Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Indeed, I doubt there's any worry about TTTE copyright, that was long settled since the time the franchise owners(Don't know who did it exactly) tried to sue the Bluebell over Stepney being IEG...said case was thrown out of court immediately cause the livery is of course, historical and the engine wore it well before it was featured in the original books, let alone the TVS.

Why Hornby stubbornly refuses to make any of the IEG livery variants Stepney has been in throughout preservation truly astounds me. Like there is no good reason I can think of, cause it is THE most demanded terrier as far as I can tell, they'll be able to tap into that TTTE market (in the sense of how it appeared in the books and the show), they have the livery drawn up already for the A1x and they'd just have to make a couple small changes cause we got Brighton Works a couple years ago, and lord knows many of those Brighton Works have been converted INTO Stepneys lol. 

Given how knackered the real Stepney is (it has badly cracked frames and a boiler needing a serious amount of work IIRC) I'm surprised that it hasn't appeared in some sort of 'limited edition' setup with the Bluebell receiving a share of the receipts.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

The club exclusive:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/sr-terrier-0-6-0t-662-martello-era-3-club-exclusive-r30217

Martello as it has run since 2016. Martello was never, I understand, an IoW engine yet gained an extended bunker in BR days. Despite this product being marked as era 3, it seems to be more a preservation era model as it would not have had the extended bunker when it originally wore olive green. Please correct me if I'm wrong! If I manage to see the real Martello before the model comes out, it might be worth joining the collectors' club for.

You are correct - '62 gained the extended bunker from, IIRC, '77 upon the latter's withdrawal - the extra range being very useful on the Hayling Island branch on summer Saturdays. So this is very much a preservation-era-only livery. 

The IoW set:

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/isle-wight-central-railway-terrier-train-pack-era-3-r3961

The Hornby 4 wheelers seem to look good in this livery. The engine is 11 Newport, which currently sports olive green, but has worn the black IoW livery in preservation previously and therefore the model can cross-era roles. I find it a bit odd that a 3 coach train needs so much braking and luggage capacity, but an attractive set all the same.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is a particularly odd one as the coaches look to be done as IWR 'Oldbury' stock, with the distinctive stained-glass toplights. The loco I believe is fairly accurate though. A better combination of coaches for the Island would be BT-T-C-BT, as per the Stroudley and Billinton sets that were sent over just after grouping.

I have noticed that many are calling for Stepney in A1x IEG across social media. It still makes sense to me as a sure-fire seller. I really can't understand why either terrier-producer has shied away from this for so long. Perhaps there are concerns about TTTE copywright, but Hornby's Lion announcement today makes me think that they feel confident they can get around this kind of thing. I have so far backed the Rails terrier, but whoever produces this first will get my money. Same for 672, though Dapol having produced this in O gives me hope that we may see it in OO in the not too distant future. I just hope that Rails saw sufficient return from their first batch to give them confidence to run another.

'72 would be an obvious one to do for the anniversary, as she's the oldest survivor.

Edited by Nick C
correction from 50 to 77...
  • Like 2

Yes the Oldbury image carriages in the IWC trainpack are rather odd,  a better bet would have been to omit the distinctive blue glass toplights in which case they would have been a better pass for some of the other varied collection of IWC stock.

Actually  Oldburys did run on the IWC with this loco livery, during WW1 the Central took over and ran some of those withdrawn by the IWR in 1914 for extra wartime trains to Cowes for the shipyards. The Oldburys however are very small and nothing like the generic Hornby carriages, likely they remained in the IWR livery possibly with the garters painted out.

Pete

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Current release dates according to the Hornby website:

Spring 2022

R3960 Great Western Train Pack

R30123 Kent & East Sussex Railway Terrier Pack

R30217 SR B662 (Club Exclusive)

Autumn 2022

R3961 Isle of Wight Train Pack

R30122 BR DS680

Edited by Paul.Uni

• 1 month later...

I enclose a picture of some of my collection of Hornby and Dapol terriers.  On the Hornby site the price of the R30008 BR terrier 32640 is £120,99 which is now more than the Rails terrier that is £110.  You can still obtain Hornby terriers for less than £100 and the cheapest I found was £84.99 whereas I think you have to pay the full price for the Rails version.

The new Hornby terrier is lower than the older models and I assume that the new Hornby version is correct.

P1030045.JPG

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 21:11, G-BOAF said:

Do we know if the KESR pack will be Poplar as built (as per the CGI images) or as per its current restoration i.e. as an A1X?

Your guess is as good as mine. I have been regularly checking the Terrier Trust web site and there have been very few updates as regarding the Bodiams overhaul. Looks like they keeping it very close to their chests as to how she’ll be when she’s finally finished.

My guess for the pack is I don’t know.

On 24/02/2022 at 15:38, Robin Brasher said:

The new Hornby terrier is lower than the older models and I assume that the new Hornby version is correct.

The Terriers were very low locos and, as built, the buffer bases stood up above the footplate by 3".  Even then the buffers were lower than later locos.

When Terriers were converted for motor train (push pull) working the buffers were raised using large brackets above and below the footplate.

The old Dapol/Hornby Terrier body sat too high on the chassis.  This would not have been so bad but they made the situation worse by modelling the raised buffers.  This meant that the buffers tower over other stock.

The new Hornby model is correct and they have modelled locos with and without the raised buffers.

The brackets for the raised buffers would have made fitting the extended Isle of Wight bunker impossible so, on the locos sent to the Island by the Southern Railway, the brackets were removed and the buffers lowered again.

Rodney

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...

Updated release dates:

Spring 2022

Autumn 2022

R30122 BR DS680

Winter 2022/23

• Informative/Useful 1

On 14/05/2022 at 20:55, Paul.Uni said:

Updated release dates:

Spring 2022

Autumn 2022

R30122 BR DS680

Winter 2022/23

Less than a week later and the following have new dates:

Winter 2022/23

R30122 BR DS680

Summer 2023

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi folks - the motor on my Stepney has stopped working. Specifically it keeps shorting in one direction (I've removed it entirely from the rest of the locomotive so it's definitely the motor at fault.).

Has anyone else had this problem? 

Fortunately there's a replacement motor on eBay for £10.

But pretty poor! I bought this new and have looked after it well since I got it, haven't had it running continuously for hours on end...so not sure why it's suddenly failed me.

Any advice gratefully received, David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hi folks - the motor on my Stepney has stopped working. Specifically it keeps shorting in one direction (I've removed it entirely from the rest of the locomotive so it's definitely the motor at fault.).

But pretty poor! I bought this new and have looked after it well since I got it, haven't had it running continuously for hours on end...so not sure why it's suddenly failed me.

Morning David. 

First bit of advice is do not pay £10 for a replacement motor. If this is one of the new breed of Hornby Terriers then the motors are only £4ish new. 

James and Lendon in Cardiff will assist. 

Rob . 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hi David, sorry to hear this, the motors are normally good, but I had to replace one of mine a while back.

As has been said before please look up Lendons as they charge a fair price for spares and are not into profiteering!

I made this video looking at the insides of the motor which might be of interest?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 24/05/2022 at 09:58, mikesndbs said:

Hi David, sorry to hear this, the motors are normally good, but I had to replace one of mine a while back.

As has been said before please look up Lendons as they charge a fair price for spares and are not into profiteering!

I made this video looking at the insides of the motor which might be of interest?

Thanks Mike and to @NHY 581 for your advice, the video was helpful. I had already got the motor for £10 (inc postage) but will be sure to use Lendon's another time, I have used them before!

Have soldered it in and seems to be OK on testing - now to run it on my layout and check it's all right!

On 24/02/2022 at 22:11, G-BOAF said:

Do we know if the KESR pack will be Poplar as built (as per the CGI images) or as per its current restoration i.e. as an A1X?

I have just placed my order having read the article onthe BBC website this morning. It appears from the packaging that POPLAR has the sandboxes forward of the front splasher suggesting an A1X conversion, KNOWLE deos not suggesting a traditional A1.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Matabiau said:

I have just placed my order having read the article onthe BBC website this morning. It appears from the packaging that POPLAR has the sandboxes forward of the front splasher suggesting an A1X conversion, KNOWLE deos not suggesting a traditional A1.

The other way around - 2678/Knowle is an A1X, sandboxes under the footplate. 70/Poplar is depicted on the packaging as an A1, with the shorter smokebox and original above-footplate sandboxes. In reality, she's an A1X, but retained the original sandboxes when her boiler was swapped by the original KESR in the 1940s. It remains to be seen in which guise the actual model will be produced.

The GWR terrier has as followed:

• brass painted condensing pipes (unlike the lack of pipes in the official images)
  • short SR lamp irons (should be GWR ones)
  • no rivets on the smokebox door straps
  • black Westinghouse pump (idk proper colour)
  • correct chimney
  • hose is on wrong side of bufferbeam

Coaches are the same overall printing, just with a shirtbutton emblem instead. 

A friend shared his images with me, as mine hasn't arrived yet. Overall impressions of the train pack looks to be really good! Green looks to be decent! I know I'm nick picking it, but everything mentioned can be easily changed if incorrect. It looks damn good 😃 

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 2

Does anyone else feel somewhat offended that Hornby should chose to boost their price of the No 5 Portishead model by creating a train pack with 3 weird 4 wheel coaches in a pre 1908 livery but with a 1934 - 42 roundel?  The coaches should have the entwined monogram to be correct for the rest of the livery.  Yes, I know the roundel is correct for the locomotive but it only worked around the Bristol Harbour lines, to Taunton for a couple of months and then Newton Abbot as shed pilot (RCTS) for a couple of months before going to Swindon Stock shed in 1950 and condemnation in 1954.  I cannot believe it ever hauled a passenger train whilst owned by the GWR.  Oh well, I suppose we must take the rough with the smooth.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MG 7305 said:

Does anyone else feel somewhat offended that Hornby should chose to boost their price of the No 5 Portishead model by creating a train pack with 3 weird 4 wheel coaches in a pre 1908 livery but with a 1934 - 42 roundel?  The coaches should have the entwined monogram to be correct for the rest of the livery.  Yes, I know the roundel is correct for the locomotive but it only worked around the Bristol Harbour lines, to Taunton for a couple of months and then Newton Abbot as shed pilot (RCTS) for a couple of months before going to Swindon Stock shed in 1950 and condemnation in 1954.  I cannot believe it ever hauled a passenger train whilst owned by the GWR.  Oh well, I suppose we must take the rough with the smooth.

Well, they're also doing the Isle of Wight Central Railway terrier with a set of coaches in Isle of Wight Railway livery, depicting a type that were all withdrawn well before grouping...