Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Please point out the brown one..........I've only got a Black & White license....,🙂

It's the one next to the green one... 😉

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2022 at 06:46, Edwardian said:

Er, yeah ...

image.png.155a7a486d4cbe3c6abf5cd99a415dea.png

Left, a Hornby GWR 4-wheeler. The brown one is the Hattons equivalent.

Mmmmmm.........

Well, if the colour is as your photo suggests, why did you even accept it ? 

Surely you should have returned it to where ever it was purchased from. 

By accepting/retaining  it, you've effectively agreed it's as described, therefore accurate. You've bought into the take it or leave it scenario. By taking it you've told Hornby it's okay. 

Personally, I wouldn't have purchased the coach but I would add that I've not seen any which are as green as that. Mind you, the dark earth end of the Hattons coach isn't much better. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Mmmmmm.........

Well, if the colour is as your photo suggests, why did you even accept it ? 

Surely you should have returned it to where ever it was purchased from. 

By accepting/retaining  it, you've effectively agreed it's as described, therefore accurate. You've bought into the take it or leave it scenario. By taking it you've told Hornby it's okay. 

Personally, I wouldn't have purchased the coach but I would add that I've not seen any which are as green as that. Mind you, the dark earth end of the Hattons coach isn't much better. 

Rob. 

I think you've missed the point here. It's the same colour as all the Hornby GWR generic short coaches, of course, but the brown has a green cast to it. Often it looks a dull brown, sometimes a rather muddy brown and at other times the greeniness really comes out, as you see in my picture.  There was a a press photo in the announcements section of, IIRC, Model Railway, where the brown of the sides looked green.  

In contrast, the brown on the Hattons coaches always looks brown.

There is something in the Hornby brown that gives it a greenish cast, in some conditions more noticeable than others. 

This colour is what this colour is, whether one calls it "brown" or "green".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I think you've missed the point here. It's the same colour as all the Hornby GWR generic short coaches...

Having had a good look at the more recent Hornby GWR bogie coaches at the last couple of shows, I think they have a muddy green cast to the dark brown as well. So is is not just the 4 and 6 wheeled short coaches. In fact I have some of the Collett suburbans (R4877A for example) and they also have the green tinge.  Kind of gives Hornby a problem, they can either stay consistent so that at least their coaches match each other, or they can change it and risk having those that don't have any third-party coaches complaining.

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated release dates on the Hornby website:

R3961 Isle of Wight Central Railway, Terrier Train Pack - Winter 22/23

R30122 Departmental, Class A1 'Terrier', 0-6-0, D.S.680 - No date given

R30123 K&ESR Terrier 150th Anniversary Pack - Winter 23/24

R30217 SR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 662 'Martello' - Winter 23/24

Surprised no 2023 Fenchurch announced by Hornby given its Bluebell relaunch this year. They could have done a twin-pack with Stepney!

I guess in absence of them I will have to order 662 in her preserved collectors club format, especially given release seems to be 12 months away

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2022 at 13:54, Edwardian said:

I think you've missed the point here. It's the same colour as all the Hornby GWR generic short coaches, of course, but the brown has a green cast to it. Often it looks a dull brown, sometimes a rather muddy brown and at other times the greeniness really comes out, as you see in my picture.  There was a a press photo in the announcements section of, IIRC, Model Railway, where the brown of the sides looked green.  

In contrast, the brown on the Hattons coaches always looks brown.

There is something in the Hornby brown that gives it a greenish cast, in some conditions more noticeable than others. 

Are you havin a laff ?

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ighten said:

Reminds me of that picture of a dress everyone sees differently. Looks brown to me. 

As an aside what was the departmental terrier actually used for, what sort of wagons go with it? Etc

It was the Carriage and Wagon works shunter at Lancing Works from 1952 until probably 1962 when it was put back to original condition as Waddon and shipped to Canada.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It was the Carriage and Wagon works shunter at Lancing Works from 1952 until probably 1962 when it was put back to original condition as Waddon and shipped to Canada.

Lancing would make a good subject for a micro layout for anyone who likes building coaches - no need for whole sets, any combination you like would work! 

• Like 3

A small update on the collectors club Martello in SR green model

I had the usual "action required on your preorder" email the other day. Hornby speak for you need to give us your card details again. Meaning they are either in stock or will be very soon 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

A small update on the collectors club Martello in SR green model

I had the usual "action required on your preorder" email the other day. Hornby speak for you need to give us your card details again. Meaning they are either in stock or will be very soon 

Think a few people have received them already.. in fact there's a cpl on u tube

10 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Can you share a link? All I can find are videos of R3783 2662, not R30217 B662.

As I said  the vids gone but someone on the Hornby forums has a pic on there layout.. look on the what's your latest acquisition thread.

Is Martello as preserved? Or as in service? I remember Hornby did 2662 a while back but that was 'in service' condition with the condensing 'domes' on the tanks. 

In absence of other 'as preserved' terriers (except for BR Fenchurch in the first batch), Martello might be a good candidate for me, if indeed it is in this condition

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Is Martello as preserved? Or as in service? I remember Hornby did 2662 a while back but that was 'in service' condition with the condensing 'domes' on the tanks. 

In absence of other 'as preserved' terriers (except for BR Fenchurch in the first batch), Martello might be a good candidate for me, if indeed it is in this condition

Preserved.

Look at the photos at the bottom of this page.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/32662-lbscr-62-martello-lbscr-662-sr-b662-br-2662-sr-32662/

Jason