdyke in c1983. The train s a two car class 111 DMU, which you can tell by the smooth battery boxes and large radiators. It on a service to Hull from Doncaster.

Class 101 DMU @ Gilberdyke Junction, 1980s [slide 8506]

Best regards,

Rob.

The vertical exhaust silencer to the left of the engine (when looking broadside) identifies this as a Class 101.Also, the Norwich set number "50" is visible - Class 111s not allocated there in the 1980s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, thank you, EddieK for the information about that 101 DMU. Looking again at the photo’, you are right and I’ve got it wrong. 😉

Well, for this evening we stay in Hull, and, on an unknown date, courtesy of a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we see Peak, number 168 departing on train 1D03. 

509254802_0fee65b283_c.jpgParagon Peak (i) by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr, we go to Scarborough, and, on Saturday the 10th June, 1978, watch 40040 arriving on the 08.36 service from Wakefield.

78 204 100678 Scarborough 40040

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, we go to Selby, thanks again to a photo’ from the KDH archive on Flickr. We see, on the 15th July, 1978 - the day I moved  house from Beverley to Leconfield and got my current layout started - 37193, of Thornaby, on an up rake of empty ore wagons. 

78 251 150778 Selby 37193

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

While very nice to see. pictures at Selby  Selby as a point of pedantic order Selby was actually in the West Riding and is now in North Yorkshire.  Mind you this thread goes well into areas beyond East Yorkshire so does it really matter?

Quite correct Mike, however, Riccall, as you know, is but 5 miles further north on the former route of the ECML and up to the 1970s was in the East Riding. Sadly though, not many photos seem to be available of the railway at Riccall, certainly not as many as at Selby.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly about the inclusion of Selby in this thread. At the beginning I thought I would try and keep things simple and make the ‘boundaries’ of the railways of East Yorkshire as follows:

Hull, Bridlington, Scarborough. Then Scarborough, Malton, York. Then York, Riccall, Selby and finally, Selby to Hull, with an excursion to Goole. I think it makes sense, or some lines would end in the railway equivalent of a field! ;)

So, this evening we stay in Selby and watch a four car class 104 unit departing on the 11.25 to York, on the ECML, on the 12th October, 1978. The photo’ is from Graeme Phillips on Flickr.

Class 104 DMU @ Selby, 12/10/1978 [slide 7834]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

For something different a couple of shots of the abandoned tub run trackwork at Riccall mine after closure. (My copyright)

NB Will add the date taken when I can find the originals,  I used these in a Powerpoint show in 2012 but they are from earlier than that, best I can do from my index without turning the house upside down looking for notebooks is = scanned from a batch of slides taken in June or July 2003.

img171.jpg

img176.jpg

Edited by john new
Dates added.
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Given the chat about Selby here is a one I grabbed circa 1975 one winter morning going in to work. An unidentified Deltic traversing the swing bridge heading south. Apologies for the quality.

selby swing snow.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening we go to my home town of Beverley, and see, thanks to a photo' by Graeme Phillips on Flickr, a four car class 104 - they got quite well used on services in and out of Hull - on the 15.35 from Scarborough to Hull, on the 17th July, 1976. Yes that long, hot summer.

Class 104 DMU @ Beverley, 17/07/1976 [slide 7617]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2022 at 11:45, iands said:

Quite correct Mike, however, Riccall, as you know, is but 5 miles further north on the former route of the ECML and up to the 1970s was in the East Riding. Sadly though, not many photos seem to be available of the railway at Riccall, certainly not as many as at Selby.

Apart from mine - very few in number and several of very dubious quality although I did post one previously on RMweb - one of the now lost ones alas.  I even took a colour transparency of a passenger train (DMU) standing at the down Platform at Riccall working one of the unadvertised 'Rowntree's Factory' staff trains as they were known - taken from the level crossing end of the platform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've none of Riccall but will post a few (when I have time to scan the prints) that I shot at the site of Escrick station just before the pre-diversion ECML was closed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and John, I look forward to you being able to scan and post the prints of Escrick when you can. Now, this evening we go back to Hull, and watch a three car Calder Valley class 110, departing on the 13.49 service to Scarborough on the 19th July, 1980. Again the photo’ is courtesy of Graeme Phillips on Flickr.

Class 110 DMU @ Hull, 19/07/1980 [slide 8062]

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, john new said:

I've none of Riccall but will post a few (when I have time to scan the prints) that I shot at the site of Escrick station just before the pre-diversion ECML was closed.

Delving through the (family) archives, I think I've found a couple of shots of Flying Scotsman (in the Pegler era) passing southbound from what appears to be the road bridge by the site of Escrick station (a bit vague, I'm hoping someone can confirm/deny the details).  There are three earlier shots as it gets closer, one of which clearly shows up a set of pylons, and looking at the OS maps, the only place that they cross the line in that area is just north of Escrick.

flying-scotsman-4a.jpg.59c0559e89581a3e52fa66ee811830ba.jpg

flying-scotsman-5a.jpg.59589321794143d10fa57e63d630244e.jpg

Adrian

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Adrian, for posting those photo’s of Flying Scotsman from what is probably Escrick on the then ECML. Hopefully someone can confirm the exact location of the photo’s, but it sounds like it is just north of where the former station was.

Now, this evening we go to Scarborough, courtesy of another photo’ by Graeme Phillips on Flickr, and can see, on platform seven line, a class 104 DMU. It has probably worked in from Hull for those services used number five quite a lot back then. The train to the left is a class 110, with the lower height of the windows either side of the connecting gangway of the TSL being a good clue, and to the right are some Mkl carriages on number eight platform line. A busy scene on a day in about 1970 - unfortunately no date is given.

Class 104 DMU @ Scarborough, early 1970s [slide 7202]

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct platform numbers.
  • Like 14